SASS Wire Forum

Amtrak...?

So I need to go to the Bay Area tomorrow to see Ms Doxna, who sadly isn't doing well.

Unfortunately/Fortunately, the throw-out bearing on my truck lunched itself yesterday. Unfortunate that it did so; fortunate that it did so five miles from home instead of 150 miles from home!

Anyway, the local Amtrak station is less than a one minute drive from home, and the same for the other end - a 12 minute walk to Doxna's house. AND for one person cheaper than fuel alone for driving!

Been a while since I've taken the danged thing, but I understand that it now has Wi-Fi, charging ports for laptops, and all sorts of other goodies.

Curious, though... wonderin' if they'll let me take a thermos of Arbuckle's on board! :rolleyes:

Mrs. Lose and I take it on occasion and have a great time. Beats sitting in parking lots called highways. The Arbuckles shouldn't be a problem, IMHO.

Lots of people bring their own beverage on the train. bring your java and enjoy!

Yay...! ^_^

Thanks, Virgil!! ;)

Well.... there is this hollowed out Early American History book containing a replica of Booth's derringer that she wants to give my son... :rolleyes:

Thanks, LL ^_^

Mrs. Lose and I took Amtrak up to Seattle from San Diego once and there was so much track repair going on that they bussed us most of the way, seems Amtrak gets kicked off the rails when a lot of track repair is going on.

Well.... home at last. Not a bad way to travel... but!

This morning's train was 2 1/4 hours late. That's a long time to stand on a concrete platform. I asked, and was told that a freight train engine had caught fire.... which I think is "conductor-ese" for they ran over somebody.

And when the train finally arrived, it was Amtrak engines but not Amtrak passenger cars. Seems someone decided to augment the Central Valley's Amtrak fleet with.... '60's vintage, recycled New Jersey Transit cars. Nicely refurbished, but significantly smaller, and with narrower seats with less leg room... and crowded!

The return trip on a real Amtrak train was quite comfortable. :)

Hi HC,

I've only used it once, years ago, to travel from Sacramento to San Francisco for training. We had to transfer from train to bus at Emeryville. It was wonderful. The three of us were the last people on the bus and, instead of dropping us at the scheduled stop, the bus driver took us to our hotel. We all wrote the company bragging on him, without telling all the details.

I hate driving in the bay area. So, this was a wonderful solution.

Uh oh, I guess I'm too late and you've already decided.

Hope you had a nice trip!

AM

Allie, the trip was bittersweet... You may recall a thread I started just under a year ago about my friend "Doxna," asking for prayers. Actually, you were the last poster! Doxna

Anyway, her surgery was rough, but she made it... only to be diagnosed about three months ago with cancer. She's now in hospice; I got the "call" Friday afternoon, and spent yesterday afternoon with her. A week ago she was still driving, doing chores, and helping friends with various tasks... but now has few days left.

I'm grateful that the train was available.

Archived