SASS Wire Forum

My electric reloader

Sage Creek Gus  SASS #64320

I see discussions about Dillon 650's etc and thought you might be interested in seeing my reloader which is powered by an electric motor and a one revolution gearbox.

The gearbox is out of a semi automatic pin spotter from a bowling alley that was removed when it the bowling alley was remodeled in the 1950's.

My dad made this reloader in about 1960. Between him and I we reloaded many thousands of rounds threw the years. When I started Cowboy Action shooting in 2005 I brought it out from Iowa and added my Bonanze Co-ax press so it now has two presses on it.

Below is a picture. The foot pedal out of an old sewing machine makes it go and when the cycle lever is moved to the right the gearbox makes one revolution and then shuts off. This cycles both of the presses.

I set on a stool with my foot on the foot pedal and operate the cycle lever with my knee, this leaves both hands free. It takes about 1 second for the gearbox to cycle.

When I'm reloading I place the fired case in one reloader to resize it and knock out the old primer. At the same time the other press is expanding the case and belling the mouth.

I seat primers with a RCBS hand primer seater.

Once the cases are primed I put the powder in and seat and crimp the case for a finished round. Sometimes I seat the bullet with one press and apply the crimp with the other, both with one cycle of the press.

The nice thing about this is while the press is cycling I can be getting ready for the next two cases because my hands are free.

While it's hard to measure I think I can load about 300 rounds in an hours time.

reloader.jpg

Sage Creek Gus

That is very cool. My father-in-law used to reason out and build cool stuff like that.

Dillon, take note.

Combine the 650 with a gearbox and the electronics from one of those Dillon mini-guns. Voilá....!! Reload 6000 rounds per minute !!

That is very cool. My father-in-law used to reason out and build cool stuff like that.

Dillon, take note.

Combine the 650 with a gearbox and the electronics from one of those Dillon mini-guns. Voilá....!! Reload 6000 rounds per minute !!

With or with out powder??

Texas Lizard

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Is that a Steam Punk system?

Oops. I reckon not. I see the motor is 120 VAC.

Mustang

If you got the money...a PW power unit is avaliable with safety clutch and a Mr. Bullet feeder and you have the modern version for your 650...google around...lots of videos

I understand its eazy to get a finger cut off on auto presses.

I've been using this press since 1960 and haven't even come close to getting anything caught in it.

It is pretty determined to complete it's cycle however. I ran a 38 special case in once when I was reloading 32 20's. Ended up with a itsy bitsy accordian.

SCG

Archived