SASS Wire Forum

OH HELL! Why not? ... (or, I can't make this $#1+ up)

Cat Brules

Are you pissed off enough yet in general at the insanity of government? No? Then read this and then chase it with a half-bottle of the pink sludge.

Cleveland Kidnapping Update: Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus, Michelle Knight may get state govt. payments

Entire Article at this link: (if you can stomach it after reading this excerpt)

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57587663-504083/cleveland-kidnapping-update-amanda-berry-gina-dejesus-michelle-knight-may-get-state-govt-payments/

(CBS/AP) COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio state repesentative John Barnes Jr. wants to provide yearly relief payments and free rides to college to the three women who were abducted and held captive in Cleveland for nearly a decade, allegedly by Ariel Castro.

Barnes planned to introduce the Survivors of Abduction Act. If passed by the full state legislature, it would provide Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight with a minimum of $25,000 per year and tuition, fees and living expenses at a public college. The money would come from tax dollars.

The bill would also provide anyone held in "involuntary servitude" for at least eight years with government medical assistance. The three women would receive medical aid for life.

Castro was charged with rape and kidnapping in May after Berry, DeJesus and Knight escaped from his home. The women were in their teens and early 20s when they were abducted.

According to Barnes, a Democrat, lawmakers from both parties have expressed support for the bill, which would contain the women's names.

A spokesman for Ohio House Speaker William Batchelder said he hadn't yet seen the legislation.

"Society is not going to be kind to them regardless of whether or not they were in this situation or not. It's going to view, `Well, what have you done? What do you have to offer?'" Barnes said. "So, I thought: Let's look at how we could restore what they would have received had they in fact had an opportunity to have their freedom."

================================

Oh yeah, @$$#Le? Why don't you pay them out of your own resources? Society didn't do this to them. Remember that guy Castro? You know, the guy with the "big testicles" that Mr. Charles Ramsey ate ribs with all the time? Yeah, that guy. HE'S THE ONE THAT DID THIS, not Society!! Why not put Charles Ramsey on a State pension, too. Hell, he's gotta be gettin' tired of those McDonalds hamburgers!

---- NOTE: See the Charles Ramsey interview here. A must-see:

I think his reasoning is that because LE did have contact with the thug while he was holding the women prisoner, "society" dropped the ball on finding and rescuing them. I can see picking up the tab for college, doesn't really cost the state all that much, really. I can think of far worse things that states pay for.

I think his reasoning is that because LE did have contact with the thug while he was holding the women prisoner, "society" dropped the ball on finding and rescuing them. I can see picking up the tab for college, doesn't really cost the state all that much, really. I can think of far worse things that states pay for.

I disagree. You are entitled to your opinion, of course.

However, in my view, your argument defending this proposed legislation, is something for the courts; not to burdon Society with and it sets a precident. Anyway, best wishes.

I went back and forth on it. I think the bill as proposed goes way too far. And if the police had not visited him several times on disturbance calls while he was holding the women I wouldn't even go for paying tuition for them. But if my reasoning about why the capon proposed it is valid - LE not finding them even though they were at the house - I can see picking up that tab, as I said, in reality it doesn't really cost that much.

How about we sort of meet half way - the state confiscates all the guys property, sells it off, and splits it among the women?

I did not see anyone in California offering up college for Jaycee dugard or her kids. What about the boy I think in Kansas that was held for so long I think about 8 years.

Painted Filly

I did not see anyone in California offering up college for Jaycee dugard or her kids. What about the boy I think in Kansas that was held for so long I think about 8 years.

Painted Filly

I could be wrong on this, but I think it's common for private benefactors to step up and make such offers... which I suspect are often passed on. :mellow:

If these women don't get help and educations and significant rehabilitation after their ordeal, then they will become lifelong burdens on society.

That doesn't justify state action. If the police failed in their duty, let them each sue and reach a settlement based upon damages and liability if their suit establishes legal responsibility.

Actions that benefit named individuals with tax dollars strike me as being beyond the scope of governmental authority.

There's a local fund that was started as soon as the women were rescued and it's in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Rye

Archived