SASS Wire Forum

FW 190 in forest in Russia

Subdeacon Joe

They consider that "remarkable shape"?

I'm feeling much better about myself now. :lol:

Looks like the lifting effort kinda crunched it. It took me a little bit to realize that it was upside down. that's gonna be one heck of a restoration, if they can even get it back to at least what it looked like when it took off from France :o:(:blink::blush:

Just some info: My father flew the 109, when the 190 became available to the eastern front, being a senior pilot. One was assigned to him. He said it was fast, and easy to fly. But after many flights he requested and received a chance to trade the 190 for the 109 he had flown. He said that above a certain ceiling it became clumsy and the air starved engine in the cold ceiling of Russia effected its performance. It also was harder starting in the cold of the Russian front, even after adding kerosene to the oil to lighten it. He said the 109 was better for pulling out of a dive and the minute he felt the plane rise, he brought the wheels up and was able to reach ceiling faster.

He did say they later improved it, and ceiling maneuvering improved. But he enjoyed the 109 more. Ground fire is what brought him down. I asked many times how many planes he had shot down, but he would never answer the question. But later in life he said he always thought more about the other pilot, then the plane that did go down. Same for when they strafed ground vehicles, including tanks, he would mention it, but that was the extent. MT

Looks like the lifting effort kinda crunched it. It took me a little bit to realize that it was upside down. that's gonna be one heck of a restoration, if they can even get it back to at least what it looked like when it took off from France :o:(:blink::blush:

I believe they are going to display it as is, like this betty bomber at chino ca.

http://www.peterlgrant.com/albums/ChinoMuseum/IMG_2463.jpg

That Betty looks to be in much better condition.

I think they should have just left the Dornier alone.

Just some info: My father flew the 109, when the 190 became available to the eastern front, being a senior pilot. One was assigned to him. He said it was fast, and easy to fly. But after many flights he requested and received a chance to trade the 190 for the 109 he had flown. He said that above a certain ceiling it became clumsy and the air starved engine in the cold ceiling of Russia effected its performance. It also was harder starting in the cold of the Russian front, even after adding kerosene to the oil to lighten it. He said the 109 was better for pulling out of a dive and the minute he felt the plane rise, he brought the wheels up and was able to reach ceiling faster.

He did say they later improved it, and ceiling maneuvering improved. But he enjoyed the 109 more. Ground fire is what brought him down. I asked many times how many planes he had shot down, but he would never answer the question. But later in life he said he always thought more about the other pilot, then the plane that did go down. Same for when they strafed ground vehicles, including tanks, he would mention it, but that was the extent. MT

Love reading the stories about your dad that you share with us, MT. I find it interesting to get the straight goods from "the wrong side."

Many Russian planes, especially Fighters, were still constructed using wood. They were also more heavily armored to protect the pilot and or crew. This made for a slow fighter, and slow maneuvering. Early in the war, they did have a serious problem with the cold. I remember dad telling a neighbor that if a Russian fighter came from behind, all one had to do was loop to his rear, and being careful to make it a wide loop otherwise at the end of the loop, you might find yourself slamming into a Russian tail. MT

Archived