SASS Wire Forum

Wow, I 5 Bridge collapsed in Washington State.

That's bad. I wonder if I went over that bridge last year when I was delivering to the Home Depot up there? (Or was it a Lowes, I can't remember!)

Could be. Clay. There is only one major bridge across the skagit river and this one is it. Alternative routes to Canada and Bellingham will be either over a smaller bridge in Mt. Vernon or around through Eastern Washington.

Last report that there were two people in the water, sitting on top of their cars. One was rescued but the other is trapped in what appears to be a pick up truck. Truck cab is out of the water but I do not know if he is alive or not. A first responder is there but the driver is trapped in the cab and the current is becoming a factor.

Hope it all works out okay, prayers for that poor guy.

Why did the bridge collapse? Was it old and crumbling? Sounds like a big lawsuit is coming.

Rye

Well, information is sketchy right now. Looks like no major injuries or fatalities, which is a miracle. Bridge was built in 1955 and had been inspected and given a poor rating. Wife just said that divers were in the water and so I donno. Reported 75,000 cars a day go over the bridge.

The good news is that I can still get to Lake Sixteen and McMurray to fish.

Hwy 9 has a two lane bridge just east of Mount Vernon/Burrlington. If you google map Mt. Vernon and go east you can see the size of that bridge. Eye witness says that an oversize truck hit the bridge and passed over it and then it collapsed. Big law suit here if that is what happened....

Update, PSE and Seattle City Light are closing down the dams upstream to lower the water, but that will take hours to affect the area of impact. It is raining now which may or not be an issue in the area, but the river appears to be moderate in height.

Last week we had a warm spell and the runoff from the Cascades was quite high.

The eye witness saw the marker poles on the Pilot Car hit the bridges upper steel girders,

But it was so close to the over-size truck it couldn't have stopped at 60+ mph.

Law suits are comin' fer shure :(

The eye witness saw the marker poles on the Pilot Car hit the bridges upper steel girders,

But it was so close to the over-size truck it couldn't have stopped at 60+ mph.

Law suits are comin' fer shure :(

Bear in mind that the trucking company probably only has a couple million limit on their insurance. Nowhere near enough to pay for a bridge, probably barely enough to pay for the vehicles and any personal injuries. Plus, the lawyers will take a big ol bite out of it. News reports I heard early was nobody was killed, which is a miracle in itself.

At least one of of the three people involved in the water, was released from the hospital today.

His account was pretty hairy. His wife was unconscious and close to the water. He managed to

get out on the running board and pull her to the drivers's side to keep her out of the water, which

was waist deep in the cab.

Archived