SASS Wire Forum

can I use my Black Hawks in senior gunfighter?

diablo slim

There is no official senior gunfighter category. If a local allowance, you'll need to check their unique rules.

Besides the above answer, see below:

Seniors are competitors 60 years of age or greater. Senior Duelist is also a recognized Senior Category. Senior Duelist category shooters may use any SASS–legal firearm or ammunition but must shoot Duelist or Double-Duelist Style only,

I would have to go with Mink on this one, even though it says senior Gunfighter, Gunfighter in it'self breaks it down to the fixed sight revolvers.

KK

This is an interesting question. One would think senior dualist/GF would be an offshoot of dualist/GF categories and not the age based category itself. Based on the gun regulations that's not entirely the case. I would presume the presidence set forth by the senior dualist category would make Blackhawks legal in senior Gunfighter.

There is no official senior gunfighter category. If a local allowance, you'll need to check their unique rules.

Besides the above answer, see below:

Seniors are competitors 60 years of age or greater. Senior Duelist is also a recognized Senior Category. Senior Duelist category shooters may use any SASS–legal firearm or ammunition but must shoot Duelist or Double-Duelist Style only,

DUELIST

Any Main Match fixed sight model revolver.

Page 12, SHB.........

Just pointing out the written rules here and where to find them, Any club can have other categories and exceptions and their own rules to be used in any match anytime. Given enough shooters, most clubs will offer or create categories to accommodate them............

Mink..............

Most matches that offer SGF use the same rule as for Senior Duelist...i.e it is considered a "subcat" of the age-base Senior, which allows adjustable-sighted revolvers.

PaleWolf Brunelle,

The title of the category probably gives me my answer, but here goes. How about using percussion revolvers in Frontier Cartridge or FCGF? The rules state any main match revolver and percussion revolvers are considered main match.

Thanks,

Tully

PaleWolf Brunelle,

The title of the category probably gives me my answer, but here goes. How about using percussion revolvers in Frontier Cartridge or FCGF? The rules state any main match revolver and percussion revolvers are considered main match.

Thanks,

Tully

Percussion revolvers are allowed in ALL categories (subject to caliber restrictions).

They are specifically allowed in ALL BP categories...and required in Frontiersman.

REF: SHB p.14

Most matches that offer SGF use the same rule as for Senior Duelist...i.e it is considered a "subcat" of the age-base Senior, which allows adjustable-sighted revolvers.

Glad PWB posted it.

As it was also my understanding thaqt it was aged based and legal.

The B-Western category allows for shooting Gunfighter with adjustable sighted revolvers.

The "regular" Gunfighter category does not.

It would be "odd" to not allow "regular" Gunfighters the use of adjustable sighted revolvers but allow it when someone decided to have a "Wrangler, 49er, Senior, Silver Senior ... etc etc etc" Gunfighter category at their match ??!? (Which should be possible since none are regular categories anyhow) ...

IMHO as always .. .(post will probably get deleted anyhow)

Pete

edit: If they are primarily "Seniors" then you would think that the requirement to shoot Traditional or Duelist would trump ... ie: wouldn't Senior Frontier Cartridge shooters still have to shoot black powder (a Frontier Cartridge requirement not an age requirement) or following the same train of thought ... we let them fall back on the "age based" definition where such a requirement does not exist???

The B-Western category allows for shooting Gunfighter with adjustable sighted revolvers.

The "regular" Gunfighter category does not.

It would be "odd" to not allow "regular" Gunfighters the use of adjustable sighted revolvers but allow it when someone decided to have a "Wrangler, 49er, Senior, Silver Senior ... etc etc etc" Gunfighter category at their match ??!? (Which should be possible since none are regular categories anyhow) ...

IMHO as always .. .(post will probably get deleted anyhow)

Pete

edit: If they are primarily "Seniors" then you would think that the requirement to shoot Traditional or Duelist would trump ... ie: wouldn't Senior Frontier Cartridge shooters still have to shoot black powder (a Frontier Cartridge requirement not an age requirement) or following the same train of thought ... we let them fall back on the "age based" definition where such a requirement does not exist???

I suspect the rational for Senior Gunfighter using adjustable sights is similar to Senior Duelist. Not only a Senior subcategory but also adjustable sights are better for old eyes. If they were not, why would there be any issue. One day I expect we will have Senior and even Silver Senior categories for other shooting/clothing styles like B Western, Frontiersman, etc allowing adjustable sights in those Senior and Silver Senior sub categories. Shooters in the sport just keep getting older.

It was voted on a few years ago to allow them in regular Duelist and GFer.

But got voted down.

most of those that voted to not allow it. Did so because it did not LOOK cowboy enough. (insert goofy face here)

Then they go grab there 97. (insert another goofy face here also)

Thanks PWB :)

Archived