SASS Wire Forum

"A nickel a bullet is all we ask...!"

What a concept - this'll for SURE solve all the crime problems in the Windy City~! :rolleyes:

County official proposes bullet tax to curb Chicago crime

Waitaminnit... Huh?? :huh:

Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle will submit a budget proposal Thursday that calls for a tax of a nickel for each bullet and $25 for each firearm sold in the nation's second-largest county, which encompasses Chicago.

Preckwinkle's office estimates the tax will generate about $1 million a year, money that would be used for various county services including medical care for gunshot victims. Law enforcement officials would not have to pay the tax, but the office said it would apply to 40 federally licensed gun dealers in the county.

Must be one heck of a sales boom in Chicago since gun ownership was made legal... no pun intended. :lol:

Hmmmm - I guess firearm business will thrive in other counties. Seems a way to get the gun dealers out of Cook County all together. if no one is buying in Cook County there will be no tax revenue :wacko:

It's a shame that the honest gun totin' civilian has to take the blame (via paying this stupid tax) for a criminal's actions.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

A rope applied with judicious frequency might relieve the problem.

But they are certain that removing the guns and ammunition will quell the problem. The fact that it has

not worked elsewhere is little or no bearing on the problem. Next, a tax on deadly hammers?

Just the numbers are curious...

Directed at 40 dealers, they're expecting an average tax revenue of $25,000 from each per year - a bit over $2,000 per month.

Do gun dealers in Chicago do that much business?? :huh:

ABC News did a companion story about all the gang-related shootings in Chicago.

Included was a sound bite from Rahm Immanuel asking "What's wrong with you? Who raised you?"

Answer:

You and your kind did.

The gang-bangers are the children of the liberal welfare state Mr. Mayor.

And you have the blood of every dead young man on your hands.

Wow, A nickel a bullet..That would be what? $2.50 on an average-sized box of pistolo ammo?..Could we be seeing the opening of the gates to much higher taxes on ammo? I remember years back when the anti-gun politicos were saying let's raise the taxes on firearms and ammo and make them so expensive to own that they could simply be taxed out of existence..This may be the tip of the iceberg, a trend that could spread and that grow to a nationwide thing.. :angry:

Scary times, these.. :unsure:

Just the numbers are curious...

Directed at 40 dealers, they're expecting an average tax revenue of $25,000 from each per year - a bit over $2,000 per month.

Do gun dealers in Chicago do that much business?? :huh:

I live in a suburb of Chicago, but not Cook County. I don't know of one gun dealer that is actually in the city of Chicago. They're all in the suburbs, some in Cook County, and this would affect them. Luckily I live in DuPage county and I think Cook County should have a wall built around it. You'd have to be nuts to buy ammo in Cook County. I can drive 5 minutes west and be in Kane county and the ammo is even cheaper than DuPage county. The solution to this travesty?......drive out to DuPage county, buy your equipment and components and RELOAD!

:FlagAm:

ABC News did a companion story about all the gang-related shootings in Chicago.

Included was a sound bite from Rahm Immanuel asking "What's wrong with you? Who raised you?"

Answer:

You and your kind did.

The gang-bangers are the children of the liberal welfare state Mr. Mayor.

And you have the blood of every dead young man on your hands.

You get a cigar amigo!

GG ~

I live three miles from fredie bear"store" his prices are very high.His main bisness is selling bows and arrows and those prises are high . I buy my weapons and ammo either in will county or across the state line in indeana.Kemps gun shop in mishigan city indeana is a good place to by cowboy action stuff if you dont mind old man kemps gruffy attitude,but at the the same time everyone else in the shop are very nice.

Remember back in about 04 or 05 when Koretz et al. tried it in CA because of the "high cost of treating gunshot patients" was driving hospitals out of business? I did some research. Gunshot wounds made up about 2% of hospital (usually ER) patients, and accounted for about 5% of the red ink on the books. Treating uninsured illegals was responsible for a full third, actually a bit more like 35%, of the red ink. Got a letter in the paper about that. Also pointed out that it amounted to about a 325% tax on ammo, that is based on the bulk box stuff at Wal-Mart prices. Adds $27.50 to one of those boxes.

While we're talkin' 'bout Chicago and Illinois in general, it brings out a thought of mine. Every morning I watch the news and there are about 4 to 5 shootings, and 1-2 sexual assaults every day in Chicago. Makes me think of how many of those instances would be curtailed if only the citizens were able to defend themselves with concealed carry. I just don't get it.

I ahve spent some time in both IL and NY in the past few months. Seems like both states are mostly rural with farms supporting the people living on the vast majority of the land (some it if very beautiful with likely hunting potential). But, both of these states have exterem gun laws that are driven by two populus and liberal cities that rule over the vastness of the rural areas. One fellow that I talked to was amazed that I could buy a pistol at a whim with my CCW in NC while he had to wait up to a year and obtain three personal references to buy one gun.

No thanks. It made me appreciate my state and those of other more freedom-oriented peoples. I'll never be a part of NASA, but I felt like I had been on another planet.

Archived