SASS Wire Forum

Value of an "Old" Model Ruger Single-Six .22LR/.22Magnum revolver?

All,

This question really doesn't have anything to do with SASS per se, but I know that the membership is very knowledgeable group and thought I might pick your brains!

A friend of mine has a Ruger Single-Six Old Model he would like to sell and I know little to nothing about them so I would like the members thought's on what the estimated value is! I have pictures if anybody cares to see the actual gun.....Appreciate any help you guys might be able to provide.

Regards, John.

Captain,it all depends on condition,what year it was made,barrel length,grips,original or converted,box and papers with it and if it is a prefix serial # They will run from $150 to $500 depending on the above variables.Hope this helps

If it is a three screw model without the transfer bar and it has not been modified by the factory to add the transfer bar, it should be worth close to the high end of the range identified, assuming it is in good condition. I have one smoothed up by Wes Flowers and I would not sell it for $500, but that is just me as I sort of collect Rugers.

Howdy,

If you are checking the blue book of gun values please read the beginning of the

Sturm Ruger chapter. They clearly state the values INCLUDE guns having box etc.

There is a healthy deduction for the box being missing.

Ruger made a number of slightly different features over the years and some

are pretty rare and in demand by collectors. Finding said collector is your problem.

In some cases just a quarter of an inch barrel length can make a LOT of difference.

This is a good time to sell as Ruger has had a hard time keeping up with demand.

See Ruger website for current msrp.

Best

CR

All,

Thanks for all the input!

I do know that there is no box or papers, that as far as I can tell from the pics it has not been converted with the transfer bar safety, it does have the magnum cylinder, and the bbl. length looks to be about 7 1/2 or something close to this length! Finish is very nice with the exception of the end of bbl. and end of ejector housing where finish has rubbed off of both!

I would like to help him get this sold ASAP so do you fellows think somewhere in the $275-300 range would be appropriate?

Regards, John.

All,

Thanks for all the input!

I do know that there is no box or papers, that as far as I can tell from the pics it has not been converted with the transfer bar safety, it does have the magnum cylinder, and the bbl. length looks to be about 7 1/2 or something close to this length! Finish is very nice with the exception of the end of bbl. and end of ejector housing where finish has rubbed off of both!

I would like to help him get this sold ASAP so do you fellows think somewhere in the $275-300 range would be appropriate?

Regards, John.

Capt John

I think that if you put a starting price of $250 on the gun and put it on Gunbroker.com with a good description and great pictures you would probably get in the $350 - 400 range.

If you sell on GB make sure you state a fixed price for shipping. Lots of folks (myself included) will RUN from an auction that says "buyer pays for actual shipping".

Also I do not even look at guns with reserves.

Your mileage may vary.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Waimea,

Thanks for the reply.....I'm thinking I'll put it up on the SASS Classified's first and see if there is any interest, I'll just need to download the pics to my PhotoBucket account before I actually get the ad set up. I know how important good photos are!!!

Regards, John.

I bought a Single Six 3-screw last year to match one I already had. It had a 6 1/2" barrel and was in good working condition but showed moderate wear. No box or papers. I ended up paying about $350 for it, but there was no shipping or FFL transfer fees involved.

I buy-n-sell a fair amount of guns. What I am seeing these days is that pre-lock S&W revolvers and any good quality tactical guns are bringing premium prices. Everything else is getting less than book value. People are spending their money on tactical and carry guns and ammo.

My recommendation is to hold onto it until this old-dog economy turns around and people have money to spend again. It could mean a difference of $200-300 for a gun outside of the high-demand class right now.

If it were me I would ask at rugerforum.com what they should sell for. You could sell it there in the classified section of that board also. Many Ruger single action collectors hang out on that forum, probably more there then any ten other Ruger collector forums.

Ketchum

Archived