SASS Wire Forum

USS Fort Worth

Oklahoma Dee

Since when did they put guns, torpedo launchers and missles on garbage scows that can do 45 knots. :):mellow:

Garbage scow, not hardly. :angry:

It also carries two helicopters.

Granted a garbage scow could haul the junk of helicopters..... :lol:

Freedom class, littoral combat ship.

Learned something new today.

First to be named for Ft. Worth,

JM

All I know about the littoral combat ship is what I watch on TV so I question the real practicality of the flexible mission module space. However I think the Navy is finally facing the reality that most future naval actions will be close to shore.

If the Navy had saved the IOWA class battleship and would build smaller aircraft carriers now that would be a tough force that could easily defeat any naval threats.

Calling anything named after Texas a "garbage scow" is grounds for a Number #6

If the Navy had saved the IOWA class battleship and would build smaller aircraft carriers now that would be a tough force that could easily defeat any naval threats.

All the IOWA battleships still exist and are either memorials or museum ships. Aside from the IOWA, WISONSIN, NEW JERSEY and MISSOURI there are also battleships from other eras including the TEXAS, North Carolina, Alabama and Massachusetts.

All were commisioned 1941 or later except for Texas which was commisioned in 1914. All had 9 16 inch guns but Texas had 10 14 inch main guns.

As for the USN building smaller aircraft carriers, well a while back 1970s they did a series of experiments to see if a SCS (Sea Control Ship) which is a smaller carrier would work. The report IIRC implied that the SCS could barely defend itself and its task force let alone project power. They did state that it could do the ASW job it was tested for.

Huh? Did I wander back into the Saloon by mistake??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Archived