SASS Wire Forum

Rule putting rifle than picking up again

Prescott Palmer

After shooting 5 shots for any number of reasons you need to put the rifle down, last cartridge ejected, lever down.

Can you pick the rifle back up and start shooting again?

After shooting 5 shots for any number of reasons you need to put the rifle down, last cartridge ejected, lever down.

You will find the answer to this on page 17 of the RO I manual. The Shooters handbook covers part of this, but the RO I manual is much clearer. There are only two safe conditions for the rifle if it is to safely leave your hands.

Rifle

Safe to leave the shooters hands.

• Empty, action open

• Hammer fully down on an empty chamber or spent round, action closed (restaged for further use)

If you must put a rifle down after shooting only part of the rounds and you wish to finish with it later, then the second of the two "safe conditions" is the only one which you can use while leaving rounds in the magazine for later use. Putting a long gun down when it is not in a safe condition, and then firing a shot from the next firearm, earns you a Minor Safety violation for "Empty or live round left in a long gun after the next gun is fired." Since the shooter has until the first round is fired from the next gun to correct a problem with a long gun that has been re-staged, in theory one could leave the rifle in the condition you wanted to in your post, place gun safely on a table or prop, pull up your pants, grab a hankie and blow your snoz, and then pick up your rifle and continue firing.

But in seven years, I've never seen anyone want to put down a rifle part way through a rifle string. Can you explain why you ask?

Good luck, GJ

• Rifle

Safe to leave the shooters hands.

• Empty, action open

Hammer fully down on an empty chamber or spent round, action closed (restaged for further use)

RO1 p.17

Thank you all for your knowledge it help a lot and gave me the answer to my question.

You will find the answer to this on page 17 of the RO I manual. The Shooters handbook covers part of this, but the RO I manual is much clearer. There are only two safe conditions for the rifle if it is to safely leave your hands.

If you must put a rifle down after shooting only part of the rounds and you wish to finish with it later, then the second of the two "safe conditions" is the only one which you can use while leaving rounds in the magazine for later use. Putting a long gun down when it is not in a safe condition, and then firing a shot from the next firearm, earns you a Minor Safety violation for "Empty or live round left in a long gun after the next gun is fired." Since the shooter has until the first round is fired from the next gun to correct a problem with a long gun that has been re-staged, in theory one could leave the rifle in the condition you wanted to in your post, place gun safely on a table or prop, pull up your pants, grab a hankie and blow your snoz, and then pick up your rifle and continue firing.

But in seven years, I've never seen anyone want to put down a rifle part way through a rifle string. Can you explain why you ask?

Good luck, GJ

We do it all the time, well not all the time, but we do it. Position 1 fire five rounds with your rifle then leave it, position 2 fire five round from your pistol(s), position 3 fire four rounds from your shotgun, position 2 fire five rounds from your pistol, position 1 fire five rounds from your rifle. any order but may not be shot back to back, rifle may not be last, may be shot 1 to 3 or 3 to 1. Next shooter please.

We do it all the time, well not all the time, but we do it. Position 1 fire five rounds with your rifle then leave it, position 2 fire five round from your pistol(s), position 3 fire four rounds from your shotgun, position 2 fire five rounds from your pistol, position 1 fire five rounds from your rifle. any order but may not be shot back to back, rifle may not be last, may be shot 1 to 3 or 3 to 1. Next shooter please.

That sounds like fun it's inviting a Procedural, if the rifle is cocked for the sixth round befrore you put it down the first time you must fire it.

Instant P...

Personally I'd prefer to only load five at the loading table, then reload five on the line. Now that's fun!!!

Wily

That sounds like fun it's inviting a Procedural, if the rifle is cocked for the sixth round befrore you put it down the first time you must fire it.

Instant P...

Personally I'd prefer to only load five at the loading table, then reload five on the line. Now that's fun!!!

Wily

No Wily, the rifle may be opened, the action cleared, then closed and hammer down on an empty chamber. Of course for some shooters, taking the P might be less time....... :blink:

Instant P...

Wily

Not if you're a Henry shooter. ;)

No Wily, the rifle may be opened, the action cleared, then closed and hammer down on an empty chamber. Of course for some shooters, taking the P might be less time....... :blink:

Quickly clearing the action on a '73? Pray tell us your technique, DD!

Good luck, GJ

I have never seen this type of stage?? Do you folks ever shoot revolvers this way. Shoot 2...reholster on an empty round with hammer down and return some where in the stage and shoot the last 3 rounds?

Ringer

I have never seen this type of stage?? Do you folks ever shoot revolvers this way. Shoot 2...reholster on an empty round with hammer down and return some where in the stage and shoot the last 3 rounds?

Ringer

Many moons ago (back when only one revolver was used for CAS) we used to do that once in a while.

It didn't take long to figure out that splitting shooting strings with the same firearm has high potential for being a "P" trap.

IIRC, we once shot a "trail walk" (aka jungle run) stage with multiple firing points for the rifle.

Movement was ONLY allowed with the hammer down on the last fired round...penalty was a SDQ even for moving with the lever open (MD's decision)

Needless to say, after half the shooters (including two WB members) DQ'd on that stage, it was thrown out of the match

...right after I ran the fastest time on it. :rolleyes:

The provision that allows staging a rifle with the hammer down on empty/fired chamber "for later use" is primarily for those instances when the shooter has levered a round in at the wrong time/location and must use another firearm before moving to the proper place to engage the rifle targets.

Shooter fires the chambered round (earning a "P").

It was added as an option to avoid a MSV for 'restaging' with the action closed & rounds remaining while another gun is used on the stage.

(instead of doing so with the action open/round on carrier...which WOULD be a MSV.

In this case you would have to empty five rounds before the gun is empty or safe.

Obviously this thread isn't suggesting the proper way to accomplish re-staging the rifle for further use. All the talk is of clearing the action and placing the hammer down. Not the proper procedure.

The best, fastest, and most proper way is to simply leave the hammer down on the last cartridge fired, if restaging for later use. Then upon resuming fire with that rifle, simply jack out the empty, chamber a live shell and continue.

Simple, and no loss of time is involved. No safety violation, no problems.

RBK

Obviously this thread isn't suggesting the proper way to accomplish re-staging the rifle for further use. All the talk is of clearing the action and placing the hammer down. Not the proper procedure.

??? See #3 and #4 ???

GJ

Archived