SASS Wire Forum

Surgery Was A Success

Ricochet Roy, SASS #71853

Howdy Pards,

I just thought I'd share with y'all that my recent back surgery at the VAMC in Loma Linda, CA was a success. Living with horrible lower back pain which I have had for over 30 years, the sciatic nerve pain down both legs, my left leg and right foot going numb several times a day, is gone. I do have a slight amount of residual numbness which I can live with. On August 13 I had a lumbar laminectomy on my L4 & L5 and some other stuff done causing stenosis (choking). Heres the kicker, during my surgery my surgeon discovered a calcified cyst pressing directly on my spinal column estimated to be 45 years old, which was thought to be a buldging disc. I spent 6 days in the hospital, I came home to my very caring and loving wife, and 3 days later I was off of all pin meds. Isn't it great what a loving wife can do! :) I am very greatful to the VA and my surgeon, but of course I give all credit and praise to our Savior Jesus in Heaven. I do have a long road ahead of me to fully recover to the best I will ever be, it will be several months before I will be able to shoot a match. I cannot bend or twist, strict lifting limitations, and walking is the best theropy for me at this time.

In a year or so when I am up to it I will need a second surgery on my C3, 4, 5, & 6 as well.

You know, the medical side of the VA gets a bad rap some times, and I guess rightfully so, but in my case with this surgery, I have no complaints.

Ricochet Roy

Howdy,

I too have known the joys of spine surgery.

So far the shotgun is just beyond my limits.

Some pards give me a real hard time about it but

after my stay in hospitals, I enjoy just gettin outta bed and makin coffee

so much each morning.

Once ya been down to rock bottom everything is up.

Even going to the post office and standing in line forever beats

layin in a hospital bed drugged up waiting for wheel of fortune to come on.

Best

CR

Howdy CR,

How long ago did you have your surgery? What might I expect in the months to come.

Yes, I can relate to making the coffee in the morning.

Roy

Archived