SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun Belts

Hangry Bob

I have been searching for a cheap canvas shotgun belt and I just can not seem to find one! I dont need anything fancy, in fact, I absolutely hate the look of a shotgun belt. I wear a slide, but you know how those evil stage writers like to throw in more shot shells than I carry ha! So i thought a cheap canvas belt I can keep in my cart would seem to be the ticket.. Do cheap ones exist!?

I have been searching for a cheap canvas shotgun belt and I just can not seem to find one! I dont need anything fancy, in fact, I absolutely hate the look of a shotgun belt. I wear a slide, but you know how those evil stage writers like to throw in more shot shells than I carry ha! So i thought a cheap canvas belt I can keep in my cart would seem to be the ticket.. Do cheap ones exist!?

You might try asking for an inexpensive belt instead of a Cheap belt. Post an ad on the SASS wire Classifieds asking for a belt.

Jake

You might try asking for an inexpensive belt instead of a Cheap belt. Post an ad on the SASS wire Classifieds asking for a belt.

Jake

Early on when I was gearing up for SASS, I was offered exactly what you're looking for from a gent who went to a leather belt and didn't need the canvas one any more. Great suggestion from Jake. Smithy.

Cabelas has a good one.

I'm going to stick with my guns and use the word "cheap". I have no problem using universally understood slang and was under the impression that the rest of the nation followed suit. While i am at it, I think I will use "ain't" since it is in the dictionary now. I ain't looking for a piece of trash if that is what you were implying sir. I am simply looking for a business or person to loan my hard earned dollars to. I DO have the common sense to post in the classified section if this was my original intention. I have other things to order and thought that i might combine shipping if the price was right at the same place of business.

I'm going to stick with my guns and use the word "cheap". I have no problem using universally understood slang and was under the impression that the rest of the nation followed suit. While i am at it, I think I will use "ain't" since it is in the dictionary now. I ain't looking for a piece of trash if that is what you were implying sir. I am simply looking for a business or person to loan my hard earned dollars to. I DO have the common sense to post in the classified section if this was my original intention. I have other things to order and thought that i might combine shipping if the price was right at the same place of business.

Answer to your OP question: Yes there are cheap canvas SG belts.

Stop reading below this line.

Making one is cheaper than buying one.

A pouch with a flap is cheap and would suit your needs too.

Putting extra SG hulls in a vest pocket or pants pocket will work too.

Someones trash is someones silk purse.

Back to your question about canvas belt. Just buy the first one you come by. It will be cheap in comparison.

You have stages that require more than four SG shells? Put on another SG slide then. That would boost your count up to eight. I have seen numerous folks with two slides on their gun belt.

Are there cheap canvas belts? Yes, Bill Gates thinks they are all cheap. :lol:

Howdy!

I don't know what you consider a 'cheap' price, but I just got done looking for a new canvas shotgun belt and went with this one from Buffalo Arms, made by Wolf Ears:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=164684&CAT=3876

They had it in stock, ready to ship, in my size. I have experience with Wolf Ears' gear, as he made my very first canvas shotgun belt over 15 years ago; still have it and it's excellent quality, so I had no qualms about getting this one. So far, it seems to be well made, and looks good (unlike some of the 'firehose' canvas ones).

Hey thanks guys.. Big Jake I feel the need to apologize. I believe I stretched your meaning too far at a very early hour. I tend to over think things when i feel there is a condescending tone. Blastmaster, two slides is a good idea, but I have limited real estate to work with. I am a rather slim fellow. We had a shotgun only stage a few months ago. 14 targets I believe with 2 clays. I had to stage my shells on the table.. not so great for fast grabbing. Chisler, thank you for reminding me about cabelas. I forgot I have one in my backyard.

Hey thanks guys.. Big Jake I feel the need to apologize. I believe I stretched your meaning too far at a very early hour.

Thanks, it's OK. When I hear "Cheap" I think Shoddy, because there used to be cheap stuff for sale and when bought and used, it fell apart quickly. When I see a post like yours, I look at the SASS # and think "NEW GUY". It does not tell me your age, experience, income, just looking to get started. Lots of Pards on this wire will give or loan you the needed item until you get your own. Just don't be in a hurry and buy something that will get replaced because of quality issues. And don't buy a Henry Big Boy. :lol: Just sayin'

Big Jake

Hey thanks guys.. Big Jake I feel the need to apologize. I believe I stretched your meaning too far at a very early hour. I tend to over think things when i feel there is a condescending tone. Blastmaster, two slides is a good idea, but I have limited real estate to work with. I am a rather slim fellow. We had a shotgun only stage a few months ago. 14 targets I believe with 2 clays. I had to stage my shells on the table.. not so great for fast grabbing. Chisler, thank you for reminding me about cabelas. I forgot I have one in my backyard.

Hey sharpshooter_boss, I was the guy that mentioned when I started a pard gave me a canvas shotshell belt because he was upgrading to LEATHER. Now there is a reason for this. I found out that reason soon after my first shoot. It was a bit of a pain in the rear to retrieve said shotshells from that belt. I tried to run the shells out a little further, but I realized that the shotshells were the only thing giving support to the belt itself. It would roll on me and if the stage required me to hustle from one point to the other, I quite often found that my belt had rolled and inverted to where the belt was essentially upside down.

So in short order I called up the folks that made my pistol rig (Kirkpatric Leather http://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/) to see what they had. I forgot what it was called, but the belt was made of stiff 8-9 oz. leather and was made to wear backwards (no buckle to get in the way). It held 20 shotgun shells directly in the front and a bonus was the fact that on either side I had 5 bullet loops for ten of my 45LC's. As yet I had nowhere to place a tenth shell when the stage instructions called for 9 in the gun and a mid stage reload. My shotgun times were cut in half (they still used an hour glass but it was shorter). As Jake said, "Don't waste money on something that you'll end up getting rid of shortly". The belt just cost me a little over 100 bucks and was well worth it. Smithy.

Canvass is good, I have used a couple through the years but I do not particularly like the ones shown here so far. I do not have a link to show but the ones I had in the past were not of the Ranger style but rather were a prairie style (tapered). A leather billet and chape were actually sewn on the canvas ends. One had leather shell loops and one had canvas, which I preferred because they can be pinched and sewn easily at the bottom if deep enuff. These worked well and looked good when worn buckle to rear and in skip-a-loop fashion for doubles. For some this is an extremely different fit than ones gun belt measurement so measure with care as a soft belly doesnt feel as good with a really tight belt.

Smithy thanks for pointing that out. I had not thought of that. As for being new, I am no novice to shooting and shooting fast, Well, not slow anyway. i don't think i will be winning any awards soon. I pick all my gear with an intent and purpose. I actually have been hunting with my cowboy guns for a few years. It's what drew me to the sport really.

Hey Pards check out stiches.therowdywranglers.com for Wayne Yarbrough stuff. Canvas S/G belt for $65.00.

He has quite a bit of stuff. 1-559-528-3497 / 3297

JRJ

Well, watch the swap and sell tables at matches you go to. I found a canvas shotgun belt that was cheap by every meaning of the word. It didn't fit me, but I was looking for loaner gear anyway. The leather had seen better days, and I had serious reservations of how long it would last, but when the guy told me one dollar, I bought it. Now it rides in my box of loaner gear and gets loaned out fairly often.

I started out with a Cabelas canvas shotgun belt. It worked OK, but started to fall apart after half a season. Now I have

a really cheap belt that is exactly what I wanted. I made it myself using canvas from the fabric store and leather from

the Cabelas belt. I made the pockets loose enough the shells come out without tugging and deep ehough the shells

are not all over the ground as I move. Little tucks at the bottom of the pocket keep the shells from falling through. When

you get the canvas, ask the lady at the store for a needle that will hold up under the heavy cloth (Don't ask me how I know.)

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/wildemuthstevenl/Cowboy%20Stuff/IMG_4457.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/wildemuthstevenl/Cowboy%20Stuff/IMG_4456.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/wildemuthstevenl/Cowboy%20Stuff/IMG_4455.jpg

YMMV

Chancy

I started out with a Cabelas canvas shotgun belt. It worked OK, but started to fall apart after half a season. Now I have

a really cheap belt that is exactly what I wanted. I made it myself using canvas from the fabric store and leather from

the Cabelas belt. I made the pockets loose enough the shells come out without tugging and deep ehough the shells

are not all over the ground as I move. Little tucks at the bottom of the pocket keep the shells from falling through. When

you get the canvas, ask the lady at the store for a needle that will hold up under the heavy cloth (Don't ask me how I know.)

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/wildemuthstevenl/Cowboy%20Stuff/IMG_4457.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/wildemuthstevenl/Cowboy%20Stuff/IMG_4456.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/wildemuthstevenl/Cowboy%20Stuff/IMG_4455.jpg

YMMV

Chancy

Clancy, I'm impressed. Nicely done. It looks very functional. Tons of people are losing time and actually adding to the frustration level by not thinking more about how they get to their shotgun shells. Nice Job.

Archived