SASS Wire Forum

Rifle lever wraps.

Ketchum Quick, SASS #72923

I received a call from another shooter about lever wraps the other day. I was asked to look at a couple shooters levers as they look like they have a big polish sausage attached to the rifle at the lever. I told the caller that I would check it out.

The rule in the shooter handbook says "filler "blocks" or other such mechinisims designed to prevent all or drastically limit movement of the fingers within the lever loop are not allowed"

The question that I have is how do you measure this? If the material reduces the space with in the lever loop by 1/4, 1/3 or 1/2 what would be too much?

I would imagine if the shooter has sausage fingers that would have to be taken into account.

What do you guys think?

Ketchum Quick

When the call is subjective, what do you think? I am yet to see anyone try and interpret this, how can it be interpreted when some actually do not allow me to even get my fattys in there. Truth is that now that old age joint problems have visited themselves on me, anything that cushions and/or buffers the fangers is goood. What makes a real problem is the fact that if you pass something with the '73 in mind and then along comes a pard with an 87! I really think the powers that be just want us to not get to silly with what we want to play with and hope that common sense will prevail, with just the hint of a rule. Lever wraps is the one place that short fat fangers is a bonus!

Howdy,

I have lever wraps made by world famous leather genius Eightbits.

They are made from two layers of leather sewin together.

It seems to me that adding more layers or extra padding is

no longer a wrap.

Do we really need a rule for everything?

Best

CR

Best

CR

Good point! On the other hand, if you are the guy who looses to the shooter with questionable equipment how do you want it addressed?

I ask because it was brought to my attention and I didn't have a good answer.

KQ

Best

CR

+1

I see no reason for a rule to specify the lever opening width. If you narrow the gap too much, it will be slower getting your fingers into and out of the lever. Seems like a trade-off based on personal preference.

Related THREAD.

The amount of restriction is entirely dependent on the size of the SHOOTER's hand/fingers & the degree of 'insertion' into the lever loop...a very subjective call which requires direct observation of the shooter's interaction with the rifle.

I've questioned a few pad jobs that looked like extreme overkill on the amount of space left inside the loop.

One shooter had very small fingers and there remained significant movement within the loop during use...

the other had to forcibly cram his finger tips into the loop to get it into operational mode.

The first one was "no called".

The second one was told to immediately redo the wrap or face a SDQ for use of illegal equipment.

(he said it was allowed at his home club...I informed him that it was NOT allowed at Winter Range)

I received a call from another shooter about lever wraps the other day. I was asked to look at a couple shooters levers as they look like they have a big polish sausage attached to the rifle at the lever. I told the caller that I would check it out.

The rule in the shooter handbook says "filler "blocks" or other such mechinisims designed to prevent all or drastically limit movement of the fingers within the lever loop are not allowed"

The question that I have is how do you measure this? If the material reduces the space with in the lever loop by 1/4, 1/3 or 1/2 what would be too much?

I would imagine if the shooter has sausage fingers that would have to be taken into account.

What do you guys think?

Ketchum Quick

Having discussed this in the past and even providing pictures of questionable "fillers/wraps" I think the real idea is to not have lever openings with holes for fingers or finger grooves........kinda like a target grip on a pistol......

you have two key words ......ALL and DRASTICALLY.......ALL is pretty easy to understand........drastically would seem to be just slightly less than ALL.........almost indistinguishable from ALL.......

Stan

OK … so wraps don’t “have to be” leather …

Those nice brown/round braided shoe strings work pretty good too (flat ones or leather lacing as well).

Add as many layers as you want … loop it under and put a touch of epoxy at the end (just on the string) to keep it from unraveling (no damage the lever … easily adjusted or removed).

But … The same issues apply …

I used to build it up a “LOT” in the rear to limit hand movement and prevent me from tripping the trigger before the bolt was completely closed. Now I keep my trigger finger outside … at the front of the trigger guard … letting it slip off as the lever closes … and … have no more premature trigger operation (now have a hair trigger spring in there too … guess I should have watched the video and been doing that that all along … sigh …).

http://www.users.qwest.net/~tcamp30/leverwrap.jpg

IF “I” were the lever wrap police and saw “MY” lever I would flip out … but I also only put two fingers in the lever now and there is plenty of free movement (and there is still movement with even three fingers in there … but not much) … sooooooooo …

It seems like it would be tough for anyone to try to enforce the rule (fairly) the way it is written (of course there will always be someone crying for enforcement).

We are probably going to end up with a “checklist” … have too many items on the list and you are banned … lets see … (“x” number and your out) …

- Shoes that raise eyebrows …

- Homemade lever wraps … or any that causes at least “one” person to point and complain (like they did on the body snatchers if you hadn’t been converted yet) …

- Pocket knife in a belt holder …

- Extremely effective shotgun hits on more than one stage (leading at least more that “one” person to think you are hitting them a little too well).

- Bullets that are too small … or too large …

- Using a Rossi 92 and being in the top 50% of the field …

Anyhow … this list goes can go on and on … I am sure everyone could add one or two to it … <_<

IMHO as always …

Pete

- Shoes that raise eyebrows …

-Anyhow … this list goes can go on and on … I am sure everyone could add one or two to it … <_<

Like those bright yellow shoes/boots/clodhoppers/whatever the 100 meter runners at the London Olympics were wearing? I am sure they had a piece of leather on them somewhere. LOL.. :lol:

IMHO as always …

Pete

Tell him to quit worrying bout other people and shoot his own damn match, good lord the petty crap these whiney cowboys complain about is pathetic! if a major alteration issue or a "cheat" or something legit, bring it to someone, but wrapping on the level to big? Give him some cheese to go with the wine. that aint the cowboy way..shut up and shoot!

Orney Oaf(who dont even wrap his lever and dont give a rats fuzzy arse who does)

Tell him to quit worrying bout other people and shoot his own damn match, good lord the petty crap these whiney cowboys complain about is pathetic! if a major alteration issue or a "cheat" or something legit, bring it to someone, but wrapping on the level to big? Give him some cheese to go with the wine. that aint the cowboy way..shut up and shoot!

Orney Oaf(who dont even wrap his lever and dont give a rats fuzzy arse who does)

Thanks for the informative post! Your allias seems to fit you to a "T". :D

KQ

+1 :D

Heeee Haaaa Ketchup..This post has got people thinking... :blush:

Heeee Haaaa crazy mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

Archived