SASS Wire Forum

Stiff Cowboy Hats?

Zachariah Smith 70528

I like the looks of cowboy hats but don’t like the feeling of wearing a bump hat or hard hat. Do the stiff hats loosen up over time? I only wear crushable or palm straw hats now.

I use electronic hearing muffs with over the top of head harness. Behind the neck style harness does not work for me.

A properly fitted hat can be stiff and still be comfortable. But in my experience mine haven't loosened up, the one I wear the most is about 27 years old. If you purchase an over the shelf hat, get it fitted. It makes a big difference. I don't know if that helps or not, but just my experience.

I like the looks of cowboy hats but don’t like the feeling of wearing a bump hat or hard hat. Do the stiff hats loosen up over time? I only wear crushable or palm straw hats now.

I use electronic hearing muffs with over the top of head harness. Behind the neck style harness does not work for me.

Only Classic Cowboy and B-Western require any kind of hat. Rest of the categories have no requirements.

Hey I know you:-) how ya doing Zack?

Lead Ringer

Depends on the hat. As a generality, modern western hats are made of thicker felt and have a stiffener applied to help hold the crease. In the old days, hats were made with thinner high quality fur felt, were sold "open crowned," and the buyer applied his own "bash" to the hat. A good quality fur felt (rabbit and/or beaver) will have thinner/lighter weight felt, and may soften up some, but I doubt you will ever get one that will allow you to wear hearing muffs over it! For that, the crushable may be your best bet.

Unless you are shooting BW or CC, you could wear a cap appropriate to the period; a kepi or a newsboy style, for example. You could also pick up an old wide brim fedora (soft hat) and reshape it as a western . :)

Pretty much what others have said. The higher quality beaver felt, the softer the hat to begin with. I abuse my hats...I mean, really abuse them. I wear them when I'm up in the mountains with the pack string, on roundups....in pelting rain, snow, hail, and blazing sun. It seems to me they soften up a little over the years after the rain and stuff has had the chance to the dilute the last or "stiffener" a bit. Of course, that could just be my observation. I don't believe even a good quality beaver hat, though, will be has soft as you want it. Good luck in your quest.

Most likely, the "stiffness" you are feeling is a lacquer that hatters put into their hats to make the crown and brim keep their shape. You can get rid of some of the lacquer (make the hat softer) by soaking the hat with water, you will need to wear it till it's dry to make sure it doesn't shrink up smaller than your head, or by "burning" it out by keeping the hat out in the hot sun (I don't recommend this method as it takes a long time, as in a couple of months, and will surely shrink down the hat).

But the bottom line is that if you have to wear over the head earmuffs, you will never get them to fit over a proper cowboy hat.

bystander

A good quality hat will just never be as soft as a crusher.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Ya ever wonder why yore hat remains stiff... and certain anatomical appendages remain limp?

Oh crap... the irony of life.

ts

Ya ever wonder why yore hat remains stiff... and certain anatomical appendages remain limp?

Oh crap... the irony of life.

ts

Stud... Does this mean you'll be changin' yer alias? ;)

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Stud... Does this mean you'll be changin' yer alias? ;)

Tennessee Dud.

ts

Archived