SASS Wire Forum

ALL YOU WHEAT RANCHERS AND FARMERS

My experience working on a farm is limited to say the least. That said, I am always willing to learn, as long as the knowledge does not conflict with my preconceived notions of the matter. That can cause my learning curve to go waaaaay down.

But I digress. This morning I was reading an article on harvesting wheat. I have zip knowledge about harvesting wheat except that is where we get straw and the old time farmers used a sythe to cut the wheat and then bind it into shucks.

Anyway, I read that wheat grows best when the rows are planted EAST TO WEST, and not so well north to south.

Now why is that, do you suppose? Something to do with the sun's rays?

Now don't get excited and worried that I might take up wheat farming. That ain't gonna happen.

Had to think a minute, but all my crops were planted North and South, even the winter wheat. It's the contour that dedermines, also lenght vs width with least amount of turning. With some of the big machines, you want to turn as little as possible and also allows more crops to be planted. Though, I do go back and plant were I made the curves or turns, which would be east and west. MT

So light direction has little or no bearing on the issue?

Not a lot of wheat fields in Southern Illinois. Lottsa corn fields, but not much wheat. Washington has lots of wheat but it is in the central or eastern part of the state. Badger is a city boy so that helps too. :rolleyes:

In my area, Kankakee county, McClean, couple others, we do grow a lot of winter wheat. It acts as a ground cover after corn is grown, and returns nutrients, legumes, back into the soil after corn. Corn takes a lot of nutrients out of the ground. Thats why corn odd years, and soybeans I plant the even year. Winter wheat is a good paying crop, with little maintenance except for when its ready to be harvested. Crop can be ruined by rain when its ready, very small window. Thats why most farmers will work together helping each other into the night, straight through. MT

Dang, talking as if I still farm, rather I lease my land now. There's nothing more pleasurable then farming when everything goes right, seed cost, planting and harvesting windowa, price for crops are sky high, and storage available, fuel is low, and all equipment is operable and paid for. Usually 1 or more of these are not inplace.

My grandfather farmed the bottom land along the Mississippi in Jackson and Randolph counties. Rich soil, that.

He also farmed up on the bluff just below Rockwood and that was pretty much hardscrabble. Not much grew up there except timber rattlers and hogs. Most if that was for stock fodder and table. His cash crops came off the bottom lands.

I'm good at growing weeds on my half acre.

We have a good sized garden plot that we plant some years, it's good at growing rocks. You til the soil, pick out all the rocks, and the next year there are more rocks.

I have a few breeders too, Grizz. However mine are direct descendents from the glacers in the last ice age.

I am going out now and pick some blueberries and a few plumbs. I was told the tree was an Italian plumb when I bought it, but the fruit is cherry red and not italian.

Badger, it don't matter what direction you are planting it, it's which direction the seed is turned when you put it in the ground. And iffn' ya got several hundred acres to plant, it's a real pain ta hafta stop ever so often and make sure the seeds are turned the right way in the ground, not ta mention havin' ta uncover some and turn 'em..... :lol:

Badger, just tank of da poor tater.

Dey git der eyes cut and din dey git'em wrapped in tissue paper.

Why tissue paper you may ask ?

Da answer is as plain as dat nose on yur face.

Da framer wraps dim eyes so da tater can......................

SEE HOW TO GROW !!!

Lowdy, I'm good ! lol

Badger, it don't matter what direction you are planting it, it's which direction the seed is turned when you put it in the ground. And iffn' ya got several hundred acres to plant, it's a real pain ta hafta stop ever so often and make sure the seeds are turned the right way in the ground, not ta mention havin' ta uncover some and turn 'em..... :lol:

How do I know which way is correct? Man, that is a lot of seeds to check. :blink:

How do I know which way is correct? Man, that is a lot of seeds to check. :blink:

Dats easy Badger......Just ask da tater eyes !

Dey can see whicha way dem seeds are !

Okay, okay...now that we've had our fun at poor ol' Badger's expense, maybe we should just answer the man's question.

Seriously, Badger, there are a couple schools of thought on that, and both have "scientific research" to back it up. One school of thought says if you plant wheat east-to-west, there is a tendency for the crop to produce bigger heads. The stalks won't necessarily be taller, but the heads supposedly will be larger.

The other school of thought (again backed up with research) claims you should plant wheat north-to-south in order to facilitate weed management, based on the assumption that north-to-south wheat shades the ground a little better and minimizes the amount of weeds that will grow...thereby producing a better crop of wheat. Not necessarily bigger heads, but an all-around better crop.

There you go. Bottom line...flip a coin and take your pick. :lol:

The pointyest end of the seed is like a compass needle. THAT end has to point east. Then ya gotta make sure they is all turned that way when ya fill up the planter. Farmin' is a lot tougher than folks realize..... :rolleyes:

The pointyest end of the seed is like a compass needle. THAT end has to point east. Then ya gotta make sure they is all turned that way when ya fill up the planter. Farmin' is a lot tougher than folks realize..... :rolleyes:

Ever wonder how a seed knows which direction is up? Its called "gravitropism". Plant cells have starch granules which falls down, this in turn orients and makes a plant grow upward. Betcha wondered, or never thought about it when seeing a corn field, wheat, soybean, or your garden, flowers, etc. growing in a field and wonder how a seed knows? :) :) MT

Sounds like a flatlander thing. It was pretty mountainous where I grew up. If anyone ever found a flat patch someone would build a church, gas station, or a football or baseball field on it. We always planted so the rows went AROUND the hill, not up and down. Saved wear and tear on the equipment, the animals, and the farmer, and kept the water from running downhill eroding the land and washing away the seed. We didn't pay any attention to compass directions.

Also tried to arrange it so you'd start and finish closest to the house.

They must turn the shocks into a circle and it settles them right down. That said, I do not know if they turn them to the right or to the left, but none the less, they are turned. If you ever get pummeled with crazed wheat stalks in a thunderstorm, you will know terror.

The title of this post just struck me...

How the heck do you RANCH wheat?

Will a herd of wheat stampede in a thunderstorm?

Hardest part is branding the little suckers. Easiest way to do it is ta hire one of them Chinese fellers that writes on a grain of rice....

The title of this post just struck me...

How the heck do you RANCH wheat?

Will a herd of wheat stampede in a thunderstorm?

How wood ya like to be dat cowboy what has to nighthawk'em and sing to'em !

Archived