SASS Wire Forum

1866 Uberti Yellow Boy

Is there a difference between older Uberti 1866's and newer (not beretta) ones?

I've just gotten a .45 rifle imported by "Mitchell Arms", still in the original box. Some have told me the older guns like this one are somehow different, but so far, no one has been able to explain it to me. It sure looks the same as my brand new one!

Old production, like back in the early 90s (?), used the trigger safety design that is in the current 73s. Two piece trigger, if I recall. Shorter lifter, so the overall length of cartridges had to be about 1.55 inch or so. New 66 reproductions of course don't have the trigger safety.

Can you measure the length of the carrier opening in the bottom of the frame with a digital or vernier caliper? That will tell you the max overall length. I'd be curious what that OAL is in an old .45 Colt '66.

Can be a little bit of a problem getting parts for them, especially ready-to-install speed parts like short stroke kits.

Good luck, GJ

Mike, the early 1966 Uberti's like from Navy arms can't take the short stroke kit. I had this discussion with Joe Alves (Will Shootem) of Pioneer gun works a while back. He can explain it whereas the extent of my understanding is "it doesn't work". :rolleyes:

The carrier measures 1.68" across the top, the same as my new carbine. This gun has no date code, just the serial #'s, no letters. No lever safety

Sounds like a newer 66, then. Carrier opening at the bottom of the frame should not be much longer than 1.600", perhaps a typo?

Lack of the trigger safety and a full-length carrier indicates you have the next-to-the-latest production model, which means parts supply is still good, except for the firing pin extension and bolt, which Uberti no longer makes. To upgrade yours to the latest parts, you would buy the new FPE and bolt and a couple of new parts that go with it, if or when you have to replace a bolt.

There should be a 2 letter date code under the forearm on the barrel - unless Alberto at the Uberti factory skipped work that day and did not stamp it. :lol:

Good luck, GJ

On the "early" Uberti's... Mines imported by Navy Arms...

The length of the carrier is 1.5" and it will only shoot 38 spl it will not handle a longer cartridge

Yes there are minor differences in some of the internal parts....

BUT... They Can be Short Stroked !!!

Mine is and I used Joe Alves Pioneer links (with minor mods), the stock lifter and I modified the lever myself.

I Love the gun and would Not swap it for a Newer Model.

I have an older 66 Navy Arms in 38 Special and it shoots fine......although the rounds have to be sized exact or they stick in the chamber, and it will not feed short bullets.

I have an older 66 Navy Arms in 38 Special and it shoots fine......although the rounds have to be sized exact or they stick in the chamber, and it will not feed short bullets.

They can be helped a little in that area... Mine will actually feed 38 long colts.... Not really smooth, but they will feed.

I worked on an older Navy Arms for a friend to try and get it running for him......there are a LOT of differences. Magazine tubes are different, receiver where tube fits is machined different, spring, follower, bolt, firing pin extention and the hole in the receiver that it goes thru, link pin sizes, lifter, links...... :wacko:

I worked on an older Navy Arms for a friend to try and get it running for him......there are a LOT of differences. Magazine tubes are different, receiver where tube fits is machined different, spring, follower, bolt, firing pin extention and the hole in the receiver that it goes thru, link pin sizes, lifter, links...... :wacko:

Yep, the mag tube and the hole it fits into is completely different and the actual frame is different than the later models...

internally yes there are differences but they're not that much different and many of the parts can be interchanged,

sometimes you do have to make minor mods on replacement parts....

I've short stoked a couple of em and they take a little longer and require more hand fitting than the newer ones...

but the end result is just as good if not better than a brand new model... and usually a Lot Cheaper.

Archived