SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun for little girl

Gunner Gatlin, SASS 10274L

Looking to get Sassy Sunshine (daughter) a shotgun in a month or two - a pard here recommended a Baikal with hammer, but I can;t find any - what is the scoop on the type below. If we decided on a 12ga the stock and barrel would be shortened. The same pard said he can make a perfect downloaded 12ga load that would have much less recoil, but enough umph to take down a knockdown...

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/pardnerYouth.asp

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Tells us more about Sassy Sunshine such as size and age. What shotgun has she handled? How did that work?

The hammered guns can be a little hard to cock, so it is always best to have her try one out. The advantage of a hammered gun is they are very easy to open compared to a hammerless.

The gun you mention is a good one for youth starting out, but you do have to single load it. A few youngsters in this area use one.

Looking to get Sassy Sunshine (daughter) a shotgun in a month or two - a pard here recommended a Baikal with hammer, but I can;t find any - what is the scoop on the type below. If we decided on a 12ga the stock and barrel would be shortened. The same pard said he can make a perfect downloaded 12ga load that would have much less recoil, but enough umph to take down a knockdown...

Hammered Baikal is a standard SxS isn't it?

What categories does your daughter intend to shot?

My linkThe 410 S X S is a little harder to handle than the single barrel hammered 410.The single can have ejectors so getting the shells out is easier.I have the S X S and I am doing a single for him now.The double is about 4 times as high in price and hard to find.I looked at 4 singles yesterday and the highest was $149.00

Thanks pards - the single would be good for SASSY because she is small - here is a video of her firing a 410 - it was her first shotgun, a surprise for her, but she said she liked it when we got home. I was told that a 12ga loaded down would be a good choice.

'This is a Baikal single shot - but it has a synthetic stock :(

http://www.cheaperth...m/59507-55.html

and a Rossi

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2BRZS121280BS-1.html

Gunner:

Keep us posted as you move forward. My 8 year old daughter is making noises about wanting to try shooting with dad. This is something I would love to have happen and want to make sure the first couple of times out are as fun and rewarding as possible.

Irish Rambler

Gunner, I supposed you have already analyzed the great video of your darling daughter shooting.

I noticed that just before she shot the shotgun, she slightly moved it forward, so she would have gotten a lot more felt recoil.

Similarly, have her work with the rifle and cock it on the shoulder as it gives more leverage.

Gunner, I supposed you have already analyzed the great video of your darling daughter shooting.

I noticed that just before she shot the shotgun, she slightly moved it forward, so she would have gotten a lot more felt recoil.

Similarly, have her work with the rifle and cock it on the shoulder as it gives more leverage.

Thanks Maurader - you input is gold :)

Gunner,

The Baikal with hammers is a good thought, but in reality is a poor starting gun for a little girl. Either a 12 or 20 ga. hammerless, (20 preferred) can be loaded down to 3/4 oz. shot loads, (Components are readily available for loading these rounds), and will tame the recoil quite well. There will be NO hammers for her to struggle with, which will be a major factor in her efficiency with a hammered gun.

These are readily available with either Single or Double triggers, so you have a choice there also.

You hear many nay sayers stating the Stoegers with single triggers give problems, which I think are strictly the product of Kitchen Table gunsmithing. Those guns won't double if the hammer springs and sears are left alone. You can lighten the opening lever, slick up the action, correct any engagement problems with the locking lugs, remove the auto safety, (change to Manual Safety), hone and polish the chambers and chamfer the chamber openings, and make the guns as reliable and quick as any other. Just leave the hammer springs and sears alone. Period!!!

I shoot a single trigger Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme 12 ga., with all the above refinements and it is a joy to shoot and is as reliable as any Coach Gun I have ever seen or owned. Been shooting it going on 2 years and hasn't even so much as hiccuped.

Buy one of these, cut the stock to the proper length, (be sure to cut some negative pitch in the stock when shortening it, otherwise the toe of the stock will dig into the tender area of a females chest and is quite uncomfortable, and reinstall the recoil pad, (which will have to be ground down to fit after cutting the stock).

All this can be done at under $400 and will be all the SG she will ever need. When she outgrows the shortened stock, simply have it lengthened with a spacer. Back in Business.

Good luck Pard. RBK

It's a darned shame that gun manufactures are not making the 9mm smooth bores any more. There was a Czechoslovakian or Turkish (?) company that was producing a SXS in 9mm smooth bore a few years back. They said that they couldn't get them into the US at the time and I have lost track of them. Looked well made. Talked to a rep via phone and his English and my Czech didn't translate to well.... :o

Ammo?... I had an English made SXS 30 + yrs ago that was a 9mm brass cased smooth bore center fire. Traded it for something I don't have any more :unsure: I have some paper 9 mm shells I picked up as well, so I know they were produced probably a 'rook' or garden guns.

Any way... they were scaled down for kids and would be great iffin' you could find one and ammo. Cabela's sells a 'toy' SXS that is close to what they looked like... I just might have a old picture of it somewhere. If one of you pards has one, I'd like to see pictures.... :D

Yes Winchester did make a single shot Model 36 (?) I believe..... But how about using a .45 Colt loaded with shot? No recoil to speak of and I bet it would be a hoot out of one of those super light ROSSI Youth Models. B)

You might want to also consider light BP loads for her. It will be more of a "shove" then the "punch" of smokeless.

Invest in a good recoil pad, one option is the slip on recoil pad from Galazan: http://www.csmcspecials.com/Gamekeeper_Slip_On_Recoil_Pad_p/slip.htm

The quality is good and you can move it from gun to gun as she gets older. I have a fairly light 16 gauge (6-7pounds) and with the recoil pad, 1 oz of shot in front of 60grs of 2F, the gun kicks almost like a .22

PM sent .

Gunner,

The Baikal with hammers is a good thought, but in reality is a poor starting gun for a little girl. Either a 12 or 20 ga. hammerless, (20 preferred) can be loaded down to 3/4 oz. shot loads, (Components are readily available for loading these rounds), and will tame the recoil quite well. There will be NO hammers for her to struggle with, which will be a major factor in her efficiency with a hammered gun.

These are readily available with either Single or Double triggers, so you have a choice there also.

You hear many nay sayers stating the Stoegers with single triggers give problems, which I think are strictly the product of Kitchen Table gunsmithing. Those guns won't double if the hammer springs and sears are left alone. You can lighten the opening lever, slick up the action, correct any engagement problems with the locking lugs, remove the auto safety, (change to Manual Safety), hone and polish the chambers and chamfer the chamber openings, and make the guns as reliable and quick as any other. Just leave the hammer springs and sears alone. Period!!!

I shoot a single trigger Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme 12 ga., with all the above refinements and it is a joy to shoot and is as reliable as any Coach Gun I have ever seen or owned. Been shooting it going on 2 years and hasn't even so much as hiccuped.

Buy one of these, cut the stock to the proper length, (be sure to cut some negative pitch in the stock when shortening it, otherwise the toe of the stock will dig into the tender area of a females chest and is quite uncomfortable, and reinstall the recoil pad, (which will have to be ground down to fit after cutting the stock).

All this can be done at under $400 and will be all the SG she will ever need. When she outgrows the shortened stock, simply have it lengthened with a spacer. Back in Business.

Good luck Pard. RBK

You're kidding right? I have only handled four single trigger Stoegers. 3 of the 4 doubled right out of the box, before anything was done to them but the pre-shooting cleaning of the bores. The other had the forearm split in two after about 10 months of shooting. :unsure:

Either, all the less desireable ones made it to one location and yours was the exception or IMO those "naysayers" might have a point.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Personally I would recomend the H&R in 20ga as a good starting gun. You can load a light 3/4oz load that has no more recoil than a 3" .410 load. I used to load them for a cousin a few years back when he was 11-12 and didn't like shooting skeet with regular target loads. They are light but still broke clay targets with no problem.

Keep in mind, those H&R single barrels are a lot lighter than the corresponding sxs. The same loads I happily shoot in large quantities out of my sxs, and various pump guns (cowboy and non-cowboy) thump me pretty hard out of my H&R single barrel. Simple physics, lighter gun = more felt recoil. Since you will be cutting down the stock anyway, you might think about putting a good recoil pad on it. Maybe a mercury type recoil reducer in the stock, too.

If you do get a H&R, take advantage of the barrel program. You can have new barrels fit to that receiver for only $55 each. They have 12ga, 20ga, 28ga, and .410. in a bunch of different lengths and chokes.

Archived