SASS Wire Forum

Photo program

Deja Vous

I have a photo shop program on my system. Dad has a Windows 7 Home premium now and I need to find a very user friendly photo program. His wife lifes to play around a bit with englarging or cropping photos and a bit of touch up with help from all of us. I would prefer to get an easy one to use, and it does not have to do a bunch at a reasonable price. So, what is out there? Thanks for you advice... hugs.. Deja

I have a photo shop program on my system. Dad has a Windows 7 Home premium now and I need to find a very user friendly photo program. His wife lifes to play around a bit with englarging or cropping photos and a bit of touch up with help from all of us. I would prefer to get an easy one to use, and it does not have to do a bunch at a reasonable price. So, what is out there? Thanks for you advice... hugs.. Deja

Photo shop...Not cheap but might find a cut down version...User friendly the last time I was restoring old photos...But that was 3.0 version...I think they are up to 10...Google for some and see what might come up, maybe free down load...

Texas Lizard

Picasa is a free program from Google. I use it, it has all the basic fixes for photos, seems to work well, and it's free.....cheap at twice the price!

Picasa is a free program from Google. I use it, it has all the basic fixes for photos, seems to work well, and it's free.....cheap at twice the price!

If it works for the needs, you can't beat free...

Texas Lizard

But it seems to be for a MAC...Didn't see the other down load, but was not looking either...

All they have is Photo creations which is just a snapshot and buy joint on the internet... no photo stuff... No microsoft office stuff on their puter.

In the banner box it says "download", it has a bunch of on line stuff that I don't use. I also have Photoshop Elements, but it is overly complicated and costs. I looked for a Mac app for a friend awhile ago, didn't find one that beats the Apple app, and she didn't want to get PE because she wasn't that into photos...

All they have is Photo creations which is just a snapshot and buy joint on the internet... no photo stuff... No microsoft office stuff on their puter.

Deja -

If the computer has Windows 7 Home Premium, it has an excellent program already on it.

First, on the start up screen at the bottom Left, click 'start' - then check the right menu for 'pictures' - if its there click on it.

If not, click on the "users name" - this should open a bunch of folders - my music, my documents, my videos, etc. - click on "my pictures'.

This is where your pics will be stored.

Now, back to the desktop.

There should be an icon for Epson Scan, HP Scan, - whatever printer/scanner you have hooked to the system - it should be there. If you do not have a scanner, you are going to need one.

Put the pic on the scanner - double click scanner icon - click on scan - this will put your pic in the aforementioned "my pictures'.

Once pic is in "pictures', double click on it to open - the option to 'crop', 'rotate' and other stuff is on the right side of screen.

Once you've 'cropped' and 'rotated' [that almost sounds obscene], be sure to save changes.

To 'edit' further, Right click on pic - click on 'Edit' - this will give you a bunch more options.

If you want to use the pic as an avatar, while in 'edit' mode, click on resize - click on 'pixels' - take the highest of the 2 numbers showing and change it to 90 - the other number will automatically change - click OK.

Now, click on the blue box in the upper left. Click on 'Save As' - "GIF Picture" - give it a name, and click 'Save'. Instant new avatar.

Hope this helps.

Any questions just holler.

Professor Tull

Here is a link for Picasa PC.....

Picasa

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

Deja,

Try Inkscape:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/inkscape/files/

Click on this link once the page opens:

Download Inkscape-0.48.2-1-win32.exe (35.7 MB)

There are lots of free image editing programs on the Web. Most of them are time crippled or as you download them, they default to loading other programs and apps during the installation, like toolbars, changing your browsers defaults and other PITA junk. Picasa is one of the programs I did not choose for you because of all the other junk that comes with it.

Inkscape doesn't do any of that. The only downside is that it takes a long time to install once you download it.

When you start the download, you will be prompted to "Install" or "Save". Select "Save", then after the download is complete, navigate to where you saved it, ie: C:Downloads/Inkscape, and run the file Inkscape-0.48.2-1-win32.exe

The program looks like MS Paint, but with more bells and whistles.

Miz Vouz

Trust me here.....you know my work...I have been doing photography for almost as long as you have been alive. I took 2 years of photography in college. I have my own darkroom which is now collecting cobwebs due to digital

anyways, I have Photo shop (the full edition,) but it is command heavy. I still like to use PaintShop Pro. I started with it when it didn't even have a version number. I have version 8 on my computer, but I mostly prefer to use 7 on a daily basis...It is easy to use.

Rotate, crop and resize are very basic things to do. When you get into masks, layers, histograms and the such..then you are playing with the big boys...

I am sending you a pm....

curley

Trust me here.....you know my work...I have been doing photography for almost as long as you have been alive. I took 2 years of photography in college. I have my own darkroom which is now collecting cobwebs due to digital

curley

I too have darkroom equipment gathering dust...Kinda miss that part working the dark, even made some pictures too...If you know anyone that can use a Besler CB-7 enlarger with a zone 6 cold light head...Let me know...Did copy and restoration for about 14 years...Did the photo shop retouch also...

Texas Lizard

What Professor Tull said.

If all she's doing is cropping and enlarging, the program already on Windows 7 works just fine.

Mama Taft uses Photoshop elements 9. It take a while to learn but has everything you could ever want. At over a hundred dollars it should be good! I bought it last year for her for Christmas and she loves it!

As others have said thought, if your looking simple look at some of the free sites like Picasa and Picnik. You will at least find a free trail on such.

EE Taft

Oops. Free TRIAL not TRAIL! Dang blackberry!

Hehehe.

Deja -

If the computer has Windows 7 Home Premium, it has an excellent program already on it.

First, on the start up screen at the bottom Left, click 'start' - then check the right menu for 'pictures' - if its there click on it.

If not, click on the "users name" - this should open a bunch of folders - my music, my documents, my videos, etc. - click on "my pictures'.

This is where your pics will be stored.

Now, back to the desktop.

There should be an icon for Epson Scan, HP Scan, - whatever printer/scanner you have hooked to the system - it should be there. If you do not have a scanner, you are going to need one.

Put the pic on the scanner - double click scanner icon - click on scan - this will put your pic in the aforementioned "my pictures'.

Once pic is in "pictures', double click on it to open - the option to 'crop', 'rotate' and other stuff is on the right side of screen.

Once you've 'cropped' and 'rotated' [that almost sounds obscene], be sure to save changes.

To 'edit' further, Right click on pic - click on 'Edit' - this will give you a bunch more options.

If you want to use the pic as an avatar, while in 'edit' mode, click on resize - click on 'pixels' - take the highest of the 2 numbers showing and change it to 90 - the other number will automatically change - click OK.

Now, click on the blue box in the upper left. Click on 'Save As' - "GIF Picture" - give it a name, and click 'Save'. Instant new avatar.

Hope this helps.

Any questions just holler.

Professor Tull

I did find that one, but it does not offer the EDIT feature on hers. I right click and I get open with a different program. It only offers a crop and that is about it.

Miz Vouz

anyways, I have Photo shop (the full edition,) but it is command heavy. I still like to use PaintShop Pro. I started with it when it didn't even have a version number. I have version 8 on my computer, but I mostly prefer to use 7 on a daily basis...It is easy to use.

Rotate, crop and resize are very basic things to do. When you get into masks, layers, histograms and the such..then you are playing with the big boys...

I am sending you a pm....

curley

Got it and thanks... very cool..

Thanks y'all... I am going to try a free program... and look at other options on Monday.. Bankers day off ya know.. loll I have to go to town anyhow for a luncheon so I might as well make it a shopping day too..

I did find that one, but it does not offer the EDIT feature on hers. I right click and I get open with a different program. It only offers a crop and that is about it.

There is a Second Option !

Go to the Start screen - click on the start button bottom left -

Look over the 'left' menu listings - if you see "Windows Live Photo Gallery" click on it - if not, click on "All Programs" at the bottom of the list and look for the 'photo gallery' there.

Click on WLPG - all the pics in the computer should be shown.

Double click on a pic - when it opens, look at the top left of the screen - you should see a 'blue box' - then 'EDIT' - 'create - 'view'.

"Edit" will have your resizing, cropping and numerous other features right at your fingertips.

Happy editing !

If you still have problems, see the PM I am sending you.

Tull

Deja,

Since you are not receiving PM's, I am not sending you one.

If you have problems, PM me a way to contact you and I will gladly walk you thru it, and you can be cropping and resizing this weekend.

Tull

Deja,

Since you are not receiving PM's, I am not sending you one.

If you have problems, PM me a way to contact you and I will gladly walk you thru it, and you can be cropping and resizing this weekend.

Tull

Opps.. sorry I was playing on there and I guess we filled it up .. lol.. I have room again now.. PM me.. thanks..l

Archived