SASS Wire Forum

Tex's Chronicle article

Cowboy Rick, SASS #49739L

I've been holding off in saying this, but it's to the point now where I'm pissed off.

I don't know who it was, but I'm calling him/her out. Who decided it would be a good idea to take a proposal that was for adding just 1 category, them bunching it in together with a bunch of other changes? SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING OUR CONGRESSJERKS WOULD DO. And if that sounds like an insult to you, GOOD IT'S SUPOOSED TO.

And to all you folks out there that can't think of anything other than "NO NEW CATEGORIES" you should resign if you are a TG!! Part of your "job" is to help this sport grow. SASS is saying the average age of the shooters are going up. Maybe it's because the rules are such that a newbie doesn't feel they can compete right off the bat, and they are discouraged by this. Having a broad category range for everybody might help. And to those of you who say you can shoot BP in GF, wake up! It's NOT THE SAME THING! That's like saying let's just lump all the "Older than 65 folks" together in one class and let them go at it. Can you imagine the reaction to that suggestion?

I am disgusted by the happenings in Vegas. I certainly don't feel good about SASS right now, I won't be sending any money to SASS this year, I was hoping to go to EOT also, but I think instead I will go to a place where I (and my money) am/are wanted.

I said part of what I wanted to say, but I'm having to hold back a bunch. Now it's your turn, FLAME AWAY!! :angry:

Dammit - I like your style - I'm takin' notes pard :D

Have a great day pard ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just grabbed some stats from 7 state or major matches in some of the nearby states where I shoot. I've shot most of these, and these are all from 2011. States are MN, IL, OH, TN, MO, for no particular reason.

1,622 total shooters - 223 shooting black powder = 13.75% Of the total shooters, you get about an even spread from 3.5% to 4% in each of FC, FCD, and Frontiersman. FCGF is a little lower at 2.7%, but was not offered at 2 of the matches I took data from. These are percentages of the total shooters.

EOT mirrored these numbers almost exactly. Winter Range had just under 13% BP shooters, but did not offer FCGF.

We exist.

CR

I just grabbed some stats from 7 state or major matches in some of the nearby states where I shoot. I've shot most of these, and these are all from 2011. States are MN, IL, OH, TN, MO, for no particular reason.

1,622 total shooters - 223 shooting black powder = 13.75% Of the total shooters, you get about an even spread from 3.5% to 4% in each of FC, FCD, and Frontiersman. FCGF is a little lower at 2.7%, but was not offered at 2 of the matches I took data from. These are percentages of the total shooters.

EOT mirrored these numbers almost exactly. Winter Range had just under 13% BP shooters, but did not offer FCGF.

We exist.

CR

13% of the most entertaining shooters in SASS I bet :P

I just pulled some numbers from 3 of my clubs recent events, randomly.

Average 178 shooters

31 classes

17 BP shooters

17 classes with less than 5 shooters per class, this DOES NOT count classes with 5 shooters

Playing by your rules, these would be the classes to be eliminated per lack of participation; all classes listed below had less than 5 shooters all 3 events.

Cow Girl, Frontiersman, Junior Buckaroo Girl, Grande Dame, Ladies Gunfighter, Ladies Wrangler, Senior Gunfighter,

Next on the chopping block would be;(less than 5 shooters at 2 of these events)

B Western, Elder Statesman Duelist, Gunfighter, Junior Boy, Ladies Silver Senior, Ladies Frontier Cartridge, Ladies Duelist, Ladies B Western, Silver Senior Duelist.

Now before you get your panties all bunched up, Imagine how us FCGF's feel. We ask for 1 extra class, so we can have a place to call our own, to be recognized for all the extra crap we have to do to put on a good show.

I would not vote to remove or delete any of the above classes. I don't feel right taking something away from you all. But fair is fair. I don't get a class for what I do cause there aint enough of us, well I see 7 classes that should go away for the same reason.

Average 178 shooters

31 classes

17 BP shooters

17 classes with less than 5 shooters per class, this DOES NOT count classes with 5 shooters

Playing by your rules, these would be the classes to be eliminated per lack of participation; all classes listed below had less than 5 shooters all 3 events.

Cow Girl, Frontiersman, Junior Buckaroo Girl, Grande Dame, Ladies Gunfighter, Ladies Wrangler, Senior Gunfighter,

B Western, Elder Statesman Duelist, Gunfighter, Junior Boy, Ladies Silver Senior, Ladies Frontier Cartridge, Ladies Duelist, Ladies B Western, Silver Senior Duelist.

Now before you get your panties all bunched up, Imagine how us FCGF's feel. We ask for 1 extra class, so we can have a place to call our own, to be recognized for all the extra crap we have to do to put on a good show.

I would not vote to remove or delete any of the above classes. I don't feel right taking something away from you all. But fair is fair. I don't get a class for what I do cause there aint enough of us, well I see 7 classes that should go away for the same reason.

+++1

P.S.

Gunner, If I ever get the chance to meet you, the beer (Coke, Sprite, Tequila ....) is on me. Thanks for your support.

We stick together - FCGF pards we are - boy, I am thirsty....:D

GG ~ :FlagAm: .

Average 178 shooters

31 classes

17 BP shooters

UH OH!

We really need to talk! Hope to see you at 5 Dogs or Chorro Valley!

:wub:

Allie "who has thoughts but won't risk writing them here" Mo

Average 178 shooters

31 classes

17 BP shooters

Please note in my earlier post that I am against deleting classes and would have voted against the proposition as written. The time to do this was in the realignment mode when they went crazy adding classes and POd some nice folks who had been playing by the rules for years, i.e. Modern class. BP has no age breakouts, so if there really are 40 classes, one more is a 2.5% increase in classes, which is less than the participation rate where FCGF is offered (4.5%)

It certainly would not change anyone's game that does not care to shoot the class.

PS - Every venue I checked where FGCF is offered has had at least 4 entries, no fewer. Might be surprised what would happen if folks knew it was a full time category.

Thanks for your time - CR

UH OH!

We really need to talk! Hope to see you at 5 Dogs or Chorro Valley!

:wub:

Allie "who has thoughts but won't risk writing them here" Mo

Allie Dear,

This is just me thinking out load, while 5 Dogs is one of my most favorite shoots, and the folks there are truly some of the bestest people I have ever met, I may have to pass on that shoot for a few different reasons;

1) SASS does not offer my category "Officially" so that means I have to shoot something other than what I am used to, or I can "handicap" myself and shoot FCGF in regular GF class. If everyone else had to shoot in a different class, then it would be a fair event and I would think a little more on going.

2) May 17-20, 2012 - SASS Black Powder State Championship

Robbers Roost Vigilantes - 14th Annual Defend the Roost

http://www.robbersroostvigilantes.com/

May - The Cowboys - AMBUSH AT MILL CREEK

There are a lot of good shoots in May. Robbers Roost is offering a Frontiersman Gunfighter category. Yep, cap and ball gunfighter. Now there's a challenge. Too bad it's a SASS event. (Ya I'm pissed at SASS)

Ambush, It's my home club, what can I say?

I've been holding off in saying this, but it's to the point now where I'm pissed off.

I don't know who it was, but I'm calling him/her out. Who decided it would be a good idea to take a proposal that was for adding just 1 category, them bunching it in together with a bunch of other changes? SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING OUR CONGRESSJERKS WOULD DO. And if that sounds like an insult to you, GOOD IT'S SUPOOSED TO.

And to all you folks out there that can't think of anything other than "NO NEW CATEGORIES" you should resign if you are a TG!! Part of your "job" is to help this sport grow. SASS is saying the average age of the shooters are going up. Maybe it's because the rules are such that a newbie doesn't feel they can compete right off the bat, and they are discouraged by this. Having a broad category range for everybody might help. And to those of you who say you can shoot BP in GF, wake up! It's NOT THE SAME THING! That's like saying let's just lump all the "Older than 65 folks" together in one class and let them go at it. Can you imagine the reaction to that suggestion?

I am disgusted by the happenings in Vegas. I certainly don't feel good about SASS right now, I won't be sending any money to SASS this year, I was hoping to go to EOT also, but I think instead I will go to a place where I (and my money) am/are wanted.

I said part of what I wanted to say, but I'm having to hold back a bunch. Now it's your turn, FLAME AWAY!! :angry:

Well. It WAS a stand alone agenda item. 2 TIMES. Got voted down BOTH TIMES.

And don't blame the TG's. They just vote how there clubs tell them to. Even if it is not what they want.

The TG's job is to vote HOW the clubs wants them to. Not how they feel personally.

So you are not sending SASS any money. Go ahead. Take your ball and go home.

Just because you can not have your own little category. :wacko:

Out of ALL the categorys we have. You REALLY can not find something to make you happy???? REALLY???? :blink:

Think I will join you. If I can not have my own category. I am going to stomp my feet and have a little fit. :huh:

Anvil Al...your SASS world is all happy joy joy..good for you. Others are trying to grow the sport to include a category for their enjoyment. Nothing wrong with that. FCGF WILL someday be an 'official" category...because of passionate people working towards it.

GG

Anvil Al...your SASS world is all happy joy joy..good for you. Others are trying to grow the sport to include a category for their enjoyment. Nothing wrong with that. FCGF WILL someday be an 'official" category...because of passionate people working towards it.

GG

Yep. Pretty happy around here. B)

Life is to short to get that upset over not having a category.

I wanted and worked to get them to let us shoot Blackhawks in Deulist and GFer.

It got on the agenda. Got voted down.

But I did not throw me a little hissy fit, and tell them to stick it. I was not joining.

And HOW is he going to change it if he is not a member?????? Why would they listen to a non-member. <_<

Not problem with him trying to keep working, trying to get it done. If that is all it takes for him to give up

his membership. Then he was not that into it to begain with.

Yes. I think FCGF will end up being a category. But dang. We need to cut it somewhere. Just how many can we have.

It has got plum out of control with these categorys.

P.S. Have no problem with any club or match, that wants to add it if they have enough

people wanting to shoot it.

We exist.

CR

So what you are saying for FCGF is that 3% of the shooters should have 3% of the Categories....nice how that worked out ain't it...well done. I'm sure several categories are less populated than that.

So what you are saying for FCGF is that 3% of the shooters should have 3% of the Categories....nice how that worked out ain't it...well done. I'm sure several categories are less populated than that.

Actually, in my unscientific sampling, the total percentage of FCGF was the same 4% or so as the other BP categories. So it's more like 4% of the shooters are asking for 3% of the categories. If we can make a cogent argument, we may prevail.

CR

The FCGF category is quite popular (and offered) at many matches in New England. I shoot it if it's offered. Otherwise you'll find me "hidden" in LGF. Like at Winter Range. I ALWAYS note on the application that I am shooting BP in a smokeless category just in case somebody wants to keep track of the TRUE number of BP shooters at a given match. I would encourage my Soot Buddies to do the same.

We are getting buried in with The Smokeless Ones and that gets used to prove we don't exist!

The ranks of BP shooters have grown substantially over the years. Offering FC helped as you no longer had to be able to shoot one-handed to shoot BP. That's how I got my start. Offering a ladies FC and FCD grew the ranks and there's a lot more ladies that shoot BP now. I shot with the men before there were ladies categories for BP but many ladies aren't willing to do that.

It really is quite annoying to have the array of age-based and costume categories for The Smokeless Ones and not have ONE category for a legitimate shooting style with a legitimate propellant. No one with any sense with argue that shooting BP is a handicap in a smokeless category. Why do we have to do that when nobody else does? I'm going to keep shooting FCGF with or without the category but if it were offered, there would be more players. Even as a "non-category" or "sometimes-category" there's often more of us than many other "official" category participants.

I wanted this to pass as bad as anybody but I told my TG to vote no as some of the other stuff in that item was not acceptable. It should have been stand alone, not wrapped up with other category changes.

The matrix idea that was floated again this year but didn't make it as an item on the agenda is the best solution I've seen to all these problems. I hope that comes back as a real agenda item for next year.

I was priveldged to be a part of a conversation that was mainly between Tex and Stone Creek Drifter while we were at Comin At Cha. I mostly was listening. One thing that Tex said that goes along with your original post Rick, is that he has remained fairly silent on this issue because anything he says could for obvious reasons be considered biased. You know, he prefers to shoot FCGF himself. I would guess because of this statement that he made in Texas last November, is why he is not saying much on this issue now.

Yep. Pretty happy around here. B)

Life is to short to get that upset over not having a category.

I wanted and worked to get them to let us shoot Blackhawks in Deulist and GFer.

It got on the agenda. Got voted down.

But I did not throw me a little hissy fit, and tell them to stick it. I was not joining.

And HOW is he going to change it if he is not a member?????? Why would they listen to a non-member. dry.gif

Not problem with him trying to keep working, trying to get it done. If that is all it takes for him to give up

his membership. Then he was not that into it to begain with.

Yes. I think FCGF will end up being a category. But dang. We need to cut it somewhere. Just how many can we have.

It has got plum out of control with these categorys.

P.S. Have no problem with any club or match, that wants to add it if they have enough

people wanting to shoot it.

Fair 'nuff I reckon...but yes life is short, that's why some have strong feelings about some things and look to get things changed. That's how I read our good Marshal's posts. Some have the balls to speak up (when I do I get called 'repulsive' :rolleyes: )...so I give big kudos to our pard Marshal Phil DeGrave.

Hey! I'm shootin' tomorrow so my balls are gonna be chillin' (literally):lol:

Have a great weekend all...

Crowing about it on the wire don't do much to change it.

Not paying your membership does less.

I would be more impressed if he paid up. Stayed a member, and

tryed to do it the right way.

Seems all he has done so far is throw a little fit and say he is not

playing no more if he can not have his way. That don't impress me much.

Where was he when it was up for vote in 09 an 10???

Don't remember him crowing for it then. Only when it did not happen.

P.S. If you can find another category to CUT. I would be all for this one.

It's not that I am against FCGF. I just don't want ANY new one added without

cutting something else. Enough is enough.

We need to reduce categorys. Not add.

To quote a line from a movie, “If you build it, they will come”

FCGF would be a well represented category if only it were given a chance. It’s hard to understand why the resistance all this time. But I have shot this style exclusively for years and intend to keep doing so. Might even try Frontiersman Gunfighter as well.

Regardless, as our soot sweetheart Lou Graham said, those of us who prefer this style are going to keep shooting FCGF with or without the category.

Make Smoke!

~:Wylie:~

Crowing about it on the wire don't do much to change it.

Not paying your membership does less.

I would be more impressed if he paid up. Stayed a member, and

tryed to do it the right way.

Seems all he has done so far is throw a little fit and say he is not

playing no more if he can not have his way. That don't impress me much.

Where was he when it was up for vote in 09 an 10???

Don't remember him crowing for it then. Only when it did not happen.

P.S. If you can find another category to CUT. I would be all for this one.

It's not that I am against FCGF. I just don't want ANY new one added without

cutting something else. Enough is enough.

We need to reduce categorys. Not add.

How do you know that he is only 'crowing' about it on the Wire..Do you know the history of the efforts he is working on to do his part. I ain't gonna speak for him, but certainly support his frustration. People express issues all the time on the Wire - that's what this Wire is for - to share, discuss information about SASS - this is a SASS appropriate subject.

Again - you are content with what YOU have....that's good and dandy. Your shoe may not fit another's foot.

To quote a line from a movie, “If you build it, they will come”

FCGF would be a well represented category if only it were given a chance. It’s hard to understand why the resistance all this time. But I have shot this style exclusively for years and intend to keep doing so. Might even try Frontiersman Gunfighter as well.

Regardless, as our soot sweetheart Lou Graham said, those of us who prefer this style are going to keep shooting FCGF with or without the category.

Make Smoke!

~:Wylie:~

One year at the Midwest Classic they had a Josey Wales side match with 20 targets for 4 pistols. I shot it GF with 4 Remies. Probably the slowest time of the day, but what a hoot! GF with C&B is a real handful.

CR

Doc - You gonna make our IBPG match this May?

We ask for 1 extra class, so we can have a place to call our own, to be recognized for all the extra crap we have to do to put on a good show.

Thats funny.

DDD - you got a dog in this fight, what do ya think?

You coming back to St; Jude's? Bring that fine young lad with you if you can make it.

CR

I really hoped and thought FCGF would pass. GF and FCGF seems to be represented very well in the South and in the Midwest. I shoot it most of the time. Other times I shoot FCD or Renegade (a cartridge revolver variant of Plainsman). Heck, I even shot Cowboy once and that was fun too. Outlaw I can't commit to. I miss enough as it is.

Who does it really hurt having more categories? And of course how do you budget for awards at big matches for 5 dozen categories? Excess categories, do seem to muddy things down a bit but in the end, overall results are overall results. An infinite amount of categories has no bearing on that. So many questions to ponder. So it goes......

Put another way, we are living in a territorial status til we get the full rights and representation of statehood. I say be patient and wait. Our day will come.

We will be back to St Jude. It may not be this year, but definitely the next year. Maybe make it a biennial event for us. Have to work this out with the wife and more importantly see who else can join the road trip for this worthy match.

How do you know that he is only 'crowing' about it on the Wire..Do you know the history of the efforts he is working on to do his part. I ain't gonna speak for him, but certainly support his frustration. People express issues all the time on the Wire - that's what this Wire is for - to share, discuss information about SASS - this is a SASS appropriate subject.

Again - you are content with what YOU have....that's good and dandy. Your shoe may not fit another's foot.

No. There is a lot of things I would change. Things I would love to see change.

But I am not a going to quit SASS over it.

If he is so upset that he is not going to be a member anymore. Then why is he on a SASS site???

He should quit that also.

Now where is that Double Duelist category???? And why can I not use a Blackhawk in Duelist or GFer????

I have frustration with so many categorys. But that don't mean I am going to give up my membership.

With so many catagorys now (shoes) you can not find a pair that fits???? Then maybe you are to picky on

what type of shoes you wear. :unsure:

The rack only hold so many pair of shoes. If you want to add a pair. Then get raid of a pair first.

You fight for it. I will fight against it.

So far I have been winning. (that could change sometime as I see it being added soon)

Be glad to vote for it if you could find another one to get rid of.

No. There is a lot of things I would change. Things I would love to see change.

But I am not a going to quit SASS over it.

If he is so upset that he is not going to be a member anymore. Then why is he on a SASS site???

He should quit that also.

Now where is that Double Duelist category???? And why can I not use a Blackhawk in Duelist or GFer????

I have frustration with so many categorys. But that don't mean I am going to give up my membership.

With so many catagorys now (shoes) you can not find a pair that fits???? Then maybe you are to picky on

what type of shoes you wear. :unsure:

The rack only hold so many pair of shoes. If you want to add a pair. Then get raid of a pair first.

You fight for it. I will fight against it.

So far I have been winning. (that could change sometime as I see it being added soon)

Be glad to vote for it if you could find another one to get rid of.

Your 'winning'? ...:mellow: ....good grief :lol:

So do you want a men's fcgf and a woman's fcgf? Or is one big little class ok?

I'll say sorry in advance but just asking....

Ya better be thinking two new catagories (mens & womens) anytime someone (man or woman) climbs up on their soap box and starts preaching for a new catagory(s).

Just saying.

Blastmaster

Your 'winning'? ...:mellow: ....good grief :lol:

Sure. Has been up for vote 3 times and voted down 3 times.

Each time that is how I ask my TG's to vote. So ya. I call that a win.

I would be more likly to add it IF it was combined with FCD. Making one good sized category.

Would even vote to combine regular Duelist and GFer into one category. And in doing so would more

than likly cut me out of winning any award at any major match.

But that is fine if that is what needs to happen to get these category under control. I would be willing to give that up. Also let them shoot GFer in Frontiersman, heck I think you should be allowed to shoot GFer style in any aged based category also.

We need to be combining some. Not water them down more.

Ya better be thinking two new catagories (mens & womens) anytime someone (man or woman) climbs up on their soap box and starts preaching for a new catagory(s).

Just saying.

Blastmaster

And don't forget Sr Gfer. Because as soon as FCGF passes. That will be the very next thing they want. And as soon as

that passes. It will be Sr FCGF and Sr FCD.

It never ends with people wanting there own little sub category.

Just how thin CAN we slice this pie. :blink:

Sorry for getting back into this so late. I had to go out to dinner and celebrate a birthday. West coast time also caused a delay.

AA,

Where have you been for the last two years. I have been right here pushing for FCGF for at least that long, if not longer. If you think I'm whining about losing, ya ok. I can deal with that. As far as me leaving, yes I might do that. Many folks have said right here in this sight, if you're not happy with what's going on, show them by taking your MONEY elsewhere. Is one person leavin going to help? NO. But I don't have to give up my cash for something I don't feel good about.

AA,

What class do you shoot in?? How about we get rid of that class to make room for, oh let's say "Farting Dust" (ANOTHER AGE BASED CATEGORY)I read something about Ruger Blackhawks? Really? That's PF uncowboy in my view. Never seen a BH in any cowboy movies. So somebody had to create a special class just so BH owners could play with thier toys, right?

How many "Old Fart" classes do we have? We could certainly trim that down by a few? BW is a costume class, we could certainly allow BW folks to shoot in any class they want, and if they want to be recognized for thier costumes, they could enter the costume contest.

Do you see my post about how in 3 random shoots, almost half the classes had less than 5 shooters. Let's scrub those classes. Those folks could surely find another class to shoot in. Senior Gunfighter?? Why?

Because it comes down to this. EVERYBODY WANTS TO WIN. EVERYBODY WANTS THE BUCKLE. So SASS has to make a place for every shooter to have a chance at winning thier class. Almost every club in the country will offer FCGF if somebody asks for it. (THANKS FOR THAT BY THE WAY). All we are asking is for SASS to make it an official class, so we too can be recognized just like everybody else.

AA, you last comment is pretty f'in short sighted. Any business person will tell you, you have to give the people what they want. The demand for 1 extra class is here, there is just too many others with thier heads burried in the sand to see what's going on.

Best regards,

MFDG

Archived