SASS Wire Forum

Question about the movie TOMBSTONE

Widder, SASS #59054

At the end of the movie and Doc is lying on his death bed, Wyatt presents him with alittle book (booklet) titled: 'My Friend, Doc Holiday'.....by, Wyatt Earp.

Q?: did Wyatt really author a book about Doc?

..........Widder

As already mentioned, Wyatt Earp never wrote a book about Doc Holliday. However, a fellow by the name of Jack Fiske who was living in Tombstone when the movie débuted , thought that it would be a good idea to create a book that looked like the one in the movie and convinced the owners of Big Nose Kate’s Saloon in town to publish it. The seventeen page booklet was written in the language and syntax of the mid to late nineteenth century as Wyatt Earp may have written. The author says in the preface that it is a combination of fact and fiction and not to be taken historically by the reader. There is a knock-off reprint of it that shows up on eBay from time to time.

~:Wylie:~

As already mentioned, Wyatt Earp never wrote a book about Doc Holliday. However, a fellow by the name of Jack Fiske who was living in Tombstone when the movie débuted , thought that it would be a good idea to create a book that looked like the one in the movie and convinced the owners of Big Nose Kate’s Saloon in town to publish it. The seventeen page booklet was written in the language and syntax of the mid to late nineteenth century as Wyatt Earp may have written. The author says in the preface that it is a combination of fact and fiction and not to be taken historically by the reader. There is a knock-off reprint of it that shows up on eBay from time to time.

I used to have a cocktail with Jack every once in a while in Sierra Vista. He taught me to drink rye whiskey.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

And here I thought you were gonna ask about Josie's third leg in the riding scene :lol:

A three-legged woman... you know what that means don'tcha?

Be like havin' twins all wrapped up into one unit.

ts

Dang it, ts!! :o

You owe me a keyboard! :P

Pure Hollywierd. Wyatt never wrote a book about Doc, was not there when Doc expired, and Doc died in a room in the Glenwood Springs Hotel.It was referred to as a sanatorium. Makes for a good bit of film, though.

And here I thought you were gonna ask about Josie's third leg in the riding scene :lol:

Or the third shot fom Doc's scattergun at the shootout.

(later explained as an editing & continuity error)

I used to have a cocktail with Jack every once in a while in Sierra Vista. He taught me to drink rye whiskey.

I bet it was Old Overholt ;)

I've read in some book about Doc that he really did say "Ohh this is funny" as he stared at his bare feet. Witnesses to this event was none other than Big Nose Kate and a few others at Doc's bedside.

And no.....Wyatt never wrote a book about Doc but ya know just maybe that was a handmade little type of greeting card, like a note to his friend to read when he wasn't there. ??? Hollywood? Probably!:lol:

Some historians say that Kate didn't see Doc again after he left Tombstone shortly after the OK Corral. She was known to be in Colorado at the time of his death but in Redwood staying with her brother, not in Glenwood Springs. The only witness to his death that I have read about was the private nurse who was caring for him.

Some historians say that Kate didn't see Doc again after he left Tombstone shortly after the OK Corral. She was known to be in Colorado at the time of his death but in Redwood staying with her brother, not in Glenwood Springs. The only witness to his death that I have read about was the private nurse who was caring for him.

Amazing. History in the making and nobody even knew it. Just think, 100 years from now, my grandkids can share a picture with their friends and they will ask: 'Who is that grey haired man standing next to Deuce'? They'll be able to say; 'thats my grandpaw'.

History in the making.

..........Widder

Archived