SASS Wire Forum

Thomspon Auto Ordinance 1911 A1

Krazy Kajun

I have a buddy at work that has a Thompson Auto Ordinance 1911 A1 in 45ACP blued that he's offered to sell to me for $375....has about 200 rounds through it. Its in about 95% shape.

I don't have a 1911 so this would be my first purchase in this type of pistol. I was thinking about shooting WB in a few months and wanted to know if this would be suitable for WB. I don't have a lot of extra money to spend on this and was not planning on buying this but this seems like a good price.

What do ya'll think?

It isn't legal in "formal" Wild Bunch at state or higher levels. Dead stop.

Some clubs that are doing WB in local matches, with local exceptions, may allow it as the rifle.

The gun itself is nowhere near as good as the guns made back in the 20's and 30's, according to most reviews. Failure to cycle for more than a few shots at a time is common.

Don't even touch it unless he lets you test fire it with about 250-500 rounds of LEAD BULLET round nose ammo. If this specimen won't feed and cycle, I would not want it at any price.

If you think you don't really have the money for a gun, you are probably correct. Especially for something that you cannot identify the pressing need for, and are not sure you would be allowed to shoot in matches.

OK, so I was thinking about the wrong gun. Wow.

Good luck, GJ

It isn't legal in "formal" Wild Bunch at state or higher levels. Dead stop.

Some clubs that are doing WB in local matches, with local exceptions, may allow it as the rifle.

Howdy GJ, not tracking with you on this. Why isn't it legal? Can you elaborate? Thx!

Here's a link to the gun: Thompson Auto Ordinance 1911

Methinks he's thinkin' "Tommy-Gun" instead of pistola.

Still. I'd take the advice of cycling a hundred or so rounds of lead through it before buying.

Maybe. If so, I sure didn't know anyone was shooting tommy guns at the local WB level. Sounds like Zoot shooting to me.

I have a buddy at work that has a Thompson Auto Ordinance 1911 A1 in 45ACP blued that he's offered to sell to me for $375....has about 200 rounds through it. Its in about 95% shape.

I don't have a 1911 so this would be my first purchase in this type of pistol. I was thinking about shooting WB in a few months and wanted to know if this would be suitable for WB. I don't have a lot of extra money to spend on this and was not planning on buying this but this seems like a good price.

What do ya'll think?

kk, garrison joe thinking 27a1 thompson. not 1911. which if it was the rifle it would be the bargain of the year but anyway the 1911 you mention is legal for wb. i take it to be bone stock mil spec and if it is you can shoot in modern or traditional . just make sure it's reliable.......i shoot with a young man who has one of these and it runs well and he shoots it well. ..............dusty

kk, garrison joe thinking 27a1 thompson. not 1911. which if it was the rifle it would be the bargain of the year but anyway the 1911 you mention is legal for wb. i take it to be bone stock mil spec and if it is you can shoot in modern or traditional . just make sure it's reliable.......i shoot with a young man who has one of these and it runs well and he shoots it well. ..............dusty

Sure, I was responding as if OP was about the Thompson semi-auto copy of the "27A1 submachine gun".

The AutoOrd 1911 is a pretty good gun from what I've read, quite legal for either category in WB, and at that price, a pretty good deal. Go for it, if you can afford it.

GJ

I have an AO GI model 1911 and it is a great gun. Perfect for WB. It was my #1 WB pistol until I got my R1. The R1 pushed it into back-up status. But it goes to every WB shoot and is always ready to soldier on.

For that price I would snag it up right quick like if'n I were you. Shoot it's just barely broke in.

The Auto Ordnanve 1911 is a perfect Wild Bunch gun. It's well-made, reliable and one of the last American made 1911s. Brand new they go for about $600, so $375 for a slightly used one is a steal. Just an opinion from a guy that's sold a bunch of them.

Thanks for all the input...I think I'll take the advice given here and shoot a hundred or so rounds of lead 45 ACP through it. I did a little looking on a few online gun auction sites and the price seems pretty reasonable. Hopefully it'll all work out and I'll finally have me a WB pistol. Gearing up a little at a time.

About three years ago I bought two Auto Ordance 1911's, took em to the range and kept the best one.

About a year later I found a Springfield Arms on sale, and bought it saying great upgrade.

Sold the AO 1911.

Now the SA was real picky on feeding, and did not like lead bullets.

Bought another (the third one) AO and sold the SA.

AO all the way for WB....

Got it, shot it, bought it :)

I was at a friends about 5 years ago when one of his neighbors came over to visit. During the visit, the Neighbor announces he has an AO 1911 he would like to sell. He wanted $180 for it.... I bought it and it is one of the best 1911's I own. Great trigger and feeds lead really well. :FlagAm:B)

I was at a friends about 5 years ago when one of his neighbors came over to visit. During the visit, the Neighbor announces he has an AO 1911 he would like to sell. He wanted $180 for it.... I bought it and it is one of the best 1911's I own. Great trigger and feeds lead really well. :FlagAm:B)

I did not have any lead shot available at the range, just bought a box of 50 FMJ reloads that they sold. Glad to hear they cycle the lead shot well. I'm going to have to order some bullets from MBC soon so I'm gonna add some to that order.

So, you folks that reload for WB, what grain lead bullet do you use? If'n you'd care to share your reloading recipe with me via PM I'd appreciate that as well.

I haven't loaded 45's yet so I'm in need of some reloading dies too. I'll load the 45's on a Lee Turret so if so one had a set of 45 Lee carbide dies that they have sitting around send me a PM with an offer.

Thanks.

Archived