SASS Wire Forum

Friday pizza night

Grizzly Dave

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey CB, you cast yer own bullets, right?

So ya pour the lead into the mold, let it sit a few seconds, dump it out.

I've seen videos on you tube of a lubrisizer, so that not only lubes the bullet fur also sizes it? does that shave off lead off a slightly oversize pill? And the vid I saw was a one at a time operation, looks pretty labor intensive to me...

Grizz

Yes I cast , it is a 1 at a time to size , I do not have a luber/sizer , I eather use Lee tumble lube , or I Pan lube after I size then . It is a pain to cut them out of the lubepan , the tool I made is a brass that has been belled , with a spring and plunger to push the bullet out .

The tumble lube is pretty fast to apply , but it take it overnite to dry . I tried the Rooster Jacket lube ,but did not like it , it applyed just like tumble lube with the exception , you have to stand each projectile up , so it took a lot longer for me to do them .

When I pan lube I will lube 150 to 200 at a time , Rooster lube , about the number , the tumbll lube I tend to do 500 to 1000 in one session , It will take 4 to 6 bowls to lube that many , After you shake them around , to cover them with lube , all you have to do is pour them out on wax paper to dry .

I let mine dry for 24 hrs , I will turn them over after 12 hrs or so , by rolling them on the waxpaper .They might be a bit stickey , but that can be cured with a little MICA dusted over them .

CB

Grizz

The thing that you want to watch out for is not having enough ventalation when casting , The fumes are rough on you and Lead posining ain't no fun , If it is injested or blasted in you ,eather way it is not good .

I cast mostly in the winter under the carport , you can run 1500 or so a day if you keep after it , that is running 2 10lb pots . I started casting when the kids were shooting to be able to afford to shoot . But like other things it got out of hand , I had been casting jigs , spinner baits , and sinkers for a long time , I also cast down rigger waights 10 lbs

It is getting hard to get lead now , the last bucket of wheel weights I got , was only about a 38-40% yeald due to steel and nylon stuff in there . I might have to start lead mining at the range , to see if it is worthwhile .

I will smelt and pig the lead out in the field , You also have to watch the fumes and contact with the dross ( the stuff you skim off the top of the pigging pot ) it contains the lead oxcide thet will hurt you .

CB (who takes a long time to hunt and peck )

Grizz

Like everything else , there is a lot to know and then you start learning tricks of the trade , to make it faster and /or easier .

Every once in a while you will miss seeing something that will mess up the batch of lead , then you start wondering WHY am I doing this?

CB

I am disappointed.. pizza night an not one person offered me a dill pickle.. We need to make a check off list of things to have at our parties.. lol..

Just happened to think, I've been getting everything ready except my shootin clothes...but then again, grab the boots and pants, warsh and pack the shirt and I'm done. Just don't want to forget them...

I am disappointed.. pizza night an not one person offered me a dill pickle.. We need to make a check off list of things to have at our parties.. lol..

Deja, we ran out of dill pickles, you were supposed to either make or buy more, don't you remember????

CB, back to taking too much stuff to a big match. I have never taken a backup anything, mainly because I don't have any.

Have never taken a squib rod neither, but today I was out in the shop checking the dowels I could find to see if one was about the right size for a 38, or even a 45. Didn't find any.

I reckon a three piece cleaning rod would fit the bill almost as well, but...then I'd have to find where I put those things. Been using the cable things for cleaning for a while now. Makes it easy to put a whole cleaning kit in a gallon zip lock bag, got mine packed, even though I don't plan on needing it...

Grizz, (HICUP) call me a (HICKUP) hoss. I need a (HICKUP) ride to da Saloon.

I'm (HICKUP) dry !

Hey, (HICKUP) is dat sammm(HICKUP) michs I (HICKUP) smell ?

Bot(HICKUP)tles, give me nother (HICKUP) bottle !!

I'm (HICKUP) dry !

I'm (HICKUP) dry !

Dang.....I did it again...I'm drunk !!! :wacko:

Grizz (HICKUP) give me one of (HICKUP) dem sammichs

And bottles, (HICKUP) Give me just ONE more bottle of Bulleit....

(HICKUP) Gotta have somethin to wash dem sammichs (HICKUP) down wif !!! :blink:

C'mon folks, the night is young! I'm just now finally getting woke up!

Callie the cat is at my feet telling me it's time to head to the bunkhouse, but I'm trying my best to ignore her!

Okay.. I am leaving cuz this is the part where the ducks and the ducklings part company.. woman don't pass gas.. we simply smile cuz it was someone else.. lol

Okay.. I am leaving cuz this is the part where the ducks and the ducklings part company.. woman don't pass gas.. we simply smile cuz it was someone else.. lol

Ladys "Fluff"

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

Grizz

I have a couple of sets of SQUIB rods , that I have built , that I am bringing to CAC . I have saved a lot of folks matches with them . I also carry , a lot of tools on the guncart , hammer , punches , screwdriver sets , Dial calapers , and the list goes on for a while . If you decide to make your own PM me and I will tell you a few tricks , I have learned .

The cable cleaners are fine for a quick clean , but , I perfer a rod and a set of picks , to clean out all of the nooks and corners .

I got in the habit of keeping a range bag on the cart , when I started the game , since then I have added more stuff as the need arose , to help other folks out . I make some of the tools , becuase it is cheaper to make them . I think it would be easier to count the number of matches , that I did not use the tool bag , than it would be to count how many times , I have used them . That reminds me , I need to check the bag , and make sure everything is there , just in case .

It has taken a spell to type this much , have to find more coffee .

Y'all have fun today , I don't know how much I will be on the wire .

CB

Well, looking at the forecast, I guess I'll have to make sure to have a rain poncho along. May see if I can find my portable canopy thingy for the chapel stage too. Don't have any stakes or ropes for it though if it's at all windy...

I think I'm gonna need a bigger buckboard...

the weather ain't my fault!

I sure hope it don't rain on us, I don't like rain much, nor do my shootin irons.

Got my shootin clothes and boots in a box in the garage ready to load, figure I can fergit other stuff, but I'll be needing those.

Starting to wonder if I'm taking too many hats...two to sell, another two that I'd like to keep one or the other, not sure which, my normal shootin hat, Miz Grizz's hat, my dress hat, a couple of hats for us both for the banquet...

OK, if I have that special hat for the banquet, don't need my dress hat, ok, that one can stay at home. Whew. Don't reckon I'll be needing my straw hat neither, guess it stays home too.

One year my Daughter went on a Antique buying trip to Texas. She took one suitcase with just shoes to wear. Her Husband opened it and counted 17 pair of shoes....17 for a 1 week trip.

Big Jake

I don't even own 17 pairs of shoes. I got my tennis shoes I wear all the time, and my shooting boots, and if I dug in the closet I might have a pair of dress shoes, but who knows if they fit or not.

Hats on the other hand, well, as you've seen, I have a bit of a hat problem... but at least I'm selling off some of the ones that no longer fit...

Archived