SASS Wire Forum

Considering Amputation or . . .

Come On Christmas

Also how to put in new choke tubes. The squirrels at the Short Grass range in Oklahoma can be pesky :ph34r:

Thanking double amputees everywhere,

Shameless Womanizer, Esquire

And find out if you have thick enough barrels to install choke tubes BEFORE you lop off anything! The SKBs are famous for having light barrels, which makes it very expensive to put in choke tubes on shortened barrels (if it can be done at all) - some other models do too!

A good shotgun gunsmith can take the necessary measurements and find out. If you don't have one of those around, Briley out of Houston is well qualified (and darn expensive, too).

If you are going to shorten your own barrels, measure several times, and never shorten to less than the legal 18 inch barrel length. Epoxy the cut (JB Weld) to hold the two barrels together. BUt, you are better off letting a good shotgun guy handle the whole thing - like Johnny Meadows or Goatneck Clem or Gunslinger.....or several others.

Good luck, GJ

Let me get this straight... You have a Squirrel problem...you have a SXS shotgun that already has chokes.....you want to spend $$$

to cut the barrels shorter and then put back the chokes you just cut off???? Hmmmmmm... I'd just shoot the SXS the way it is.

Big (whats got his tongue firmly planted in his cheek) Jake :lol:

I cut my Charles Daly 500 very carefully with a new 32 tpi Hacksaw blade. Then I leveled it using the centerline of the bore while chucked in a vise and made 1 pass with an end mill to clean up the saw cut. As mentioned above I filled the space between the barrels with JB Weld. It turned out well.

Randy

It can't be a bad thing to have 1 more shotgun. The money you will save cutting and installing chokes will be money towards a short barreled Stoeger which can and do come with chokes. Modified and Improved Cylinder. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Or just cut a few inches out of the middle and weld the choked ends back on. <_<

Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Big (whats 6'6" and don't never cut barrels) Jake

I've had barrel and choke work done by Bob Day at R&D Barrel Works in So. California. He does exceptional work at very reasonable prices that are clearly posted online. He also has a table of minimum barrel OD's to see if chokes can be installed before you spend the money to ship.

He had a set of o/u barrels choked with Truloc Thin Wall chokes and back to me in a week. His website is www.americhoke.com

It can't be a bad thing to have 1 more shotgun. The money you will save cutting and installing chokes will be money towards a short barreled Stoeger which can and do come with chokes. Modified and Improved Cylinder. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Yep, righty oh! One can not have too many gunz :FlagAm:

Who needs chokes? I DONT NEED NO STINKEN CHOKES!!!!!!!

If you want to get better squirrel accuracy with cut off barrels get them PARADOXED and use solids then you can just nail the empty hide to the wall for curing.

Just sayin it's my 2cents I'll throw it...... hang on we got rid of 1 & 2 cents a few years ago it's now 5 cents worth... i'll throw it against the wall and you can have it if you beat me.

Lazy Dave

Archived