SASS Wire Forum

Best 1873 "Winchester" Match Rifle?

Scratch McCoy

Pards, I have decided to grab an 1873 as my main match rifle. What are some of your favorites of this model? How do the Ubertis and Chaparrals stack up? Want to stick to .45LC like my revolvers. Appreciate everyones help.

It's a shame we can't have any archives here, so we have to re-hash everything every month. There was a long thread on this awhile back.

IMHO, your best bet would be a Uberti '73, bought directly from the cowboy gunsmith of your choice.

Mine is a Beretta Renegade in .357, bought already slicked and tuned up from Cody Conagher, so it's often called a Codymatic. It's great, and Cody is great to deal with.

But there are other great cowboy gunsmiths out there, some well known, some less well known, and it might be a good idea to ask around at your local and regional matches. Buying direct from a gunsmith is cheaper and faster than buying a stock gun, then shipping it, then waiting for it to get shipped back.

Chute isn't the Renegade a pistol?

He is talking about rifles, stay away from the chaparrals

I have been using a uberti for the last 8 years, only malfunction was a broken extractor after 5 years, did the short stroke my self, with a little use the rifle realy became smooth. 32/20 cal

Uberti (makes no difference if it is Cimmaron or Taylors or whoever) is the only way to fly. No Chaparral!!!!

If I was gonna do a new one, I'd have a hard time deciding between having Cowbiys and Indians Store or Pioneer do a "kit" or having Jimmy Spurs do a cut and weld. I have a Codymatic, and it is good too, but Jimmy's work is prettier is all. Either works well.

Chute isn't the Renegade a pistol?

He is talking about rifles, stay away from the chaparrals

Nope. The Beretta Renegade is a discontinued Uberti 73 rifle with a factory short stroke kit in it. No other slicking up just the kit. CDNN and other places were closing them out at fire sale prices here a while back.

You are thinking of the Beretta Stampede which is a Uberti 6 gun with a transfer bar added.

I own 3 73s and the smoothest and slickest I got with all the bells and whistles including SS, lever and butt wrap, Grabber front sight etc etc from Long Hunter at longhunt.com. That is the way to go. That is the best and cheapest way to go in the long run just order it with all the goodies from the start from the cowboy gunsmith of your choice. Jim may be running a little behind with his son Brad laid up but any wait will be well worth it.

Jimmy Spurs makes a great rifle BUT I think he isn't taking orders anymore....at least that's what he said at the SE Reg last year.

Cody makes a fine rifle to and its affordable and reliable.

Many other smiths may be great as well but I have owned or shot these and have first hand experince with em'.

Pards, I have decided to grab an 1873 as my main match rifle. What are some of your favorites of this model? How do the Ubertis and Chaparrals stack up? Want to stick to .45LC like my revolvers. Appreciate everyones help.

I've been shooting a Uberti Border Rifle in .45 Colt with the straight stock for nearly fifteen years. I have the same rifle in .357 and .44-40, but I usually shoot Classic Cowboy which requires a big bore and I save the .44-40 for bp. Lassiter did the action work and short-stroke and the only things that have failed are one extractor and once the tab broke off the bottom of the bolt face. Lassiter fabricated a new bottom tab, avoiding the need to replace the bolt. That's it in nearly fifteen years and untold tens of thousands of rounds. I did have the short stroke updated as other improved links became available.

I prefer the 20" length and heavier octagon barrel of the border rifle and the straight stock, but that's a matter of personal preference.

There are a number of good gunsmiths out there and I don't think anyone is "the best." I would stack my rifle up against any other smith's work, but what really sealed the deal is that Tom only lives about a half hour away. He has done a lot of guns for me over the years.

Uberti (makes no difference if it is Cimmaron or Taylors or whoever) is the only way to fly. No Chaparral!!!!

If I was gonna do a new one, I'd have a hard time deciding between having Cowbiys and Indians Store or Pioneer do a "kit" or having Jimmy Spurs do a cut and weld. I have a Codymatic, and it is good too, but Jimmy's work is prettier is all. Either works well.

Forget the Chaparral. They was junk when they came out. Never got better. Don't even think about one. That's my opinion anyway.

Uberti is the only way to go. From which ever importer you want.

But if you are going to get aciton work done to it.

Or action and short stroke. Might as well buy it from one of the great gun smiths out there.

AJ mentioned the big ones above. I will also name LongHunter as one to get one from.

All of them do good work. But some like one better than the other. But there all good.

They don't HAVE to have action work. But most of us like it, and they do run better and are funner to shoot

when they run smooth.

P.S. I like 20 inch barrel and the pistol grip. Why the pistol grip??

Just look at it. Best looking lever gun going. :rolleyes:

Forget the Chaparral. They was junk when they came out. Never got better. Don't even think about one. That's my opinion anyway.

Uberti is the only way to go. From which ever importer you want.

But if you are going to get aciton work done to it.

Or action and short stroke. Might as well buy it from one of the great gun smiths out there.

AJ mentioned the big ones above. I will also name LongHunter as one to get one from.

All of them do good work. But some like one better than the other. But there all good.

They don't HAVE to have action work. But most of us like it, and they do run better and are funner to shoot

when they run smooth.

P.S. I like 20 inch barrel and the pistol grip. Why the pistol grip??

Just look at it. Best looking lever gun going. :rolleyes:

I'dsay they DO need action work, because without it, they may tend to chew themselves up (not all, but some will). Slicked up and more suitable springs will help a lot. The short stroke kit they don't NEED, but once ya go with one, yer probably not gonna wanna run a 'full stroke' rifle again.

I'dsay they DO need action work, because without it, they may tend to chew themselves up (not all, but some will). Slicked up and more suitable springs will help a lot. The short stroke kit they don't NEED, but once ya go with one, yer probably not gonna wanna run a 'full stroke' rifle again.

Good point about them chewing themselves up.

Uberti without a doubt. The 1866 is a good rifle as well. I suggest you handle a number of rifles and find what you like. As has been said, there's a good number of very good cowboy gunsmiths out there. Cheapest route for a new gun is going to be a gun from a gunsmith who sells guns like Cody Conagher or Long Hunter. With that said, before you go off buying what is cheapest, try others. You might find that you like another gunsmith's work enough to pay extra for it. After all, this is going to be a gun that you will hopefully be using for a long, long time.

If you're not in a hurry, watch the classified here on the Wire. Sometimes there are some decent deals that come up there.

I've got a friend that was really excited when he got his Chaparral, because he saved so much money over a Uberti, he was even more excited when he finally got rid of it.

Randy

If cheaper was better, we'd all be driving Yugos. :D

THE 73 short rife 20" ,is a easy rifle to move in and out door ways and windows

Taylor or Cimmeron ,a super short stroke,a set of wisper springs ,a reduced main spring and you have a good

rife ready for the game

ROSIE

Archived