SASS Wire Forum

Slow Motion Video of Bullet Hitting Target?

Lady T

Does anyone know of, or have, a good video of a bullet hitting a steel target? Preferably a lead bullet, with a cowboy load. Please let me know if you do.

I've found a long one (10 minutes) on YouTube, but the bullets are just disintegrating on impact, though the video is pretty cool to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/user/mattrece#p/u/8/QfDoQwIAaXg

Many thanks!

Lady T.

Try going back through the last season of Top Shot, they have a bunch of "dramatized" slowmo bullet impacts on all sorts of targets. The episode with the speed shooting challenge where the expert was Lead Dispencer should have one or two slow motion impacts on steel.

I couldn't get the one you linked to work. Is this the same one?

You said the bullets are just disintegrating on impact. What do you think they do on impact?

I think she's lookin for something that looks like her avatar.......

. . .

You said the bullets are just disintegrating on impact. What do you think they do on impact?

Sometimes for me, they disintegrate just BEFORE hitting the target - then recombine behind it.... :D :D

Lady T, my question wasn't intended to be a wise crack. Sometimes people just have odd notions about guns and ammo related issues and I was just inquiring. I believe there's a company that is called "Bullet Splat" jewelry. To get a bullet splat like the one in your avatar would take a soft alloy at a modest velocity. They aren't all that common or you would see piles of them at the base of every target after every match. Most bullets at even SASS's modest velocities will disintegrate although we have all seen some pretty decent splats and picked up bullets that if they didn't have rifling marks would look new. With the SASS power factor and minimum velocity you should see very few splats or whole bullets. I have also fired many rounds like Marauder that went through a black hole just in front of the target and rematerialized on the other side with no damage.

Most BP shooters bullets make "flowers" as we cast softer than commercial smokeless bullet makers. If you go to an all BP match, it's easy to find "flowers" below the targets at the end of the day.

Howdy Miz Lou!

Yer right. Easy peasy. How many ya need. I can shoot steel and make em into "mushrooms" or "flowers" all day.

Now PICTURES of em is another story. One time I set up video sharply focused on a target and shot maybe 50 rounds at it, and NOT ONE frame happened to be the instant of contact. Ya gotta have a FAST camera or get real lucky.

Thanks so much for all the replies.

Yusta B. You are exactly right! I was looking for a video of a bullet like my avatar being formed. Dead on! :)

Larsen, your comments were not taken as "wise cracks" at all. I understand what you were saying completely. And yes, the video that I had posted is the one that you put in. It's a long one; about ten minutes! But really pretty cool to watch.

I got in touch with the US rep for Kurzzeit.com and he was kind enough to give me permission to put one of their other video clips on my website (www.bulletsplat.com). This particular video is short, just 5 seconds or so, and it's pretty close to what I had ideally wanted. Except I was hoping to find one a little closer to my Splats. And, yes, I would be that Bullet Splat™ Jewelry person. :rolleyes:

I wanted the video so that "non-shooting" folks might see what happens with the bullet and how it becomes a Splat! That way they can be in on the "cool factor" as well. B)

Lou, Funny you should mention that! I was just given (in exchange for several hugs with several more being held on "account" :wub: ) a few of the BP "Range Blossoms™," at last week's Black Gold Shootout in Kentucky. (A NOT TO MISS SHOOT for 2012 for sure!) I'd not seen those before and can't wait to add them to inventory!! They are very cool and I'll be watching for more of those from now on.

Allie Mo! Great to hear from you, and thanks so much for the kudos, very glad you like your earrings!! Hope I get to see you at the US OPEN this year (I heard tell that my better half is bring the gasoline powered margarita blender to that event). :D

Thanks again to everyone...

Lady T.

Howdy, Lady T -

If it's a picture of the impact you're looking for, I'd contact Wolf Bane (AKA Michael Bane) and see if he has something to help you out. On his new series, Gun Stories, they make extensive use of slo-mo photography in each episode.

Ask him real nice and I'm betting he's got something in his archives that would meet your requirements.

Regards, TJH

Howdy, Lady T -

If it's a picture of the impact you're looking for, I'd contact Wolf Bane (AKA Michael Bane) and see if he has something to help you out. On his new series, Gun Stories, they make extensive use of slo-mo photography in each episode.

Ask him real nice and I'm betting he's got something in his archives that would meet your requirements.

Regards, TJH

TJH,

I'll do that! Thanks for the info and suggestion. I've been seeing a lot of promos on his series lately, but I didn't realize he was a SASS member. Wonderful, thanks again.

Lady T.

Met you at winter range - you were looking for bullet flowers.

Cpt Dan,

You were probably scratching your head at the "tetched in the head" woman out on the ranges scrounging in the dirt. :rolleyes: But, I found several really nice ones there! One that I call Winter's Bonnet is one of my very favorites. Really pretty.

I thoroughly enjoyed everything about my experience at Winter Range. Those folks put on one heck of a shindig. You'd think they all were imports from the South the way they've got the "hospitality" thing down pat. Seriously, some of the nicest folks I've ever met. Checked on me every day at my booth to make sure all was okay, and did I need anything, etc. Just couldn't have been nicer.

I can't wait til 2012. I've already got the camping spot reserved!

Archived