SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 92's with rebounding hammer not legal?

Same here.

<_<

I have been shooting a 38/357 94 trapper with the rebounding hammer and I have been question a time or 2 at the loading table and when staging about the hammer not being down...but always after I show them how it worked the only thing that was ever said was " Next Shooter or " Shooter Ready....never has anyone even hinted that it might be illgel...But I have been told that I could inprove my times with a 66 or 73 ....now if they would just tell my wife :D

So the safety system of one rifle can be used but the safety system of the other will get you DQd?

Not following the thinking here......

What you may not know is these rebounding hammer style guns also have firing pins that are somewhat like inertia type FP's. They are shorter than a normal FP. Even with the hammer fully down on the FP it still won't touch the primer. It has to be hit hard in order to slam the FP forward into the primer.

This is also why the Miruko Win 86's experience FTF's so often.

Simple cure for the complainers regarding a rebounding hammer. At the loading table, simply drop the hammer onto the firing pin, then add a rubber band from the rear sight upright to the hammer spur. Hammer now against firing pin. Problem solved. :D:D:D Nota John

Hummmmm.... I like your style. Would you be available for further council? ;)

Snakebite

I was told, and as in many things I have heard in SASS, may be entirely wrong, that the "no half cock hammer position" was a level playing field thing in that the first cycle of the gun on a half cocked hammer was easier than the first cycle on a fully down hammer.

I too was corrected for sweeping myself with a cross draw holster.

Thank you all who responded. I will be having the rebounding hammer fixed in the future as I personally don't care for it but again wanted to confirm all that had been said here. I knew I could count on all of you!

George-there's a man out there who showed with pictures some years ago how to undo this rebounding hammer. A simple cut off, check with Marauder's web site or post on wire, fellas name something like single action-wish you well,Lee

This rifle doesn't, per chance, have one of those "sideways mounted" hammer spur extensions for when a scope is fitted?

....... if so, that might be what he was referring to ...... :unsure:

The Winchester 94s have tapped hammers for an extension, Not the 92s I've seen. I've shot regional and nat'l matches with my rebounding hammer, Made in Japan, Win 92.

Simple cure for the complainers regarding a rebounding hammer. At the loading table, simply drop the hammer onto the firing pin, then add a rubber band from the rear sight upright to the hammer spur. Hammer now against firing pin. Problem solved. :D:D:D Nota John

And it could be a cure for light hammer strikes, depending on the rubber band strenght chosen ....

I like your style too ...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived