SASS Wire Forum

Cimarron Richard Mason Problems

C.S. Brady, SASS #63699

I shot my new pistol today and found it shot quite a bit to the left. It also needs the cylinder turned just shy of a click to get the ejector to work. I am new to this pistol, so is any of this normal? The caliber is. 38.

Well, the ejector thing is normal. You have to stop just shy of when it clicks to line everything up. A little judicious grinding of the ejector rod will help some, but you still will need to get a feel for when it's right.

As for shooting left, I've not had that problem with any of the dozen or so that I have shot. They point so natural that I just point and pull.

CS I'm with Goody on them being more nit picky about ejection, they are much more particular about lining everything up then a clone or Ruger. Have found the fingernail on your index finger works fine too.

As to the gun shooting left, well HEY LARSEN, LAREN PETTIFOGGER where are you?

First thought that popped into my head if its not the sites then maybe, just maybe the pins that line up the bbl/ejector rod assembly to the frame could be slightly misalligned. Of the 4 opentops and all the 1860s I've owned by both Pietta and Uberti this has never been a problem. Try shooting it off a rest as well.

Don't mean to question your shooting technique, but these guns tend to point out any flawed mechanics in your grip.

I have a pair of them in 44 Special. If I get too much finger on the trigger or get my hand too far around on the grip they will shoot away from my hand.

I shoot gunfighter, if this happens my left gun will shoot to the right and my right gun will shoot to the left.

Re-adjusting my grip so that my wrist and arm are straight and form a straight line with the barrel while getting only the "ball of my trigger finger" on the trigger seems to correct this.

Just sayin' that I'd look at this before I did anything to the gun. Maybe have another shooter with good mechanics shoot 'em to see if they have the same problem.

I sawed mine off to 5" and put Rossi rifle sights on them. They shoot fine now, but when I got them one of them shoot about 8" left at 15 yards.

Great information as aways, thanks for the replies. I can get used to the ejector thing, I was hoping it and the sights were not a sign of a problem with the pistol. I will try it again at the range and check how I was shooting it. I was shooting my pair of match pistols and was hitting where I should and I believe my grip was the same, but this pistol does feel different. I have a match Saturday, so I will try it out when I am done and report back. I really like the pistol. I was thinking I might get another one and use them. I am new to this, so I really appreciate the help from you guys who have been shooting these guns for a while.

I tried it out again this weekend. I shot it from a bench and it still shoots left and high. At 15 yards it is about 2 1/2 to the left and 3 inches high. I was not shooting cowboy loads, so the high part might improve with something lighter.

I tried it out again this weekend. I shot it from a bench and it still shoots left and high. At 15 yards it is about 2 1/2 to the left and 3 inches high. I was not shooting cowboy loads, so the high part might improve with something lighter.

Have a few other people shoot it too. Even shooting from a rest my not eliminate problems with grip or form. If you and two or three others all shoot high an left, I would say that confirms it is the gun, not the shooter.

i had one that shot way left an no matter what i did i couldnt get it close. so i took to to the gun shop had him cut the barral down some and put a dove tail sight on it an now its dead on.

hogshooter

Navy grip frame. I shot it both ways. I will have some of the guys at the next shoot try it out for me. Thanks again for the help.

Navy grip frame. I shot it both ways. I will have some of the guys at the next shoot try it out for me. Thanks again for the help.

I like try everything I can think of that it might be, maybe try out some weird suggestions from others, before I even think about doing anything like shortening a gun, replacing sights, etc.

Just a suggestion.....these open tops are not meant to be used with "standard loads".With no top strap if you use a factory semi-hot load you can actually screw up the frame.I have 3....2 5 1/2 inchers and 1 7 1/2 inch, and for me,all shoot right where they're pointed.

They all shoot high. The originals were set up to be zeroed at 50 yards and the new ones have the same sights.

Lighter loads will cause them to shoot even higher with standard weight bullets. A lighter bullet will bring the POI down some.

I shot my new pistol today and found it shot quite a bit to the left. It also needs the cylinder turned just shy of a click to get the ejector to work. I am new to this pistol, so is any of this normal? The caliber is. 38.

CS, are these 1851 or 1860 consersions?

Archived