SASS Wire Forum

darksiders

I have been collecting the spent brass in a Gatorade bottle of water plus a squirt of dishwashing liquid. After reading the posts above, I am thinking that my Lee handpress with the deprimer may go the the upcoming NC state match so that I can pop out primers before dunking them. Rinsing in critical. I am willing to leave .38 Spec and C45S brass in the solution overnight, but I like to get my .32WCF and .38WCF brass out of the water as soon as possible.

I also wipe the exterior of my shotshells with vinegar-based Windex prior to reloading.

I take the brass from the unloading table, dump it in a range bag and at the end of the day, pop out the primers and dump it in an old laundry deterrgent jug with hot water and a squirt of dishsoap. Shake well, rinse till it becomes clear, lay out on an old cookie sheet on paper towels and set in the oven for a hour @150ºF. Tumble for a couple of hours and my brass looks almost new. Been doin' it this way for over 20 years. Same method I use to clean my BPCR brass... and at $1.25+ per case, I'm rather careful how I treat that brass. I'm still using the same brass I bought with my Sharps in 1987.

Bottom line: do it your way... if you're satisfied; everyone else can go hang... you cleaning brass to please someone else? I ain't, I just want mine to be clean and not damage my dies.

I never deprime until after the brass has been cleaned. never saw any reason to. If I go to a big shoot away from home I don't put the brass in a solution at all. I just bag it up till I get home. Less chance of spillage and I haven't noticed that it makes it much harder to clean.

The thing about spilling the water solution is it's pretty acidic and can mess up what it gets on.

hello fella's,not sure this is the proper place to ask,but seemed like it. anyone have any experiances with nickle cases and bp? would be nice to have bp rounds in one color case, and smokeless in another. seems like the nickle would clean easier(?) thank you, and am sorry if this shouldn't be here.

I use the old KISS principle. Bag it and take it home. When I get around to it, I throw it in the tumbler with wet ceramic media and tumble until I remember to stop. Separate, and lay it out on a towel to dry in the sun. Done. :)

hello fella's,not sure this is the proper place to ask,but seemed like it. anyone have any experiances with nickle cases and bp? would be nice to have bp rounds in one color case, and smokeless in another. seems like the nickle would clean easier(?) thank you, and am sorry if this shouldn't be here.

I have used nickel cases for BP for years now. Can't really say they clean any easier than brass, but helps me keep the BP and Smokeless stuff separate. Be advised that nickel cases seem to split quicker than brass, however, and many folks don't use them for that reason. Since I inspect every round that goes into the box for matches, I don't worry about it- I inspect the brass ones too. A split case can jam up a rifle big time, and really plays hell with your stage time!

Monthly, Annual, or Regional match it's all the same.

Brass goes in canvas bag til I get home.

Then it gets dumped in an old plastic mayonaise jar - or two - with plain hot water

Shakey, shakey, drain, refill jar & repeat til water runs clear.

Lay cases out on a paper towels till they air dry

Dump in vibratory cleaner till shiney.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Well I do pretty much like DJ except I have a small bottle (plastic Mayo Jar) that I put it in at the end of each stage.

I left the brass in the jar too long once ( a few months) now I am paying for it. When I go to deprime the primer breaks up inside the primer hole and leaves a ring of the old prime now I can't seat the new primer all the way. Will not be doing that again and if I do I will throw them away and not bother rinsing them.

I buy the cheapest windshield washer fluid I can find (currently $1.08/gallon at Wally World). I have a two pound coffee can with a tight-fitting lid that I made a leather sleeve for, fill it half full of windshield washer fluid, hang it on the side of my cart, dump my brass in after every stage. Once I get home I stick the can in the sink under the hot water tap, run hot water in it until the water comes out clean, dump the brass in a colander and stir it around until the water is out of all the cases, then tumble...

I know that if you are shooting the real BP then having a bucket with water and soap with you at the range is no trouble as has been posted. This is 2011 pards!! They now make buckets with rubber no leak seals or even paint cans may be used. All the Home Depots and Lowes have plastic buckets from one to five gallons with sealed type tops. If you are close to a construction site then find the painter or Sheetrock finishers as they have mud buckets that seal great and are free when empty if asked for. I found a store online in Alabama that has the neatest plastic buckets with a top that has a lever that catches the notches in the top of the bucket and seal better with each click until no more tightening is possible. I have turned these over in the back of my 3/4 ton truck and arrived home with not one drop of the contents spilled. My only problem is that other people including my son likes them also and I order them four at a time. The company is wisemantrading.com and the name of the bucket is a safety latch bucket. The one gallon bucket sells for about $3.50 and is worth every penny. They also sell Ballistol so you could make it a two or more item order.They are great to deal with and have some neat products to look through. I always buy more than I came for.

I know that if you are shooting the real BP then having a bucket with water and soap with you at the range is no trouble as has been posted. This is 2011 pards!! They now make buckets with rubber no leak seals or even paint cans may be used. All the Home Depots and Lowes have plastic buckets from one to five gallons with sealed type tops. If you are close to a construction site then find the painter or Sheetrock finishers as they have mud buckets that seal great and are free when empty if asked for. I found a store online in Alabama that has the neatest plastic buckets with a top that has a lever that catches the notches in the top of the bucket and seal better with each click until no more tightening is possible. I have turned these over in the back of my 3/4 ton truck and arrived home with not one drop of the contents spilled. My only problem is that other people including my son likes them also and I order them four at a time. The company is wisemantrading.com and the name of the bucket is a safety latch bucket. The one gallon bucket sells for about $3.50 and is worth every penny. They also sell Ballistol so you could make it a two or more item order.They are great to deal with and have some neat products to look through. I always buy more than I came for.

I like Fairshake's bucket idea, but, if you have a swimming pool or know someone that does, many of the chemicals used for pools come in those buckets. You might get them for free, that way.

Rufus

Archived