SASS Wire Forum

Alrighty, Deja, here's the TRUTH...

The Flying Eyeball of Mendocino

A number of years ago a buddy and I were camping in the Mendocino Forest above Clearlake, California. 'Twas a day or two before hunting season, and we'd set up camp early to make sure we got our favorite spot.

Well, Bobbo was tickled about some new umpteen-cell flashlight he'd gotten free from Radio Shack for buying an un-Godly large box of batteries, and was dying to try it out. So, some time after dinner and well after dark, he loaded it with a bunch o' batteries, and we saddled up in my ol' '73 Super Beetle and hit the road - actually, the fire trails that laced that part of the forest.

That old VW was quite a scrambler, and would go just about any place a Jeep could... and we took it into some places that night I was grateful we couldn't see, and wouldn't do the same in daytime. So, we'd putter along until we'd come to a clearing, or meadow. Bob would run that huge light out the window like a cannon on an ol' sailing man-o'-war, click it on, and we'd marvel at the number of eyeballs reflecting back at us. Mostly deer, reflecting bluish-white; coyotes or cats more yellowish...

Then, we pulled up to a clearing, bob ran the light out and clicked it on... and, instead of multiple reflections, there was but one. Probably something like a hundred yards out, there was a single, HUGE, red-orange reflection. At first, I thought it was a glass or plastic reflector on a stake, perhaps placed as a marker. But then, it started to move. Back and forth... left, right, left, right... And then transitioned and began to bob up and down...

Bob whispered excitedly "Rocko! Do you see THAT??"

Hell yes I saw it...!

We watched for a bit as it alternated between back-and-forth and up-and-down, and then... suddenly, while in an up-and-down set, it went down then up... and up... and up!! Bob kept the light trained on it… then suddenly, it began to zoom along a curved trajectory toward us!

Now, the windows on that car took almost seven complete cranks to close... and I swear, Bob made that thing snap shut, barely snatching the light in, all the while keeping it trained on the "Flying Eyeball."

And as we watched, when it was within an estimated ten yards of us, it abruptly stopped… and returned along it's original trajectory... back to it's point of origin, reminiscent of one o’ them old rubber-band paddle-balls.

Bob blurted "JESUS, Rod! Did you see THAT?? What the #%$^ WAS that???"

Uh... needless to say, I didn't have an answer; only gulped as Bob lowered the window and ran the light back out.

We watched the eye repeat it's swaying and bobbing routine for a couple minutes more... and then damn if it didn't take off again!

At that very moment, my sense of survival overcame my curiosity, and, with Bobbo squealing encouragement in a voice that didn't match his six-two athletic frame, I popped the clutch on that Super Beetle and it lived up to it's name - we scrambled the hell outta there, most assuredly hidden behind a cloud of red dust.

Whatever it was in that clearing obviously cherished it’s privacy and did NOT want us there. And that evening I found myself to be particularly sensitive toward it's feelings, and we never, EVER again went near that meadow.

:huh:

I had some good wine in Mendocino.

If I'd has some more I mighta seen that flyin eyeball. :lol:

And driving around in beetles at night. ;)

... now Joe, that was a SUPER Beetle...! ;)

Many adventures in that car... and a blacktail buck would fit nicely in the luggage compartment.

'Pache, we hadn't been touchin' the sauce... but when we got back to camp that changed right quick! ^_^

BIG FOOT!

I'm holding out for BIG FOOT!

Charlie, it was an eyeball, not a big toe~! :lol:

The Flying Eyeball of Mendocino

A number of years ago a buddy and I were camping in the Mendocino Forest above Clearlake, California. 'Twas a day or two before hunting season, and we'd set up camp early to make sure we got our favorite spot.

Well, Bobbo was tickled about some new umpteen-cell flashlight he'd gotten free from Radio Shack for buying an un-Godly large box of batteries, and was dying to try it out. So, some time after dinner and well after dark, he loaded it with a bunch o' batteries, and we saddled up in my ol' '73 Super Beetle and hit the road - actually, the fire trails that laced that part of the forest.

That old VW was quite a scrambler, and would go just about any place a Jeep could... and we took it into some places that night I was grateful we couldn't see, and wouldn't do the same in daytime. So, we'd putter along until we'd come to a clearing, or meadow. Bob would run that huge light out the window like a cannon on an ol' sailing man-o'-war, click it on, and we'd marvel at the number of eyeballs reflecting back at us. Mostly deer, reflecting bluish-white; coyotes or cats more yellowish...

Then, we pulled up to a clearing, bob ran the light out and clicked it on... and, instead of multiple reflections, there was but one. Probably something like a hundred yards out, there was a single, HUGE, red-orange reflection. At first, I thought it was a glass or plastic reflector on a stake, perhaps placed as a marker. But then, it started to move. Back and forth... left, right, left, right... And then transitioned and began to bob up and down...

Bob whispered excitedly "Rocko! Do you see THAT??"

Hell yes I saw it...!

We watched for a bit as it alternated between back-and-forth and up-and-down, and then... suddenly, while in an up-and-down set, it went down then up... and up... and up!! Bob kept the light trained on it… then suddenly, it began to zoom along a curved trajectory toward us!

Now, the windows on that car took almost seven complete cranks to close... and I swear, Bob made that thing snap shut, barely snatching the light in, all the while keeping it trained on the "Flying Eyeball."

And as we watched, when it was within an estimated ten yards of us, it abruptly stopped… and returned along it's original trajectory... back to it's point of origin, reminiscent of one o' them old rubber-band paddle-balls.

Bob blurted "JESUS, Rod! Did you see THAT?? What the #%$^ WAS that???"

Uh... needless to say, I didn't have an answer; only gulped as Bob lowered the window and ran the light back out.

We watched the eye repeat it's swaying and bobbing routine for a couple minutes more... and then damn if it didn't take off again!

At that very moment, my sense of survival overcame my curiosity, and, with Bobbo squealing encouragement in a voice that didn't match his six-two athletic frame, I popped the clutch on that Super Beetle and it lived up to it's name - we scrambled the hell outta there, most assuredly hidden behind a cloud of red dust.

Whatever it was in that clearing obviously cherished it's privacy and did NOT want us there. And that evening I found myself to be particularly sensitive toward it's feelings, and we never, EVER again went near that meadow.

:huh:

Oh, my gosh someone else saw the eyeball.. I feel so much better now... I was only 12 yrs old, my father left with his new wife for Ca and I was left with my step mom on our farm for a while as it closed in escrow. I was left home alone most of the time, my step mom worked, and had found her way into the saloons and dancing and drinking. I was disqusted.

I still had my horses, my dad did see to that so I spend hours that summer out riding our land, checking fences as if the cows would ever come home... and pretending I was not afraid of the dark, lol.. Which I was.. lol

One night I heard the sound of breaking glass in the old barn as I was feeding my horses in the barnyard. I of course paniced, geesh I am a chick.. I grabbed a briddle from my tack box, sliped in on the old cutting mare and mounted her bareback.. I rode that way most of the time back then. I tapped her with my boots, and we headed out of the barnyard at a lope.

I got out into the back 40, and let her slow down. From there I was just laying on her back rubbing her neck while she munched on the timothy grass that was far too long by now. As she grazed and my mind wander I thought back about the noise in the barn, and worried about my step mother. She would be coming home to an empty house too. I knew I had to head back soon. But I had to visit the spot in the pasture that contained a huge hole. I felt the hole was made by a cat, like a huge cat, or a bear or something and I had been sneaking out there off an on since dad left trying to get a peek. Tonight was no different, I had to go look.

I made my way back to the hole... and as I gazed upon it, a movement caught my eye.. there was a man in the tall grasses and all I could see was him with stuff in his mouth squatted down in the tall grass and weeds. As I stared in the moonlight I saw the outline of a rabbit, and what looked like blood running down his hands as he munched... His eyes meet mine about the same time my mare's gaze honed in the direction of my gaze.. as he moved out of the weeds towards me and my horse, she reared and about tossed me on to the ground.. she whirled around in the darkness like a wild horse.. and raced into the night.. I felt something on my pants leg and I was sure he had me.. then it was gone and I was racing across the pasture high speed with my horse. My mare did not fine the gate, we took the fence on that night with me hugging her neck, my hands were tangled in her massive mane.. and tears were in my eyes and I was shaking and riding with He** that night. As we slid into the barnyard I looked down in the light cast from the barn light at my leg.. there on my leg laid a rabbits eyeball, a pink one from one of my pet rabbits..

I stayed with that mare until 2 am when my stepmom came home from the saloon. I never told her the story, she already thought I was crazy .. lol.. But the next morning I made sure the blood stains were washed out in warm water.. but my pet rabbit was gone, maybe it was not a dream?

At 12 impression are huge.. to this day I really do not understand all the events.. in fact I could have been half asleep and my step brother could have planned the whole thing.. lol.. except.. ..............

I did mention the breaking glass sound to my stepbrother. And I only did that because I was in the hayloft a lot at night tossing down bales to feed my horses and I was a bit afraid of the barn cuz I had found signs of someone sleeping there.. Anyhow, he and my step uncle with his boys and some friends all lined up one night.. and used me as a decoy. The plan was I would walk from the corn crib to the barn with a bucket of oats in the light of the barn to feed my horses.. and they would all set out by the old trees and the edge of the concrete block my dad had build as a workshop with their rifles. I never doubted they would take care to miss me with the hail of bullets.

I made my walk that night... and as I moved across the llghted area I felt a pressense if that makes any sense at all. I had this "feeling" as chicks say.. lol.. That I was not alone.. As I walked into the light, I felt my hair on my arms stand up.. and I just for some reason fell to the ground and a blanket of bullets followed.. My eyes could not be taken off of a figure of somone racing past my body on the ground.. towards our mangers. I saw someone leap the mangers and the rifles stopped firing... I did not get up, I did not move a muscle at t hat point.. But one of my older brothers friends who always looked out for me yelled at me to stay put.... lol, ya know you have to understand to this day if someone yells out Deja sit.. i do it.. lol..

I layed on the ground next to my bucket wishing I had a gun.. They would not give me one because the guy would not have shown up then. The night was dark, but the moon was still gleaming in the sky and I felt it was telling me the night was not over, and I worried about my friends and family while I layed in a heap next to a stupid grain bucket.

The shooters all moved about the barn checking for blood, a body, any sign that they had made contact.. I heard the conversations, but I blurred them out in my mind. The guys all walked around the grain building, the machine shed and the barn... I finally got to my feet, and started walking towards voices.. wishing again that I had a gun.. so I picked up a rock, but it was so small that it gave me little comfort. As I gaze at the rock, and wish I was so much bigger, so much tougher, and so much braver.. my best ole pal came towards me .. he had a vacant sort of look on his face as he moved in a robot kind of fashion. As I looked at him, I missed the look that came from his eyes when he saw me. Usually it was a look of protection.... this look was like a trance, or fear, or something I was not use to seeing, and I did not want to see that look on my friend. I did not want to see that look on anyone ever in my life. But here he stood before me with a horrible scared look as he dragged the barrel of his rifle in the barnyard dust... He loved guns, and I knew this was not like him at all..

He came towards me, but have you ever had the feeling that someone does not really see you? I held my arms out hoping the hug I wanted to give him would stop him and roll the clock back to a week ago when none of this had happened. As he fell into my 12 yr old arms, and he was 18, I knew nothing could ever explain the fear he felt.. As he looked into my little kid eyes.. he said.. "He is real, hon.. and I am so afraid for you".. I took it all in as a 12 yr old would from a guy who was like brother.. all I could do was hold on to him in the biggest hug I could give.. To this very day, my hug is my trademark of wanting to erase the pain of that week or any week of any sort of pain. I decided a hug, feels so good to me as it did to him that night that I want to share that feeling for the rest of my life..

The next night, someone shot the window out of our porch from the dining room , and there was blood on the steps from someone. .. and the very next night the police caught a peeping tom in our area.. wounded.. hmmmm

Today I look back on this story and I wonder how much of it my brain created, and how much was real. My step brother says it is all real.. but then he believes in ghosts too.. lol.. And I don't..

Some say... that it was the tramua that come from a father leaving, others say it was a dream.. i say.. I hate eyeballs.. lol.. Hardpans.. fun, huh? lol

Well Deja... THAT gots the back o' my scalp all crawly feelin'...! :huh::unsure:

So, uh scratch it.. lol.. I have to tell you the story is true.. from a 12 year old.. lol

I do believe that at times, we are so hurt that we do allow fantasy to enter our lives and we can not always know the difference..

Now days, thank God, or someone.. lol.. I do know not to take things to heart.. cuz life is but a box of chocolates.. lolll ..

Archived