SASS Wire Forum

Live rounds in your holster belt?

Wagon Box Willy

Howdy Pards,

I received my rig from Springfield Slim a wile back and used it for the first time for practice today in the back yard (seems I've gained a few pounds since I measured for the belt too ;))

I haven't put any rounds in the belt loops yet and it occurred to me that I should ask this question to see what others are doing.

My question stems from my concern over transporting my guns in the car(trunk). Being paranoid about driving though Massachusetts, I was planning on locking up my guns and ammo in separate containers, but then what would I do about my holster?

So what do you folks do?

Here's the Springfield Slim rig by the way

My rig

Well, if I was worried, I'd leave the rounds in the ammo box and load the belt at the range.

I couldn't get your link to work but I have a slim jim type rig and love it.

You won't need to fill the belt with rounds. Just a few for on the clock re-loads and brainpharts. Load how ever many you want when you get to the range.

Here's a link to your pic. link

You can't use the IMG function. It's disabled. Use the Insert Link icon.

Well, here in Colorado we have legal open carry, so I don't give it a second thought. I often have several rounds in my gunbelt when it's transported. Even though I could, I don't wear the belt and guns in the car though.

ditto what Utah Bob said, you don't need the whole belt loaded, I did that exactly one time, just cuz it looked cool. Gets heavy after a while. Now I just load 2 or 3 rounds on my off hand side to reach for in case I jack one out of the rifle or the stage has a reload.

Well, here in Colorado we have legal open carry, so I don't give it a second thought. I often have several rounds in my gunbelt when it's transported. Even though I could, I don't wear the belt and guns in the car though.

+1!

Even though it gives me the willies to think about living in one of the states with restrictive gun laws, I must applaud your courage and persistence in pursuing your interests in an adverse legal environment. If not for folks like you, things would be even worse!

I always keep some (nickel plated) rounds in my gunbelt, just so I don't have to think about it when they are needed.

Buena suerte,

eGG

+1!

Even though it gives me the willies to think about living in one of the states with restrictive gun laws, I must applaud your courage and persistence in pursuing your interests in an adverse legal environment. If not for folks like you, things would be even worse!

I always keep some (nickel plated) rounds in my gunbelt, just so I don't have to think about it when they are needed.

Buena suerte,

eGG

I actually live in New Hampshire where the laws are pretty loose but I will have to drive through MA to get to matches located there as well as one NH club on the eastern side of the state.

ditto what Utah Bob said, you don't need the whole belt loaded, I did that exactly one time, just cuz it looked cool. Gets heavy after a while. Now I just load 2 or 3 rounds on my off hand side to reach for in case I jack one out of the rifle or the stage has a reload.

+1 - I jacked a live round out of my rifle today and had to do an 'on the clock reload' - you don't need but one live round on your belt for that, but just one round is mighty valuable when you need it.

Willy the Harvard Ghost Riders host several shoots each year at the Harvard Sportsmans Club including the MA/CT/RI state championships in early june which is a must attend. Whenever I go to the club the guns are in locked cases but ammo is either in the gun cart or a bag in the truck. Never given it a second thought.

Here is a copy of the MA statutes from the Ghost Riders website, doesnt say anything about ammo...

Massachusetts General Laws chapter 140, § 131G.

Carrying of firearms by non-residents; conditions.

Section 131G. Any person who is not a resident of the commonwealth may carry a pistol or revolver in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of taking part in a pistol or revolver competition or attending any meeting or exhibition of any organized group of firearm collectors or for the purpose of hunting; provided, that such person is a resident of the United States and has a permit or license to carry firearms issued under the laws of any state, district or territory thereof which has licensing requirements which prohibit the issuance of permits or licenses to persons who have been convicted of a felony or who have been convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs; provided, further, that in the case of a person traveling in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of hunting, he has on his person a hunting or sporting license issued by the commonwealth or by the state of his destination. Police officers and other peace officers of any state, territory or jurisdiction within the United States duly authorized to possess firearms by the laws thereof shall, for the purposes of this section, be deemed to have a permit or license to carry firearms as described in this section.

ALSO PLEASE NOTE: When firearms (pistol, rifle or shotgun) are in a vehicle or stored, the firearm must be unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of a vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. It is a good idea to have a trigger lock or approved safety device on any firearm not in a locked container. A firearm is not stored if carried by or under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user.

Dont know if you have ever been to their shoots but from Rindge its only about 30-40 minutes on the road.

Willy the Harvard Ghost Riders host several shoots each year at the Harvard Sportsmans Club including the MA/CT/RI state championships in early june which is a must attend. Whenever I go to the club the guns are in locked cases but ammo is either in the gun cart or a bag in the truck. Never given it a second thought.

Dont know if you have ever been to their shoots but from Rindge its only about 30-40 minutes on the road.

I've never been to a shoot with the exception of stopping by one Tuesday night at the NRA range in Fairfax to watch them. At this point I've only got the pistols (and no hat :))

law issues aside - I have always thought a belt full of cartridges is 100% COOL!! yet, as I am shooting more, I am having a custom rig made that will be sans the loops. It's a weight thing for sure...My shotgun belt has a couple spots in the center for any round to be loaded on the clock if the situation arises.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Howdy

I live in Mass, perhaps I can be of some help.

Yes, your guns need to be unloaded and locked when traveling in the state. You can either lock them in a hard case that has a lock on it, or you can put them in a soft case with a trigger lock. Somewhere there is supposedly a list of what trigger locks are approved, but I have never seen it. No, I am not aware of any trigger lock that will work with a lever gun, so my leverguns go into a big double rifle case that has a built in lock. My shotgun usually goes in the same case with the rifle, unless Mrs Johnson comes along, then two rifles in the rifle case and shotguns in soft cases with trigger locks.

Do not lock up any ammo in the same container as the guns!

Frankly, I have never had it explained to me whether or not the ammo needs to be locked too. I do keep my ammo in a separate canvas range bag in the trunk but it is not locked, just zipped shut. Most shooters I know here do the same. For instance when I travel to other clubs in the state to shoot Trap, the shotgun is in a soft case with a trigger lock, the ammo is in a range bag. Most other shooters I know do the same thing, I don't think I know anybody who locks the ammo, it is just in a separate container from the gun.

To be honest, I usually keep a few rounds in the belt loops of my gunbelt. Not a whole lot, just a few. My gunbelt goes in a separate range bag with my holsters and my shotgun belt, so technically, the ammo on the belt is in a separate container from the locked guns.

Keeping stuff in range bags like this actually makes it easier to load the car for a match. Pistols in a pistol case, rifle and shotgun in the double rifle case. Ammo in a bag and leather in a bag. Just helps keep stuff organized and makes it easier to gather everything together for a match.

Which reminds me, it's almost time to gather my stuff for the first match tomorrow.

P.S. When traveling to Mass for a match, be sure to have a copy of the match flier with you. That way if for any reason you are stopped, you can demonstrate where you are going with a car full of guns.

My friend Lou Grant also says that as a non resident, when she drives into Mass for a match, she must drive directly to the match, and drive directly out of the state when the match is over. No stopping for dinner with guns in the car for out of state shooters, at least that is what she tells me.

Pony - Wait until you see the surprise I'm bringing.

Just for comparison purposes, here is Colorado's law on the subject:

CRS 18-12-105. Unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon - unlawful possession of weapons.

(2) It shall not be an offense if the defendant was:

(a) A person in his or her own dwelling or place of business or on property owned or under his or her control at the time of the act of carrying; or

(B) A person in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance who carries a weapon for lawful protection of such person's or another's person or property while traveling;

But hunting laws require that long guns ~ rifles and shotguns ~ not have a round chambered while in the vehicle. They can, however, still be loaded.

Times have sure changed. The 4 years we lived on Cape Cod (1960 - '63), while Dad was stationed at Otis AFB, were 4 of the best years of my life. Spent a lot of time roaming the piney woods around the cranberry bogs with my single shot .22. Probably couldn't do that today.

Buena suerte, amigos

eGG

Howdy

Which reminds me, it's almost time to gather my stuff for the first match tomorrow.

P.S. When traveling to Mass for a match, be sure to have a copy of the match flier with you. That way if for any reason you are stopped, you can demonstrate where you are going with a car full of guns.

My friend Lou Grant also says that as a non resident, when she drives into Mass for a match, she must drive directly to the match, and drive directly out of the state when the match is over. No stopping for dinner with guns in the car for out of state shooters, at least that is what she tells me.

Pony - Wait until you see the surprise I'm bringing.

Driftwood Johnson,

Where and when is the match tomorrow?

Willy

Kinnicum Fish & Game Club in Candia, NH.

Match

Sorry, but I can't find anyplace what time the shooter's meeting is. Email Captain Morgan Rum to find out.

One of my rigs is an older one from Mernickle and has 40 loops. In the beginning I filled it up with .45's or .44's but dang was it heavy and I'm one of them guys with no butt so I gotta really cinch it tight to keep it from slipping down. But I don't like the look of a bunch of empty cartridge loops. Nowadays, I put ten rounds in the back, spaced every other loop. I think this looks pretty good and doesn't weigh much. If I'm just shooting my .38/.357 guns that day I still have ten .44's in the loops for looks (and one or two .357 rifle cartridges in my vest pocket for a reload, or "just in case", although I've never jacked out a round from a '66 or '73).

Nice looking rig, Willy.

Willy the shoot starts at 0900 with shooters meeting at 0845. Come on over and meet a bunch of the local shooters.

Club is easy to get to, jump on 101 and take exit 3. Right at the end of the ramp on Candia Rd (I think). The road will fork at a gas station/stop and rob, take the right hand "tine". You'll then need to go right on a street, the name of which I cant recall but there should be a Cowboy Shoot sign and it will be right over the crest of a small hill and will come up on you quick about a mile from the gas station. Another right, pretty sure theres a sign there too but its the 1st right if I recall then about a half mile and look for the entrance to the club on the right. Ought to be about an hour and a quarter +/- traffic on Rte 101.

Driftwood would that surprise be Mrs. Johnson or Gus, or both?

I only have one rig with loops, and it was the first. Since then I have had several made, all without loops. It was just too danged heavy. I've found that slip on holders for extra rounds and shotgun rounds work best for me, I can put them wherever I feel like it that day and don't have to try and reach around the back.

Load the belt at the match. In addition to what everyone else says, if you leave the rounds in the loops you will get a greenish yuck forming and the rounds will stick in the loops. At that point a hammer and chisel couldn't get them out for a reload.

...No, I am not aware of any trigger lock that will work with a lever gun...

DJ-

I have trigger locks with nipples on the inside that hold them in place on the trigger guards of most of my guns. I can use them on the open levers of my rifles by putting the post through the trigger guard and the nipples keeping them from moving around on the lever. The lock prevents the lever from being closed all the way. I figure if it won't close it won't shoot.

I put my ammo and pistols in separate locked cases. I put my holster rig with ammo and SG belt in the bottom of my cart which I lock with a cable gun lock through the side and top of the box. I thought I read the ammo had to be locked up, separate from the guns. Even if I'm wrong it's better to be over prepared than under.

I almost got in trouble last year at the Tri-State going from the range to my sister's house which is 20 minutes away. After shooting for the day I just put the guns in the cases with no locks since I was going to be using them the next day. They were in the cases behind the seat on my truck. I almost missed stopping for some pedestrians crossing at a crosswalk. I stopped just in time and the cop who had stopped going the opposite direction gave me the dirtiest look as he went past. Could have been ugly if I hadn't stopped at the crosswalk and wound up getting pulled over.

Howdy Pards,

I received my rig from Springfield Slim a wile back and used it for the first time for practice today in the back yard (seems I've gained a few pounds since I measured for the belt too ;))

I haven't put any rounds in the belt loops yet and it occurred to me that I should ask this question to see what others are doing.

My question stems from my concern over transporting my guns in the car(trunk). Being paranoid about driving though Massachusetts, I was planning on locking up my guns and ammo in separate containers, but then what would I do about my holster?

So what do you folks do?

Here's the Springfield Slim rig by the way

My rig

Willy I have doskosil pistol carry box with locks on it .....size about 14" by 18" by about 6" deep........made a couple three blocks about 2 inches down on each side and screwed to the walls.

Then got 1/4 thick plastic and cut to fit inside profile (plywood would work also) of box to make a shelf .

That way i can put belt and holsters underneath and the pistols on a piece of foam on top of shelf works well and guns dont move around and they are still in a locked case .

I dont leave rounds on the loops so they stay tight.

Edit; I need to read all the replies.......Driftwoods got the best way right there

Archived