SASS Wire Forum

Dutch Oven Recipe Wanted

I'm lookin for a Apple Cobbler recipe using FRESH APPLES, NO CANNED STUFF. I have several recipes from books, but want to hear from all you.

TF

Apple COBBLER

1 (18.25 oz.) box yellow cake mix

4-5 (21 oz.) Fresh Apples

1 stick butter (or two if you're like me)

2 tsp. ground cinnamon

2 tsp. ground nutmeg

Line Dutch oven with aluminum foil. Pour pie filling of your choice in the Dutch oven, spread evenly. Pour in yellow cake mix. Spread evenly. Cut 1/4 inch patties of butter and place evenly along the top. Sprinkle cinnamon on top. Sprinkle nutmeg on top.

Put about 23 charcoals on top of the Dutch oven and about 7 charcoals on the bottom. Cook 30 to 40 minutes or until cake mix is golden brown. Checking it about every 10 to 15 minutes.

Yumm. :)

I'm lookin for a Apple Cobbler recipe using FRESH APPLES, NO CANNED STUFF. I have several recipes from books, but want to hear from all you.

TF

I've made this one a few times:

from Byron's D/O Recipes

Apple Cobbler Deluxe

Filling

8 cups Granny Smith apples; thinly sliced

1 cup dried currants or raisins

1 cup sugar

1 tsp. cinnamon

1 1/4 cup coarsley chopped pecans; divided

Topping

2 cups flour

2 cups sugar

2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

2 eggs; well beaten

1 cup evaporated milk

1/2 cup butter; melted

Prepare Filling: Place apples in a buttered 12" Dutch oven. Sprinkle raisins over the apples. In a separate bowl combine sugar, cinnamon, and 1 cup of the pecans; stir to mix. Spinkle over top of apples.

Prepare Topping: In a large bowl sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl mix together eggs, evaporated milk and melted butter. Add liquid ingredients to dry all at once and mix until smooth. Pour batter over apples then sprinkle with remaining pecans.

Cover and bake for 45 to 60 minutes using 8-10 briquettes bottom and 14-16 briquettes top until topping is golden brown.

Serve with vanilla ice cream.

Serves: 12-14

I like to add some allspice and cloves to it. And cut back on the sugar by at least half a cup.

Not a recipe BUT after almost 50 years we dropped the glass lid to our dutch oven on a tile floor.

The search was on.

There are a lot more orphan dutch ovens than there are lids. No where on any website could I find a lid for our pot.

Went to Bass Pro and discovered that the dutch ovens don't lose their lids but the skillets do. Found the perfect lid (not charcoal capable)in the skillet section.

Not a recipe BUT after almost 50 years we dropped the glass lid to our dutch oven on a tile floor.

The search was on.

There are a lot more orphan dutch ovens than there are lids. No where on any website could I find a lid for our pot.

Went to Bass Pro and discovered that the dutch ovens don't lose their lids but the skillets do. Found the perfect lid (not charcoal capable)in the skillet section.

LODGE has glass lids on their site.

TF

You know, I really like cobblers, but when it comes apples............I think it is apple crisp that gets my taste buds flowing. I've been chuck wagon cooking for a long time and the best for most is peach cobbler. Make the crisp with some rolled oats (quick oats), flour (or cake mix), chopped walnuts, raisins (optional), cold butter, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon. If anyone wants they can come by with some apples and I will make the best apple crisp you'll ever taste.

Well, I really have no recipe, just throw stuff in.

I like pre-made pie crust cut in strips. Put in a layer of apples (I prefer peaches, but apple is good too). Good hunk of butter (real butter is best of course), lots of sugar and a healthy dash of cinammon. Cut pie crust in 1-1 1/2 inch strips and criss cross the strips. Then repeat another layer. Doesn't hurt to add 1/2 cup of water or so to make sure it's good and moist. Pre heating the oven will help. Put a baseball cap fulla coals under the oven, place enough coals on top to THINLY cover the lid. Campfire coals will work fine of course, but I use charcoal more often than not cuz it's easier to handle and not as much loose ash to deal with.

I made a dutch oven cobbler (my first effort BTW) for a block party a few years ago, got real lucky and it turned out fantastic. Another neighbor just happened to make some vanilla ice cream. :) I cooked it until the very last minute, then loaded the oven in the truck and took it over there red scalding hot. It didn't suck whatsoever! There was a little old lady there who opined she thought it was the best cobbler she ever had! I took that as quite a compliment, as I'd bet the beer money that she could make a pretty mean cobbler herownself, and had probably eaten some purty good pie in her lifetime!

Good luck. It ain't rocket science. Plenty of butter and sugar is the key.

JHC

Apple COBBLER

1 (18.25 oz.) box yellow cake mix

4-5 (21 oz.) Fresh Apples

1 stick butter (or two if you're like me)

2 tsp. ground cinnamon

2 tsp. ground nutmeg

Line Dutch oven with aluminum foil. Pour pie filling of your choice in the Dutch oven, spread evenly. Pour in yellow cake mix. Spread evenly. Cut 1/4 inch patties of butter and place evenly along the top. Sprinkle cinnamon on top. Sprinkle nutmeg on top.

Put about 23 charcoals on top of the Dutch oven and about 7 charcoals on the bottom. Cook 30 to 40 minutes or until cake mix is golden brown. Checking it about every 10 to 15 minutes.

Yumm. :)

Yup. That's the way I does it ! ^_^

Archived