SASS Wire Forum

Need hat band reccomendations

Grizzly Dave

For this hat

I have it up for sale, but my asking price is such that I will most likely keep it, which was the plan. If I'm keeping it, it needs a hatband, it used to have the big feathered hatband which was the style back in the late 70s and early 80s. I want something with alot of character, something more than just a braided horsehair strand.

Any suggestions, ideas, thoughts, preferably with links to pictures.

Thanks

Grizz

Wide ribbon huh? Surely you have a picture to show me what that looks like....

:D

Yes I do.

And don't call me Shirley.

Ribbon Band

Wide leather with Bear Claws... and conchos..

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Last time I saw a hat that big... it was sittin' atop a sign...

Cowboy Hat in Vegas

Tell ya one thang right now... just some claws ain'ta gonna cut it on a ten-keg hat like'at. May take an entire stuffed Kodiak... claws, balz and all.

(You know me, Drizzly... just joshin' wi'ya! BTW... can't quite put my finger on it... but you ever noticed how much you and Subdeacon Joe favor?)

ts

My hat

Here is a pix of when I visited GCR, but the hat has one of my beaded chokers on it. It gets comments where ever I go. I make em my self.

I have on other hats, braided horsehair, officers cords and other such. anything is good....EXCEPT 1970's feathers...

haaaaa

curley

No, No. That one cries out for a Rattlesnake skin.

A big featherband with a rattle snake head :lol:

Actually I thing that would look good with a dark brown ribbon band, a wider ribbon of course

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x257/dustygunfighter/Christmas08011.jpg

To get it historically correct we need Pack Saddle Slim's advice. You out there Pack Saddle??

Yep, I'm here, and I agree with the advice of Utah Bob, Dusty, Big Sage and Dog Ears. A 1-inch or even a 2-inch grosgrain ribbon band would not only be period correct but is currently stylish as well. One of my favorite dress hats sports a 1-inch grosgrain ribbon that is similar in color to the hat, but the contrasting band on Dusty's hat looks great, too, in my opinion.

One-inch Grosgrain Ribbon Band Pic

Of course, if you want to go with a leather hat band, something like this is also period correct.

Leather Hat Band Pic

Grizz, ya shore ya want a hat band ?

Remember what happened to Dick's Hat band......

Swelled up so much on his leg, dat hat band got mortified and dey had to cut it off !!!:blink:

You shore ya want it now ???:unsure:

Lets see...

I think I'm going for something other than a simple ribbon.

The only good snake is a dead snake, and wearing one on my bat might be ok, but I'd want some conchos or something to spruce it up a bit if I went that route

Lather with beads, conchos, or something might be ok

That one with bear claws interests me, but is a bit pricey, I emailed the artist in Alaska and asked about it. Unless the customer supplies the claws, she uses fake ones. Same gal makes some neat fur trapper and mountain man hats.

Keep the ideas and pictures coming, this is interesting to me.

Grizz

I just checked out some of the prices of those fancy hatbands. WOW!!! Some cost more than most hats!! Kinda like the ol' song, "Got a ten-dollar horse and a forty-dollar saddle..." :)

I had a rattlesnake hat band when I was a kid in high school. Skinned it myself. Salted the skin down, rubbed a little Borax and whatever into it. No matter what I tried, that skin still smelled like snake. Always had the faint odor about it. Since that time, I've never had a real desire to have another snakeskin hat band.

Kinda like a friend of mine who skinned a skunk, tanned the hide, and made it into a fur cap for his mountain man outfit. He claimed that whenever his wife canned peaches and the house got a little humid, you could always smell that skunk hat. :wacko:

Archived