3. Rio Grande

4. True Grit (both versions)

5. Cat Balloo

6. The Outlaw Josie Wales

7. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

8. Judge Roy Bean

9. Tombstone

10. Lonesome Dove

Reason I ask is I'm planning on collecting a Western DVD set.

I don't have all these yet, but I plan to get them if I can, and maybe a few more.

Here's my list, in no particular order:

1. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

2. Winchester 73

3. Rio Grande

4. True Grit (both versions)

5. Cat Balloo

6. The Outlaw Josie Wales

7. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

8. Judge Roy Bean

9. Tombstone

10. Lonesome Dove

Reason I ask is I'm planning on collecting a Western DVD set.

I don't have all these yet, but I plan to get them if I can, and maybe a few more.

I've been watching a lot of old Westerns lately. Luckily our library has a large selection. A couple of older ones that are not on your list but worth checking out are "High Noon" and "Stagecoach". I wasn't sure that I would like them, but I'm glad that I gave them a try. I found both to be excellent, and would put them in my top 10 list.

This topic comes up every so often. The birds on the wire usually come up with a 100 or so top ten westerns. There are a lot of really good ones. I like just about anything with Jimmy Stewart.

What is Rio Grande? Who was in it?

Rio Grande takes place after the Civil War when the Union turned their attention towards the Apaches. Union officer Kirby Yorke is in charge of an outpost on the Rio Grande in which he is in charge of training of new recruits one of which is his son whom he hasn't seen in 15 years. He whips him into shape to take on the Apaches but not before his mother shows up to take him out of there.The decision to leave is left up to Trooper Yorke who decides to stay and fight. Through it all Kirby and Kathleen though separated for years fall back into love and decide that it's time to give it another try. But Yorke faces his toughest battle when his unorthodox plan to outwit the elusive Apaches leads to possible court- martial. Locked in a bloody Indian war, he must fight to redeem his honor and save the love and lives of his broken family Written by Christopher D. Ryan <cryan@direct.ca>

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042895/

That's from the IMDB. I just remember seeing it when I was a youngster and really likeing it. It seemed different to me, a better story, better acted, better cinematography, than most I had seen.

This topic comes up every so often. The birds on the wire usually come up with a 100 or so top ten westerns. There are a lot of really good ones. I like just about anything with Jimmy Stewart.

What is Rio Grande? Who was in it?

Rio Grande

Yeah, they used to call me "Fast Bob" till I had shot 20 men. Lol!

Here's some more from the IMDB:

There is more going on in the film than in the usual Western. There are relationships. Wayne is disappointed in his son who flunked at West Point and enlisted in the cavalry as a trooper. His mother wants to buy him out of the cavalry. The son wants to prove himself. All of this contributes to some real human moments in the film. Subplots include Trooper Tyree's sometimes humorous attempts to escape the law and the sometimes unwilling help provided by others. And of course there are the Apaches.

The river is a major theme in the movie. It is a barrier which the cavalry cannot cross in their pursuit of the Apaches. This is demonstrated in the opening credits. The cavalry and Mexican soldiers meet at the river in a scene from later in the movie. When captured chiefs escape across the river Wayne meets a Mexican officer in the middle of the stream. He offers to place himself under Mexican command. The Mexican officer declines, saying he must defend the border "at all costs". Wayne responds, "With three men.. .Your dedication to duty is to be commended. I too have my orders." At the end of the film Wayne risks his career with the complicity of General Sheridan (played by J. Carroll Naish) and crosses the river to rescue the children captured by the Apaches.

The supporting cast does a wonderful job with this film. Many are regular faces in John Ford films. Ben Johnson and Harry Carey, Jr. play friends of Wayne's son (played by Claude Jarman, Jr.). Victor McLaglen plays the role of top Sergeant. He played the same role in all three films in Ford's trilogy. Chill Wills is around and is much better than usual as the doctor who helps Trooper Tyree escape from a Texas sheriff. The Sons of the Pioneers are also on hand to sing songs.

Plus this was the third of the "calvary trilogy" movies by John Ford, "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" and "Fort Apache" being the other two.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042895/

That's from the IMDB. I just remember seeing it when I was a youngster and really likeing it. It seemed different to me, a better story, better acted, better cinematography, than most I had seen.

Oh, that Rio Grand. My wife is right. I am getting old. Where is my rocking chair and shawl. How could I forget it. That and the other John Ford/John Wayne movies easily make my list. Somehow I was thinking Rio Lobo.

My favorite John Ford Western is "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon." The whole movie was like a painting by Remington. The ending of "The Searchers" is classic.

I just read that Orson Wells watched Stagecoach 40 times before he had directed Citizen Kane.

I have to add that one to the list.

It's gonna end up being a Top 100, I can tell.

If you are into the directing aspect of movies, you will like "High Noon". It is filmed in real time (24-style). Not a lot of action, but I thought that it was fantastic. It kind of has the feel of an old Hitchcock movie.

Plus, it has Grace Kelly in it- my all-time favorite actress :wub: .

As aside note to Rio Grand, there's a famous youtube video of Ken Curtis singing to The Duke and Maureen O'hara when he was a member of the Sons of the Pioneers.

Red river,Rio bravo, Big Jake, and any john Wayne movie

Shane

Fist full of dollars and most of Clint Eastwood westerns

Quigley down under, and his other westerns

How the west was won

Eddie dean movies

The perfessionals

once upon a time in the west

The magnificent seven

In no particular order:

Eldorado

Big Jake

The Shootist

Quigley Down Under

The Outlaw Josie Wales

Silverado

High Noon

Tombstone

Hondo

Shane

Big Jake was made in 1972 it had John Wayne as big jake. Richard Boone, Maureen o'haira, Patrick Wayne. Great movie check it out you'll like it

No real order:

Lonesome Dove

Broken Trail

Open Range

Chisum

The Outlaw Josey Wales

Pale Rider (more so for the concluding shootout than anything else)

The Shootist

True Grit (both of 'em)

Comanche Moon

Monte Walsh (Selleck)

Quigly Down Under

Unforgiven

Last Stand at Sabre River

Crossfire Trail

3:10 to Yuma (Bale & Crowe)

McLintock

Yep, easily more than 10. And, I could go a good bit farther...but I won't! :lol:

Note to reader...I really disdain the language in many of these movies...one day I hope to purchase a TV Guardian (or the like) to, effectively, cut 'em out. Mebbe true-to-the-times, but I could do without it. Lots of older westerns are devoid of all or most language issue, without detracting from the films. In my opinion, it's too bad so many movies are tarnished in this manner.

J.J.

Hi all!

My favs.

1. The Cowboys

2. Fist Full of Dollars

3. For a few Dollars More

4. The Good the Bad & the Ugly

5. Last stand at Saber River

6. The Bravados

7. The Searchers

8. Stagecoach

9. Red Sun

10. Joe Kidd

Fun westerns

The Quick & the Dead with Hackman. Just for the guns in the flick. I like the Swedish shooting champion's.

Undead or Alive. Totally fun Zombie western.

These are some darn good lists.

JJ the profanity doesn't usually bother me because I accept that most people actually talk that way when they are in private, unobserved situations, which most movies depict people that way. It's when they do it in public that I get offended. It shows a poor upbringing and a level of rudeness that seems to be getting worse and worse.

A lot of young folks seem to not understand this, probably because of movies!

Dang! I had no idea Ken Curtis was such a good singer! I met him once when I was seven or eight years old. I always liked him on Gunsmoke.

He sang a little in the Searchers too.

No one has mentioned Blazing Saddles, so I'll throw that in the pot too.

Big Jake was made in 1972 it had John Wayne as big jake. Richard Boone, Maureen o'haira, Patrick Wayne. Great movie check it out you'll like it

What he said!

"And now you understand. Anything goes wrong, anything at all... your fault, my fault, nobody's fault... it won't matter - I'm gonna blow your head off. No matter what else happens, no matter who gets killed I'm gonna blow your head off."

1. Red River (Duke Wayne)

2. Lonesome Dove ('nuf said)

3. Searchers (more Duke, why we shoot rifles in SASS)

4. How the West was Won (1840's to 1890's, long list of actors)

5. The Gun Fighter (Gregory Peck)

6. The Long Riders (story of James' and Youngers)

7. Sacket movies series of 1970's

8. Open Range

9. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

10. Tombstone

Honorable mention:

Jeremiah Johnson (story of 'Liver-eating' Jedediah Johnson)

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Life and Times of Tom Horn

Winchester '73

Definitely not on my list:

High Noon - There was no such town

Dances with Wolves

True Grit (new version)

Movies that need to be made:

The Western Life of Teddy Roosevelt

Biograhies of Jeff Milton, Bat Masterson and Billy Dixon

I might have to give an honorable mention to "Once Upon a Time in the West." I also like the Sackett movies, as well as the other Louis L'Amour movies made for TV such as "The Quick and the Dead" and "Conagher."

At the beginning of Big Jake the bad guys make a major tactical error by assuming Jake McCandles is dead, but so did a lot of people. At the end of the movie there is a classic exchange between Richard Boone playing John Fain, the bad guy, and John Wayne playing Jacob McCandles.

John Fain: Who are you?

Jake: Jacob McCandles.

John Fain: I thought you were dead.

Jake: Not hardly.

Big Jake is filled with some of the best lines in any Western.

In my opinion Gregory Peck made at least three westerns that were as good or better than the Gunfighter, The Stalking Moon, The Bravados, and The Big Country. An argument can be made that The Big Country is one of the best movies of its times. Burl Ives is a revelation. Chuck Heston is terrific as Peck's rival. Chuck Conners is a sleezy coward.

There is a great western called "The Unforgiven" not the Clint Eastwood movie but the Bert Lancaster film. Audry Hepburn, Audie Murphy, Lillian Gish, Charles Bickford, John Saxon, and Doug McClure. Often overlooked but it shouldn't be. It turns The Seachers on its head.

I just did this topic like 2 weeks ago. I think it comes up every 2 weeks but people,such as myself, are none too happy to tell their favorites.

1.OUtlaw Josey Wales: First one i remember being so realistic. All I had seen was 50's rinestonecowboy crap.

2.Open Range

3.New True GRit. Jeff Bridges Rocked as Marshal Cogburn

4.Unforgivin. How Gun fights really played out( I suspect. I was never in a Gun fight circa 1870's)

5.The Good,The Bad,and The Ugly. Again ,in my ignorance, Thought this was very "Realistic"

6.I can remember the damn name I dont believe it. The one that Clint Eastwood teaches the town to fight for themselves? It implies he is aGhost in the end? HELP ME SOMONE

7.The Long Riders

8.Fist Full of Dollars

9.A Few dollars More.Any Spaghetti western

10.Wyat Earp

Fun Westerns: Jonah Hex,Young guns, The Quick and the Dead,forgot Shanghi Noon

Sucked Air:

3:10 to Yuma (new version) Apaloosa: I heard so much about it could wait to see it but man. How far can you cary a story around a freagin 8Ga.

I just did this topic like 2 weeks ago. I think it comes up every 2 weeks but people,such as myself, are none too happy to tell their favorites.

1.OUtlaw Josey Wales: First one i remember being so realistic. All I had seen was 50's rinestonecowboy crap.

2.Open Range

3.New True GRit. Jeff Bridges Rocked as Marshal Cogburn

4.Unforgivin. How Gun fights really played out( I suspect. I was never in a Gun fight circa 1870's)

5.The Good,The Bad,and The Ugly. Again ,in my ignorance, Thought this was very "Realistic"

6.I can remember the damn name I dont believe it. The one that Clint Eastwood teaches the town to fight for themselves? It implies he is aGhost in the end? HELP ME SOMONE

7.The Long Riders

8.Fist Full of Dollars

9.A Few dollars More.Any Spaghetti western

10.Wyat Earp

Fun Westerns: Jonah Hex,Young guns, The Quick and the Dead

Sucked Air:

3:10 to Yuma (new version) Apaloosa: I heard so much about it could wait to see it but man. How far can you cary a story around a freakin 8Ga.

Sorry didnt meanto hit that button

Hombre

Valdez is coming

Ride the High Country

Naked spur

Ride With the Devil

Stalking Moon

Once Upon a Time in the West

Thye Call me Nobody

True Grit, the new one

and, Devine in Lust In The Dust

Archived