SASS Wire Forum

Western Movies

The Original Bad Bob

Nothing but good westerns out there. It's really hard to see a bad one. It's that some are a lot veered than others.

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875

Here's my all time favorite Westerns

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Quigley Down Under

Big Jake

Monte Walsh (Tom Selleck)

The Professionals

Last Train From Gun Hill

Bite The Bullet

McLintock

Cahill U.S. Marshal

Crossfire Trail

Tombstone

Rough Riders (Sam Elliot)

Last Stand At Saber River

The Mask Of Zorro

Shenandoah

The Sons of Katie Elder

The Tall Men

The Shootist

Shane

True Grit (The Original)

Will Penny

Rough Night in Jericho

Hour of the Gun

Ride Lonesome

The Violent Men

Valdez Is Coming

Tribute to a Bad Man

5 Card Stud

Major Dundee

Tom Horn

Hang 'Em High

Winchester '73

Stalking Moon

The Magnificent Seven

As for Western Comedies:

Maverick (with Mel Gibson, because it had all of the old 1950s and 60's Cowboy Actors in it at one time or another.)

The Good Guys and The Bad Guys

Support Your Local Sheriff

Support Your Local Gunfighter

The Cheyenne Social Club

Paint Your Wagon

Shanghai Noon

:FlagAm:

In no particular order:

The Searchers

The Professionals

Crossfire Trail

Tombstone

True Grit (both)

Valdez is Coming

Stalking Moon

Hombre

The Big Country

The Missing

And INMHO the best western Comedy: The Ballad of Water Hole Number 3.

Noone ever mentions "Riders of the Purple Sage". Ed Harris and Amy Branigan. It's a good flick, a Louis L'Amour novel.B)

Watched Silverado (it's on Netflix now) and it was "eh" pretty good, but not great.

I really liked some things about it, like Kevin Costner (he must have been about 22 at the time) was a hoot to watch. He really made the movie for me. Scott Glenn's character was pretty good too, but overall I thought it was just a mediocre movie and a lot of the other characters were miscast. Jeff Goldblume? Please. And Kevin Kline? He's a good actor, but I didn't believe him in this one. The story was OK, but had so many holes in it it was like swiss cheese, and the music was cheesy too.

Sorry, I'm just too critical I guess.

Watched Silverado (it's on Netflix now) and it was "eh" pretty good, but not great.

I really liked some things about it, like Kevin Costner (he must have been about 22 at the time) was a hoot to watch. He really made the movie for me. Scott Glenn's character was pretty good too, but overall I thought it was just a mediocre movie and a lot of the other characters were miscast. Jeff Goldblume? Please. And Kevin Kline? He's a good actor, but I didn't believe him in this one. The story was OK, but had so many holes in it it was like swiss cheese, and the music was cheesy too.

You're not too critical. It's just that movies, like all art, are subjective. You can get 10 different opinions of the same movie from 10 people. :D

It cracks me up when people argue about whether a movie was good or not. As far as I'm concerned movies are like wine. If you liked it, it was a good one.

Actually a Zane Grey novel.

Yes it is, my mistake, I pulled it out and I'm watchin it tonight. Also it's Amy Madigan not Branigan. It's a great flick, Ed Harris plays Lassiter, the language seemsto be pretty close to the way they talked back then. (at least I think so) Rye

I was just at Wally World digging through the $5 movie bin and saw Jeremiah Johnson there, but I didn't get it. For $5 that's a steal. I should have grabbed it. Maybe I'll have to go back tomorrow!

Instead I got:

Hondo

Pale Rider

Wyatt Earp

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Appaloosa

Then I went to Target and got:

Open Range

The Quick and the Dead

Also recently I got off Amazon:

True Grit (the original)

Winchester '73

the 3 pack of TNT westerns starring Tom Sellick

3:10 to Yuma

I guess I'm starting an accumulation.

I can't find Quigley Down Under locally though. Dang it.

Just watched Rio Bravo yesterday, directed by Howard Hawks. What a great movie!

The chemistry between Angie Dickenson and John Wayne is amazing! I was impressed by what good performances they both gave. Even Dean Martin as The Dude was believeable.

Just watched The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. Honestly, this is the best portrayal of what must have happened, and the effects and aftermath of the killing of any movie about Jesse that I have ever seen.

Brad Pitt as Jesse James, Sam Sheperd as Frank, Casey Affleck as Bob Ford, produced by Ridley Scott, written and directed by Andrew Dominic.

If you like somewhat slow-moving psychological case studies this is a very interesting movie. Ford was a 19 year old hero worshiper who had a inferiority complex and wanted to be famous. He finds the James brothers late in their career and glomms on to Jesse... bickering with Jesse's cousin and friends who all thought he was a creep.

Casey Affleck plays Ford. His performance is excellent.

But then, I'm an English teacher, so I like this kind of stuff.

Just watched The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. Honestly, this is the best portrayal of what must have happened, and the effects and aftermath of the killing of any movie about Jesse that I have ever seen.

Brad Pitt as Jesse James, Sam Sheperd as Frank, Casey Affleck as Bob Ford, produced by Ridley Scott, written and directed by Andrew Dominic.

If you like somewhat slow-moving psychological case studies this is a very interesting movie. Ford was a 19 year old hero worshiper who had a inferiority complex and wanted to be famous. He finds the James brothers late in their career and glomms on to Jesse... bickering with Jesse's cousin and friends who all thought he was a creep.

I must be out of the Historical loop because i was always under the impression that Frank James did his brother in.

Nah, not too critical. To each his own.

Lawrence Kasdan was the director for "The Big Chill" (1983), "Silverado" (1985) and "Wyatt Earp" (1994). Jeff Goldblum and Kevin Klein were also in the "Big Chill." Kevin Costner was in all three films, but his scenes from the Big Chill were left in the editing room. (He was the friend whose funeral brought everyone together.) All that's seen of him are his stitched up wrists in the opening scene.

That's probably more trivia than anyone wanted to know! :)

since I saw it as a kid with my parents at the drive-in

The Searchers

when VCR came out it was the first one I bought

I enjoyed that one also. It is an excellent psychological drama, very close in feel to the book it is based on. On the Wire it seems you either love it or hate it. Most of the haters were disappointed that its not a shoot them up western. I agree Affleck's depiction of Ford is amazing. Pitt as a paranoid Jesse James is a great performance also!

I feel that it's mandatory for every CAS to name Tombstone as number 1 so,

1)Tombstone

2) The outlaw Josey wales

3) Silverado

4) Quick and the Dead

5)The Long Riders

6) Ride with the Devil

7) Purgatory

8) Mc Cabe and Mrs. Miller

9)High plains Drifter

10) Open Range

OH YEAH TOMBSTONE :blush: