SASS Wire Forum

Holster rules

Marshal Max Henry

Is it ok to wear 2 strong side and a cross draw at the same time?

Thanks Doc

From the Shooters Handbook

HOLSTERS, CARTRIDGE BELTS, AND BANDOLEERS

• All handguns must be carried in a safe holster capable of retaining the firearm throughout a

normal range of motion.

• Main match holsters must be located one on each side of the belly button and separated by

at least the width of two fists at the belt. (Note: Pocket pistol and Derringer holsters are not

“main-match” holsters.)

I know some people carry extra guns (Pocket pistols and Derringers) for style points, but to me the more guns you carry the better chance of dropping one.

Is it ok to wear 2 strong side and a cross draw at the same time?

Don't think the rules prohibit wearing holsters as you described. You only get in trouble when you put guns in all of them(or 2 on the same side). :lol:

From the Shooters Handbook

HOLSTERS, CARTRIDGE BELTS, AND BANDOLEERS

• All handguns must be carried in a safe holster capable of retaining the firearm throughout a

normal range of motion.

• Main match holsters must be located one on each side of the belly button and separated by

at least the width of two fists at the belt. (Note: Pocket pistol and Derringer holsters are not

“main-match” holsters.)

I know some people carry extra guns (Pocket pistols and Derringers) for style points, but to me the more guns you carry the better chance of dropping one.

"ONE on each side of the belly button."

Lets not over look the word "ONE". :lol:

Mad Max Henry,

Last year at THE LAST STAND a shooter was wearing holsters like you described. He shot the match without a problem; but they made a

ruling ; and told him that next year he may not wear three holsters.

Or like I've often wondered and am equipped to do, how about for purposes of a Josey Wales shoot? I have two strong side holsters and a cross draw plus a shoulder holster for a total of four guns all safely corralled in leather? Inquiring minds sometimes want to know. Smithy.

Or like I've often wondered and am equipped to do, how about for purposes of a Josey Wales shoot? I have two strong side holsters and a cross draw plus a shoulder holster for a total of four guns all safely corralled in leather? Inquiring minds sometimes want to know. Smithy.

That question came up at the 2009 TG Summit.

Josey Wales is NOT an officially recognized category. If it is offered at a match, any exceptions to SASS rules for that category should be specified by the Match Director.

Mad Max Henry,

Last year at THE LAST STAND a shooter was wearing holters like you described. He shot the match without a problem; but they made a

"They" wouldn't have had to make a ruling if the current rule "AS WRITTEN" had been followed and applied.

ONE on each side = TWO. :lol:

Guest diablo slim shootist
Maybe, I am confused... but why do you want to carry 3 holsters?
+1 :lol: guess i better get ready at our annual for this!

Maybe, I am confused... but why do you want to carry 3 holsters?

I thought that instead of realoading incase i missed and ran out of bullets,and i often do, i could just draw my other pistol. See i am new to this and i am still trying to get it through my thick skull that this is not "real" Cowboy" days. I would think it very realistic ,if you were a person of such Aptitude. i.e Outlaw, MArshal,Sheriff or Bounty Hunter to cary as many weapons as you could. 2 strong side and one cross draw is not that cumbersome so I thought i may be abble to do it. It would take the pressure of having to be acurate lol

Mad Max Henry,

Last year at THE LAST STAND a shooter was wearing holters like you described. He shot the match without a problem; but they made a

Actually he was asked to take the third one off once it was brought to our attention.

2 main match holsters only.....

Stan

I thought that instead of realoading incase i missed and ran out of bullets,and i often do, i could just draw my other pistol. See i am new to this and i am still trying to get it through my thick skull that this is not "real" Cowboy" days. I would think it very realistic ,if you were a person of such Aptitude. i.e Outlaw, MArshal,Sheriff or Bounty Hunter to cary as many weapons as you could. 2 strong side and one cross draw is not that cumbersome so I thought i may be abble to do it. It would take the pressure of having to be acurate lol

Mad Max Henry, welcome. Take a little time and read our handbook. http://www.sassnet.com/Shooters-Handbook-001A.php . It will answer a lot of questions for you, and maybe some you didnt' know you had.

One of the growing pains suffered by SASS over the past years has been the match time constraints of dealing with growing numbers of shooters, many of whom do not wish to be on the range from dark till dark on their Saturday. This has actually been a small part of an ongoing controversy over why we have given up some of our old match flavor, some things we used to do became to time consuming when match numbers doubled. It used to be common for some to wear their derringers, pocket pistols, etc as part of costuming but clearing those guns was required after each trip to the firing line. I fear some shooters might become resentful if one shooter causes regular back logs at the unloading table due to a need to clear extra guns not required as a part of the stage. One of my smell tests for whether one should ask for special accommodation is, would it work smoothly if everyone asked for that same accommodation at the next match?

Unless the stage instructions allow you to reload to make up a miss. (which would be VERY seldom you would find that)

And even then they would want you to reload for it.

Once you miss. It is just that a miss. No making it up. (Except Shotgun)

All the extra shooting in the world is just going to add more time. As the miss will still be counted.

Mad Max henry you have to keep in mind THIS IS A GAME. And some people who come to play the game play HARD, look for advantages and are willing to cut corners. Some of those folks aren't as concerned with safety or maybe just don't realize how danagerous something they are doing is and have to be corraled for OUR own good. And some are just dumba$$ who forget the safety rules or do something STUPID.

Good example was me. I practised a lot of dry firing. I got into a habit of spinning my guns every time I got the sequence down right. My way of fist pumping. Dry firing it was safe to do but with live ammo...., yikes! Fortunately for me when I got my first perfect string and out of reflex spun my revolver on the way to reholster and draw my second I caught myself in mid spin. Nobody caught me and I avoided the embarassment! They could have jumped my butt for spinning a pistol. IT WAS STUPID !!!! And had I been disqualified I would have deserved it. Instead it threw off the rest of that string while I was mentally kicking my own butt.

The rules are there to keep this a game, a SAFE game.

Go read the handbook then come back here and ask someone to explain the lawyerspeak they try to use to cover all bases and a few of the unforeseen. Then try to have fun playing a really cool game.

Archived