SASS Wire Forum

2024 SASS Western Regional / 29th Annual Chorro Valley ShootOut

Roger Rapid

Cowboys and Cowgirls…

If you are signed up for the 2024 SASS Western Regional / 29th Annual Chorro Valley Shoot-Out we’re looking forward to shootin' with you!

And, if you’re not signed up yet, now’s the time so we can look forward to shootin’ with you, too!

This is a stellar Cowboy Action Shooting™ event you just don’t want to miss. Here’s what we have in store for you:
• 12 exciting stages crafted by Sinful (4 stages a day over three days)
• Warm-up mini matches
• Wild Bunch match
• Side matches:
    Speed Pistol
    Speed Rifle
    Speed Shotgun
    Long Range
    Cowboy Trap
    Plainsman
• Black Powder Night Shoot
• Mens’s and Ladies Top-16 Shootoff
• Cowboy Church
• ROI and ROII classes
• Vendors with cowboy goodies
• Food vendor
• Last Chance Saloon
• Texas Hold'em Poker Tournement
• Costume Contest
• Raffle prizes
• Bingo night
• Pick, Sing, and S’mores (campfire jam)*
• CVR’s heralded 5-Star Banquet Dinner
• Dancing featuring Monte Mills and his Lucky Horseshoe Band
• Awards Ceremony
• Incredible coastal weather
…. all wrapped up with super cowboy camaraderie and incredible weather.
* An all-acoustic jam; we’re pickin’ and singin' cowboy and western songs, bluegrass, folks, old-time - bring your instrument (or just come and listen)!

The dates are August 7-11, 2024, and the place is the Chorro Valley Regulator’s range in San Luis Obispo, just 8 miles from the Pacific Ocean where the weather for shooting a cowboy match just doesn’t get any better!

REGISTRATION: Just a click away with CVR’s unique on-line Registration system (you can process your campsite reservation there, too). To register for the match and camping now, and posse with a friend, CLICK HERE.

WHO’S COMING: To see who our early sign-ups are just CLICK HERE.

LEARN MORE: And, if you’d like to learn more about our match, watch this 4-minute video:  CLICK FOR VIDEO

Got any questions? Don’t hesitate to PM me.

Come on out and shoot with us!

Roger Rapid

Edited by Roger Rapid
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

One of my favorite shoots.  Moro Bay is  a delight.

IMG_1932.thumb.jpeg.aaf7bfa51986539f1b284e11822b2b60.jpeg

IMG_1934.thumb.jpeg.3bf8a008888bc2529e17b77a534920d4.jpeg

IMG_1936.thumb.jpeg.dc4edf8a5b5c6256811e6a8676af1600.jpeg

You  spoke great words about Moro Bay. Gotta loves that shoot. Been there 2-3 times. Just plain fantastic.

Jackrabbit Joe & Sly puppy.

Dusty Devil Dale...

Yup - we can accommodate up to 180 rigs in our camping area. The camping area is right next to the Big Tent which is next to the range, so its all in close proximity. And, we have a trolly that goes from one end of our range (the camping area) to the "Trading Post" (vendor area) at the other end to help move you and your carts.

As to the photos Larson E Pettifogger showed, that's Morro Bay - an active California Coast fishing village with a bunch of spectacular seafood restaurants. Morro Bay is a little over 7 miles north of our range and the coastal shops are fun to visit if you find some spare time.

Roger Rapid

• Thanks 1

The dinner on Saturday night is FIRST CLASS! Morro Bay is a pretty nice place for the non shooters to hang out. Farmers Market on Thursday evening in San Luis Obispo is another place to check out, it's a happening place.And then there is the weather factor.

• Like 1

For those who may want to make a vacation out of the match, what is the earliest they can arrive and the latest to depart?

Mad Dog Jack...

Campers can come in Monday morning and must leave by Sunday evening. If you want to extend your vacation, there is a great campground in Morro Bay called Morro Bay State Park. It is right across from the Morro Bay harbor, and the harbor also boasts a super restaurant called Bayside Cafe. Campground has about 20 full hookups and about 60-70 other sites. There's also a dump station there. Campground fills up quickly so it's good to make your plans early. The State Park is about 7 miles from our range.

Roger

Roger, 

Are there limits on how long  shooters may camp before or after the scheduled event-- i.e.,  to go enjoy the central coast or to help with match set up or break down? 

Hi Dusty Devil Dale...

Great minds think alike! - I answered a question similar to your just before your post; "Campers can come in Monday morning and must leave by Sunday evening." We greatly appreciate the offer to help with set-up and tear down, but our team has it down to a nit and I think it would take longer to explain what to do then to have someone do it. As to set up we've already begun the preparation work and our intense work weekends will happen long before the event. And, regarding tear-down, we're pretty much done with shutting down the range within two hours after our awards ceremony on Sunday morning.

I see you are on our WHO'S COMING list (as of 5/03/24) - so thank you for signing up!!! (Now that I see you are coming, I'll yell if we do need help.)

And... THANK YOU FOR ASKING to help!!!!

Roger Rapid

2 hours ago, Roger Rapid said:

Hi Dusty Devil Dale...

Great minds think alike! - I answered a question similar to your just before your post; "Campers can come in Monday morning and must leave by Sunday evening." We greatly appreciate the offer to help with set-up and tear down, but our team has it down to a nit and I think it would take longer to explain what to do then to have someone do it. As to set up we've already begun the preparation work and our intense work weekends will happen long before the event. And, regarding tear-down, we're pretty much done with shutting down the range within two hours after our awards ceremony on Sunday morning.

I see you are on our WHO'S COMING list (as of 5/03/24) - so thank you for signing up!!! (Now that I see you are coming, I'll yell if we do need help.)

And... THANK YOU FOR ASKING to help!!!!

Roger Rapid

I usually don’t leave the range until Monday morning to avoid the Sunday traffic down the coast and into L.A. Has that changed to where we have to vacate Sunday evening?

Hey Yule...

Hope you're good... No problem. Our general policy is that we all leave on Sunday afternoon, but we're okay with folks who need to delay a bit.

Glad you're coming - and look forward to seeing you!!!!

Roger Rapid

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Roger Rapid said:

Hey Yule...

Hope you're good... No problem. Our general policy is that we all leave on Sunday afternoon, but we're okay with folks who need to delay a bit.

Glad you're coming - and look forward to seeing you!!!!

Roger Rapid

I also like the idea of leaving on Monday morning (long drive to Tucson).

Not signed up for this year, but we have it on the to-do list for next year. 

Hope to see you next year, 

Barry Sloe and Trizzlee