SASS Wire Forum

Music streaming without a smartphone

Hopefully an easy one for you guys that are more tech savvy than I. I don't have, and don'[t want a smartphone. However I would like to be able to get a music streaming service in my Jeep, Country music being what it it, or rather isn't, these days. 

Of course I will need a device of some sort to accomplish this, will an MP3 do it? I know that I can connect it to the radio in the Jeep via bluetooth, but I don't know how the service gets to the device. Is it broadcast in some way? Do I have to download songs from my confuser? Or is it some other tech magic I don't know about? 

I've seen MP3 players cheap enough, but I don't know how they work either. 

Suggestions?

Edited by Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770

We have SiriusXM in the SUV, and had it in previous primary road trip cars.  Works well.  We have an indoor unit also, but reception where we live is difficult.  I'll probably get it to work eventually.  Plenty of music channels of all types.

If you got an MP3 player with Bluetooth and an FM Bluetooth converter you could listen to music you downloaded to the MP3 player, but I don’t think you can Stream to an MP3 player. 

7 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

If you got an MP3 player with Bluetooth and an FM Bluetooth converter you could listen to music you downloaded to the MP3 player, but I don’t think you can Stream to an MP3 player. 

What can I get that I don't have to download? I've heard of Spotify or other services, but I don't know how they work. Is there some device that I can play them on that doesn't require a download? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

What can I get that I don't have to download? I've heard of Spotify or other services, but I don't know how they work. Is there some device that I can play them on that doesn't require a download? 

I honestly don’t know. What I wrote above is about the limit of my knowledge on this subject. Sorry. 

You can sign up for Sirius radio and cancel anytime. I had it for a year and there’s way more stations that I could listen to. They have deals like $4.99 a month for example.

Just now, Rye Miles #13621 said:

You can sign up for Sirius radio and cancel anytime. I had it for a year and there’s way more stations that I could listen to. They have deals like $4.99 a month for example.

How do I sign up for Sirius? The radio in my Jeep supports it, but I don't know how to access it. (Please don't say it's an app for your smartphone. I don't HAVE a smartphoneB)).

You can get satellite radio that will offer many specialty stations.  In many late model cars this is as easy as calling 1-800... with your credit card, pay a monthly/annual subscription.  Hit the AM/FM button until it reaches satellite, scroll stations like regular radio.  The drawbacks are big cities with  sky scrapers, tunnels, large overpasses can all block the signal and the continuing subscription fee.

Some MP3 players can stream from wireless internet but require downloading music to leave your house.  I ripped (saved) CDs to the computer then loaded those to my mp3 player, over 1,000 songs.  It plays without fail, no commercials, can play specific playlists I choose or shuffle all songs.  A one time fee for the device 20 years ago.

Edited by sassnetguy50

27 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

How do I sign up for Sirius? The radio in my Jeep supports it, but I don't know how to access it. (Please don't say it's an app for your smartphone. I don't HAVE a smartphoneB)).

No it’s for your car radio. 

23 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:
  1. Visit the SiriusXM website or contact their customer support at (877) 438-9677.

1 hour ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

You can actually call them and set it up. I think you will need your VIN or your radio ID number. 

tel:18006896881

Their website:

https://www.siriusxm.com/

5 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

You can actually call them and set it up. I think you will need your VIN or your radio ID number. 

tel:18006896881

Their website:

https://www.siriusxm.com/

I looked at the link that sassnetguy50 showed. It's not worth $14 a month to me. 

I've seen that Amazon Prime members car get music free from Amazon, I just don't know what device I need. If it's a smartphone again, I'm out. I'll just listen to my CDs.

44 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I looked at the link that sassnetguy50 showed. It's not worth $14 a month to me. 

I've seen that Amazon Prime members car get music free from Amazon, I just don't know what device I need. If it's a smartphone again, I'm out. I'll just listen to my CDs.

It would be a smartphone because it takes an App. 

1 hour ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

You need to talk to them and see if you can get an introductory offer. I was offered the service for $4.99 a month after I canceled my free subscription with my new car, 

Sirius XM has an oldies radio stories channel.

The Gunsmoke show where was wanted for murder was excellent and something that would not have been on 1950s TV.

The Noir stuff is good and makes a long trip fly.

• Like 1

Contact Sirius and request their $5/ month deal.

I have Sirius in my Corvette and when I let it expire; they flooded me with "Sign Up Again" offers.

Painted Lady's new car has a "trial" offer that we will let expire and then wait until she is getting the same $5 offers.

I listen to old rock, comedy, NASCAR and the NFL. 

I love it for road trips and cities where I dont have terrestrial radio staions programmed.

Edited by Creeker, SASS #43022
  • Like 1