SASS Wire Forum

Civil War 2024

From the US Senate website.

then the 17th amendment made Senators a popular vote like house of reps signed 1912 ratified 1913

Screenshot_20240408_103530_Brave2.thumb.jpg.87855facaafb34181cafedf08fd21f37.jpg

Edited by Texas Joker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep I found this, you beat me to it.

How were U.S. Senators originally chosen?

Senators of the United States Congress were originally chosen by state legislatures. Citizens would vote for their state legislators, and those legislators would vote a man into the U.S. Senate.

At the beginning of the 20th century, though, many states had begun to use the popular vote to elect U.S. Senators. But it wasn't a direct election; the election appeared on ballots as a referendum, and the results of that referendum were then confirmed by the state legislature.

In 1913, however, the Seventeenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution standardized the popular election of Senators throughout the entire country. The Seventeenth Amendment also gave a state's acting governor the power to appoint someone to the U.S. Senate in the event of a vacancy.

Because this amendment gives a single individual the power to appoint a U.S. Senator, many states' rights advocates have called for a repeal of the Seventeenth Amendment. They argue that this gubernatorial power bypasses the democratic process.

Although it's easy to see how such power could be misused (consider the recent scandal involving Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich), it can be wielded to create change for the better. For example, five of the first six women to serve in the U.S. Senate were appointed to that position by their state governors.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Because this amendment gives a single individual the power to appoint a U.S. Senator, many states' rights advocates have called for a repeal of the Seventeenth Amendment. They argue that this gubernatorial power bypasses the democratic process.

Although it's easy to see how such power could be misused (consider the recent scandal involving Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich), it can be wielded to create change for the better. For example, five of the first six women to serve in the U.S. Senate were appointed to that position by their state governors.

Republican-passed bill removes role of Democratic governor if Senate vacancy occurs in Kentucky

Too be fair this bill would also prevent a Republican governor from doing the same thing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

If they intended that then why didn't they write it in the Constitution? They had to know that some people would make careers out of being a politician otherwise they would have written in term limits, but they didn't! Hmmm......

good point on the term limits but back then i bet they had a gard time getting anyone interested in serving 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

If they intended that then why didn't they write it in the Constitution? They had to know that some people would make careers out of being a politician otherwise they would have written in term limits, but they didn't! Hmmm......

good point on the term limits but back then i think theuy might have had a hard time getting anyone to serve at all , 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, watab kid said:

good point on the term limits but back then i think theuy might have had a hard time getting anyone to serve at all , 

You’re probably right, they were too busy making a living. I don’t think they got paid much like they do today. Something like 170k and a lifetime pension !!! 

17 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

You’re probably right, they were too busy making a living. I don’t think they got paid much like they do today. Something like 170k and a lifetime pension !!! 

along with the golden parachute insurance 0 pretty great deal ,

• Like 1

On 4/7/2024 at 9:30 PM, watab kid said:

until we start shooting at each other ill refrain from calling it a civil war

Clausewitz would say that in war shooting is not necessary -- it's just what happens when other strategies don't get the job done.

ETA: By way of explanation -- Clausewitz referred to combat (the actual shooting) as the 'cash transaction of war'. In business, you could scheme, maneuver, pressure, make deals, etc. all you wanted to, but if push came to shove, you had to be able to back your play with cash on the table (or in the case of war, back your politics with combat in the field). 

Clausewitz looked at war as multi-dimensional, and felt that a lot of war happened without actual shooting. So just as the Cold War involved a lot of non-violent strategies (e.g., 'containment') between the major powers, some would argue that the current Cold Civil War makes use of non-violent strategies between the two major alignments.

Edited by Ozark Huckleberry
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Clausewitz would say that in war shooting is not necessary -- it's just what happens when other strategies don't get the job done.

ETA: By way of explanation -- Clausewitz referred to combat (the actual shooting) as the 'cash transaction of war'. In business, you could scheme, maneuver, pressure, make deals, etc. all you wanted to, but if push came to shove, you had to be able to back your play with cash on the table (or in the case of war, back your politics with combat in the field). 

Clausewitz looked at war as multi-dimensional, and felt that a lot of war happened without actual shooting. So just as the Cold War involved a lot of non-violent strategies (e.g., 'containment') between the major powers, some would argue that the current Cold Civil War makes use of non-violent strategies between the two major alignments.

see and i would rather have called it an extension of the cold war , in my mind its the commies that took over the democrat party we other thinkers are at war with , more of the political posturing to try to change us from a free country to a communist one , 

they have incrementally implemented the government pay outs starting with "the war on poverty" moving into the handouts from social security o those that did not contribute , more recently the obama insurance schemes , now the illegal handouts and payments , - getting the public to go along and a large portion on the dole will make the transition easy , 

they have incrementally  implemented the restrictions to free speech by making up new words and making other traditionally used words "racist , or something else" , trying to erase history or rewrite it to say what they want it to say , 

they have incrementally implemented policies that have limited assimilation of our culture and language , bending over backwards to accomadte and push competition between cultures as well as tensions , 

they have incrementally changed the foamily structure by indoctrinating the youth in the school systems , taken parents out of their kids decisions - now medically and are changing the definition of not just marriage but now of male and female , they are controlling the population with abortions , 

this is more a continuation of the cold war in out politics , courtrooms , schools and daily lives on the streets of our communities , if it ever becomes a confrontation between old line democrats and republicans it could be a civil thing but i dont see them taking opposite sides in this situation , i believe it would be a lot diffferent layout of oposing sides than that , when 911 happpened it was , i think it would again - will be again when the next incident occurs and i think the situation on our boarders is making that more likely every day if its not inevitable at this point , 

1 hour ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

It's apparently even worse than it sounds.

‘Civil War’ Review: Ridiculously Dopey, Anti-Trump Snuff Film

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2024/04/12/civil-war-review-ridiculously-dopey-anti-trump-snuff-film/

Hmmm…. Wonder why Clay Travis and Buck Sexton, the guys that took over for Rush, are pushing this movie? They’re obviously Trump fans which makes me question this writer’s take on this movie. 

58 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Hmmm…. Wonder why Clay Travis and Buck Sexton, the guys that took over for Rush, are pushing this movie? They’re obviously Trump fans which makes me question this writer’s take on this movie. 

I wonder if they have they seen it or are they just going off the trailer? 

9 minutes ago, Dilli GaHoot Galoot said:

I wonder if they have they seen it or are they just going off the trailer? 

Good question. One of them said they were seeing it this weekend with his son. I guess we’ll see………