SASS Wire Forum

Big honkin' fire

There was a huge 6 or 7 story structure covering over an acre going up a couple of blocks from my place...parking garage or apartments or whatever.  Unsightly pile of crap with the eye appeal of a stack of Legos.  It's been going up for about 7-8 months, interrupting traffic (along with a bunch of road "improvements") and adding hours to my weekly travel to the market, my bank, the hardware store, the library, and other vital places....and it was nowhere completed.

I found the intersection blocked again the morning on my way to breakfast and once at the cafe the manager told me the place had burned to the ground.  4 or 5 towers six stories high were still standing (but probably burned badly enough to be brought down soon) but the "floating" sections were quite literally down to less than 20 feet high.  It was still smoldering when I came home...and causing me to  drive an extra mile to get around this pile of crap. 

It will likely be rebuilt, taking another 7 -8 (or 10, 12, or more) months plus clean up time and interfering with everyone's life because our Mayor and Town Council lied through their teeth when they promised to cut back on runaway growth if they were elected.

Any bets it was caused by an arsonist?

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

It will likely be rebuilt, taking another 7 -8 (or 10, 12, or more) months plus clean up time and interfering with everyone's life because our Mayor and Town Council lied through their teeth when they promised to cut back on runaway growth if they were elected.

Ah, you have a town council like Huntington Beach’s back in the 90’s & 00’s. They claimed that no structures would be more that 2 stories unless there was a first floor parking garage under the structure. They then proceeded to make money building 5-7 story structures. 
HB had a corrupt bunch running it. 

Hopefully it was arson. 

• Sad 1

Our Mayor ran on the promise of "curbing the run away growth".  first thing he did was approve 400 or so new homes.  All were sold before they broke ground...in an area with ZERO infrastructure.  A couple of really good people ran against him for the next election.  Both dropped out, either bought off or scared off.  There were rumors of threats.

He's a great advertisement for retroactive birth control.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Perhaps a proposed office building that discovered it could expect 0 occupancy?

I think that Mythbusters would call that one plausible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wonderful coverage...all about the talking heads, almost nothing worthwhile about the fire.

Just got home.  Looks like another half year or more on traffic screwups cutting my little neighborhood off from almost anything.  Lived here for almost ten years and have been detouring around all kinds of road work and other obstacles for almost three and a half years of that time.

Not much smoke left anywhere near the site, but a couple of trucks still on site for "just in case" duty.

On 4/1/2024 at 9:48 AM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

There was a huge 6 or 7 story structure covering over an acre going up a couple of blocks from my place...parking garage or apartments or whatever.  Unsightly pile of crap with the eye appeal of a stack of Legos.  It's been going up for about 7-8 months, interrupting traffic (along with a bunch of road "improvements") and adding hours to my weekly travel to the market, my bank, the hardware store, the library, and other vital places....and it was nowhere completed.

I found the intersection blocked again the morning on my way to breakfast and once at the cafe the manager told me the place had burned to the ground.  4 or 5 towers six stories high were still standing (but probably burned badly enough to be brought down soon) but the "floating" sections were quite literally down to less than 20 feet high.  It was still smoldering when I came home...and causing me to  drive an extra mile to get around this pile of crap. 

Where were you when it went up in flames? LOL

TM

Somebody was telling a story about a catastrophe in one of those hotels that house migrants.
One bed collapsed, and 11 died.