SASS Wire Forum

Non SASS .45 Colt Carbine - Henry Big Boy X Model

I have wanted a Henry Big Boy X model since I first read about them. I wanted one in .45 Colt. 
Every time I came across one I didn’t have the money to buy it or I had other priorities. My LGS had a brand new one for a while. They were asking $989.00 for it. When I decided to get it, it was gone. Probably a good thing. My bike needed tires and maintenance. 
Anyway, a used X model showed up in the display case of my LGS Saturday. They wanted $750 for it. I bought it today. 

I am looking forward to taking it to the range in the next couple of days. 

IMG_8719.thumb.jpeg.c9d1fe521a33bc5f7b7f3e5943f137e0.jpegIMG_8718.thumb.jpeg.8c3b6666154e551310b94f9573770999.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I’ve considered it too.  My son opted to buy the 44 magnum version.  He likes it a lot but has said several screws keep coming loose.  Not sure if he is talking about the gun or something else 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I took my new Henry to the gun club today to shoot it. I took some hand loads and a box of Black Hill 250 grain .45 Colt. It was windy and part of the rifle range was in use so instead of setting up paper targets I shot steel target. The range has a variety of steel targets set up from 15 yards to 100 yards. 

I am very impressed with this gun. I like the balance, the way it handles and I like the tube loading feature. It also has side loading.

With the Black Hills Ammo I was hitting 4” steel plates out to 75 yards. I had some 205 grain bullets over 5.9 grains of Trail Boss. It was like eating white cake after having chocolate ice cream with chocolate covered almonds and caramel. Blech…

I then switched to my Taffin load. 255 grain RNFP over 8 grains of Unique. Man, what fun. It hit nearly everything I aimed at out to 100 yards. I just had to do a little reckoning at 100.

I really dig the fiber optic sights. 

I could kick myself for not getting one sooner. 

Next range trip will be to see what it really likes. I want to make a special load just for this gun using 255 grain BCS RNFP bullets. :lol: 
This carbine has a high grin factor. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f6d02e25985924bce8c3774e6d8f8bde.jpeg

Edited by Pat Riot
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

I took my new Henry to the gun club today to shoot it. I took some hand loads and a box of Black Hill 250 grain .45 Colt. It was windy and part of the rifle range was in use so instead of setting up paper targets I shot steel target. The range has a variety of steel targets set up from 15 yards to 100 yards. 

I am very impressed with this gun. I like the balance, the way it handles and I like the tube loading feature. It also has side loading.

With the Blacks Ammo I was hitting 4” steel plates out to 75 yards. I had some 205 grain bullets plover 5.9 grains of Trail Boss. It was like eating white cake after having chocolate ice cream with chocolate covered almonds and caramel. Blech…

I then switched to my Taffin load. 255 grain RNFP over 8 grains of Unique. Man, what fun. It hit nearly everything I aimed at out to 100 yards. I just had to do a little reckoning at 100.

I really dig the fiber optic sights. 

I could kick myself for not getting one sooner. 

Next range trip will be to see what it really likes. I want to make a special load just for this gun using 255 grain BCS RNFP bullets. :lol: 
This carbine has a high grin factor. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f6d02e25985924bce8c3774e6d8f8bde.jpeg

Insider Tip ask your LGS to see about the white box ammo from BH ammo ( Its factory seconds ie case scratched ect ) alot cheaper I know mine gets it all the time might be a local deal but worth asking.

• Thanks 1

Enjoy! Always nice buying x new gun!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

Insider Tip ask your LGS to see about the white box ammo from BH ammo ( Its factory seconds ie case scratched ect ) alot cheaper I know mine gets it all the time might be a local deal but worth asking.

Thanks. I will keep that in mind. I reload .45 Colt but another source is a good thing to have. 

21 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Enjoy! Always nice buying x new gun!

Thanks. I really didn’t know how much I was going to like this gun. It’s a fun gun. 

I didn’t buy it for any real purpose. I just wanted one. Might work out to be a nice little brush gun for deer hunting. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Thanks. I will keep that in mind. I reload .45 Colt but another source is a good thing to have. 

Thanks. I really didn’t know how much I was going to like this gun. It’s a fun gun. 

I didn’t buy it for any real purpose. I just wanted one. Might work out to be a nice little brush gun for deer hunting. 

Same here but I buy white box and reload the brass works well when you cant find brass . 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

Same here but I buy white box and reload the brass works well when you cant find brass . 

Do you mean BH Ammo or Black Hills?

https://bhammo.com/

http://www.black-hills.com/shop/cowboy-ammo/45-colt/

Another hint:  I knew a couple of folk who had earlier "brass" Big Boys.  In both cases, their ejectors failed.  I'm pretty sure this weakness has long since been addressed; however, in the unlikely case it should happen to you, replace it with a Marlin 336 ejector.  ;)

And enjoy the heck outta that thing!  :D

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Another hint:  I knew a couple of folk who had earlier "brass" Big Boys.  In both cases, their ejectors failed.  I'm pretty sure this weakness has long since been addressed; however, in the unlikely case it should happen to you, replace it with a Marlin 336 ejector.  ;)

And enjoy the heck outta that thing!  :D

Thank you. I will and that’s good to know about that ejector. The first time I looked over a Big Boy I thought it looked like a Marlin 336 action. 

1 hour ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

Yes sir, Sorry  Black Hills (going off of the photo you posted )  BHA is the head stamp the use even on the 77 grain hp 5.56 ammo we used alot of deployed 

I kind of figured but wanted to make sure. I wasn’t aware of their white box blend. I appreciate the info. :D

Thanks for the review on the Henry X in 45 Colt. I've been giving these the big think for a few years but just haven't done it yet. These Henry "tactical style" lever actions I always thought were done rather tastefully compared to some of the tactical garbage available today in modern lever actions.

Any chance you have any 300 grain handloads you could give a review on?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Thanks for the review on the Henry X in 45 Colt. I've been giving these the big think for a few years but just haven't done it yet. These Henry "tactical style" lever actions I always thought were done rather tastefully compared to some of the tactical garbage available today in modern lever actions.

Any chance you have any 300 grain handloads you could give a review on?

I agree regarding the “tactical garbage”. I was hoping to see the new Ruger Marlin “Black series” (I think that’s what they call it) but after handling the Henry and feeling how smooth it is to operate I knew I would end up with a Henry anyway. :)

No, my heaviest reloads are with 255 grain bullets. I never considered anything above 255. 

Great! A reloading ear worm. Thanks a lot Dantankerous! <_< :lol:

• Haha 1

All the Henry X's I've tried off-the-shelf have been pretty smooth and well-balanced and seemingly well thought out and put together rifles. The sights while a departure from standard lever action open irons are quite excellent for this gun. Just one of the reasons I like it.

And yes, Pat... handloading. :D Because you need another retirement hobby.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

And yes, Pat... handloading. :D Because you need another retirement hobby.

Yep, been doing it for years. I meant the 300 grain .45 Colt being an ear worm…or would that be a rabbit hole?

Either way, I now have to look into this. ;)

18 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Yep, been doing it for years. I meant the 300 grain .45 Colt being an ear worm…or would that be a rabbit hole?

Either way, I now have to look into this. ;)

Some excellent 300 grain .452 options. All depends on how well a levergun will cycle them.

The Speer 300 grain .452 jacket soft point is amazing... if you can find them.

The Hornady .452 XTP 300 grain is awesome. And very available.

Some great cast options as well... be interesting to what COL the X would cycle reliably.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I take it there were no feeding issues? 

No, it’s not a Rossi. :P:lol:

• Haha 1