SASS Wire Forum

Not difficult.  Open the action. Take some padded pliers and compess V spring and work it out. Push pin out at pivot of lever and block.  All the action guts should fall out.  Anything else is pined or screwed. 

Not specifically a good disassembly video but well worth the watch.

4 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Not difficult.  Open the action. Take some padded pliers and compess V spring and work it out. Push pin out at pivot of lever and block.  All the action guts should fall out.  Anything else is pined or screwed. 

Not specifically a good disassembly video but well worth the watch.

I had never heard of, much less seen a lever action shotgun before getting into CAS. And those have all have been 20” barrels. When I see a longer barrel like that in the video, it still looks odd to me, even tho the gun was designed that way. :)

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I had never heard of, much less seen a lever action shotgun before getting into CAS. And those have all have been 20” barrels. When I see a longer barrel like that in the video, it still looks odd to me, even tho the gun was designed that way. :)

Cowboy Action Shooting is a fantasy game.  The originals were made to shoot black powder and longer barrels gave better performance. My original made in 1887.

1333936151_Winchester1887Sept2018.jpg.900b14e271c825a43bd30642d6b3a5c6.jpg

• Like 4

ive always wondered if these were something i might warm to , today at the gunshow i looked at one closely - $600 seemed a bit stiff but it looked a good quality shotgun , still not convinced to make the plunge tho . 

My 1888 vintage Winchester has a 30" bbl, and I love it.  I am unusual in that I prefer long barrels on my shotguns.   I also have a Terminator style one with an 18.5" bbl on it, and I did get a standard shoulderstock to supplement the pistol grip one it came with.  But I prefer the longer tube.  I wish the Chiappa's with long barrels had a fixed choke instead of screw ins.  Maybe the ones from Cimarron will have that configuration...

Beware there is a video on YouTube where the guy drives out the lever pivot pin with a hammer. :(:( BTW, he did not remove the V spring first.

If you need a hammer to disassemble an 1887 you are doing it wrong.