SASS Wire Forum

Nobody Leaves Until We Get the Pictures

Boy! I  bet they were thrilled!

The Living Liberty Bell formed by 25,000 soldiers, 1918.

These are the Bell's dimensions in feet: Length of beam at top, 368. Width of Bell at bottom, 64. Length of each bolt, 395. Width of beam, top to bottom, 435. Total length, top to bottom, 580. Due to effecting and perspective, there are more than eleven times as many men in the beam as in as in the Bell itself.

FB_IMG_1710216542670.thumb.jpg.55bf5e0d12c6b9eff70be6ec3923c9e4.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I would hope to have a watch during the photo shoot. 
I’ll bet that was a regular Cluster #%$&!

The photo doesn’t say, but I would be money that it was the hottest and muggiest day of the year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Found these

05F37684-59CA-4F7D-B8DF-22A3231561EB.png

It was big for a couple of years;  https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/living-photographs-photographs-created-assembling-soldiers-1918/

4 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

I would hope to have a watch during the photo shoot. 
I’ll bet that was a regular Cluster #%$&!

The photo doesn’t say, but I would be money that it was the hottest and muggiest day of the year. 

At least one of them was:

"On a stifling July day in 1918, 18,000 officers and soldiers posed as Lady Liberty on the parade [drill] grounds at Camp Dodge. [This area was west of Baker St. and is currently the area around building S34 and to the west.]

According to a July 3, 1986, story in the Fort Dodge Messenger, many men fainted — they were dressed in woolen uniforms — as the temperature neared 105°F. The photo, taken from the top of a specially constructed tower by a Chicago photography studio, Mole & Thomas, was intended to help promote the sale of war bonds but was never used."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I participated in one such photo while in the Navy. Don't remember the theme but I do remember spending hours standing while the officer that came up with the idea kept making adjustments to the formation. 

What a PITA

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I participated in one such photo while in the Navy. Don't remember the theme but I do remember spending hours standing while the officer that came up with the idea kept making adjustments to the formation. 

What a PITA

I have seen various photos of formations on aircraft carriers. 
Once, aboard our ship, someone got the bright idea for us to make a formation spelling out “CGN-38”, our ship’s designation. 
Though the brain trust (the officers) that came up with this idea had good intentions they also had no clue regarding the distance and angle needed to get a decent shot of this  formation. 
Climbing up 90’ onto the yardarm isn’t quite far enough to get a decent photo of a main deck formation of men trying to form letters and numbers. The whole boondoggle took about an hour. 

• Like 1