SASS Wire Forum

Danny, King of Jesters

"

A 1941 issue of Collier’s magazine tried to describe and explain Danny Kaye's appeal on stage: 

"He shaped precise, imaginary pictures with a pair of long-fingered hands, which a Middle Western columnist once called ‘The most expressive mitts in the theater.’ More astonishing than anything else, he told no jokes — preferring to play characters instead.  There was a Russian ballet dancer, a disgruntled waiter, a concert singer … he used a dozen dialects and a hundred faces."

"He’s shy, and afraid of people — always has been ….  He’s too unsure even to be himself on-stage — which accounts for his highly individual style. When they first see him, spectators can find no signs of a funny man — they see only a pleasant youth of twenty-eight with sandy hair, a thin, six-foot frame and an apologetic smile. Usually they expect him to sing or dance, or perhaps balance a seal — do anything but convulse them with laughter.  But convulse them he does."  

(Photo:  Danny doing his act at La Martinique nightclub)"

FB_IMG_1710169144064.thumb.jpg.6ff0c37ade73566d6a95e2bfda3883bb.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

"The chalice from the palace has the pestle with the poison. The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true."

I don't know how many movies he made, but I can remember seeing at least a half a dozen. The only one I didn't really like was when he played Red Nichols. That one wasn't funny. It was a serious movie. A biopic.

But that man was a hell of a comic.

I really like this scene, but I must say Gary Cooper and Barbara Stanwyck did it better.