SASS Wire Forum

Getting Iced

used to fill our ice house here with that every year then dole it out for your refrigerator/ice box , my grandparents had one that i remember , ice man and milk man came daily back then , 

I remember the "Ice Man" delivering blocks.

A big set of tongs and a leather pad of some sort on his shoulder, to help block the wet and cold as he carried it in and placed it in the Ice box.

I seem to recall both horse drawn and a truck delivery, but I'm not sure if that was Edmonton or Ottawa, (I was kinda young!)

I recall the Bread and Milk delivery as well, both horse and wagon and by truck.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, watab kid said:

used to fill our ice house here with that every year then dole it out for your refrigerator/ice box , my grandparents had one that i remember , ice man and milk man came daily back then , 

I remember those visits.  Our house had a built in ice room under the back steps.  I was insulated and was lined with galvanized iron and was "fed" though a steel door from the driveway.  It held six 50 lb. blocks of ice which was delivered on call.  They also owned the local cold storage lockers where Dad put all of our game and fish, and a half  a steer and a hog, sometimes some chickens.  We'd follow the truck around in hot weather and ger free chunks of ice.  Better than the ice cream man (who was also a welcome and common visitor in the summer time.)

.Milk, cream, butter and cheese were delivered on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and put in an insulated box Dad built and put on the back porch.  It kept the dairy products cool in the summer and above freezing in the winter....and kept the neighborhood critters from stealing things or licking the milk bottles (Heavy glass with waxed cardboard plugs.  Remember those?).

The railroad had ice fields in Evanston,Wyoming that covered acres, and huge insulated ice houses to support the refrigerator cars before they put in mechanical reefer units in each car and killed the ice trade.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I remember the "Ice Man" delivering blocks.

A big set of tongs and a leather pad of some sort on his shoulder, to help block the wet and cold as he carried it in and placed it in the Ice box.

I seem to recall both horse drawn and a truck delivery, but I'm not sure if that was Edmonton or Ottawa, (I was kinda young!)

I recall the Bread and Milk delivery as well, both horse and wagon and by truck.

Ice man? Really? Are you like 120??? :lol:

We had a milk man in the 50's but he drove a truck!

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Ice man? Really? Are you like 120??? :lol:

We had a milk man in the 50's but he drove a truck!

Nope, but I am in my 81st year and living in Canada.

Iceman deliveries were still common into the 1950's and I seem to recall my Aunts talking about the it was a struggle to get my Grandparents to get a refrigerator and an electric stove.

Grandma loved her wood/coal stove, with the big water container on the side, where she could scoop out hot water.

There was another stove was in the summer kitchen.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Nope, but I am in my 81st year and living in Canada.

Iceman deliveries were still common into the 1950's and I seem to recall my Aunts talking about the it was a struggle to get my Grandparents to get a refrigerator and an electric stove.

Grandma loved her wood/coal stove, with the big water container on the side, where she could scoop out hot water.

There was another stove was in the summer kitchen.

i remember those discussions , ice , coal , the outhouse , my grandparents were a bit slow in our area but then they were scotsfolks and not prone to spending moony on luxuries , even tho that was not a real luxury , handling ice and shoveling coal was work - went away shortly before 1960 , i remember the bathroom addition on my grandfolks house about then for the bathroom , i almost remember the furnace change , not quite because i wasnt there for any of that but i remember that weird new oil burner setup with its trunk lines feeding the areas of the house - i helped install the insulation , it was asbestos as was the siding on the house , wasnt till the 70s that i knew that was a bad thing , 

• Like 1

my aunt had ice delivered in Williamsport, PA.  visited one winter and got to see that

was instructed to "Stay out of the icebox--the ice will melt!!" several times

I'm a youthful 77½ years old

Edited by Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L
sun got in my eyes
  • Like 2

yes , im 74 , its been a life of changes hasnt it ? in my fields there were slide rules to calculators to computers , there were phones and faxes to bag phones and then cell phones and those computers , there was a parallel bar and triangles to drafting machines then those computers , 

still not near as drastic as my grandparents saw from the horse and buggy to the car then landing on the moon , not to mention that ice box and outhouse to a refrigerator and indoor bathroom , oh , and my great aunt being the telegrapher at the RR depot to the phones we started with - that were tethered to the wall and shared party lines , let alone going from hand cranks tpo rotary dials to that key pad - i bet that seemed a lot of changes in a lifetime , 

i only saw life after WWII but they saw life from just after the civil war till VN , my folks as well spanned a long era of this countries existence , sometimes i feel like these should get documented for the future generations - im doing what i can here with my fathers and my wifes fathers things , i have what my parents created for my grandparents and before , but im fearing a little that no one will care enough in the future , 

no one today has any idea what an ice box is , a coal furnace or an oil burner , they only know an outhouse if they visit some state or national parks and would never understand that was once normal - they would have no clue of operating a slide rule , few know what a parallel bar is , they could not shift a stick shift car or guess the dimmer switch was operated with your foot on the floor , 

so much taken for granted and so little cared about these days , ill still do what i am doing and leave it for those that will inherit but im not all that confident these efforts will be appreciated these days , i do hold hope in my heart but have less in my head 

• Like 2