SASS Wire Forum

an alpo question

watab kid

im watchin old TV ,so cannon is being followed by a guy that is a threat to the girl , and they pull off into a remote aea - the shootout occurs , the bad guy is dead in the water 30 feet down and they drive off ....mmy question is , and i know i should recall l, but im old , we didnt have cell phones back then - we would need to drive to a pay phone or some other phone to make the call , would we be charged with leaving the scene ? did really shoot the guy ........but when might LE show up if not reported ? 

fun part of this was that one of the witnesses to some of the crime was a draft dodger that didnt want to be caught , he wouldnt testify , those were the days werent they ? not sure what the rest of you did back then but i didnt dodge the draft - i went 1A from a student deferment and got a high number in the lottery - i still dont understand how that was a legal move on the governments part , i would have enlisted had that been otherwise , 

love the gunrack in the back window of the pickup thats loaded 

Edited by watab kid

I drew a 14 in the lottery! They ended the draft a few months later. Back then, I was a happy camper. Today, I sometimes think I missed out. Good or Bad.

I never win anything in the lottery… :blink:

I am pretty sure that leaving the scene to call the police would have been perfectly fine if you gave them your personal details then returned to the scene or remained near the phone you called from so you could be interviewed. 

• Like 1

I'm not aware of a specific crime of not calling the police except in a traffic accident.  Hit and Run.  If you throw dirt over the dead body or dump it in the water after you shoot them, that could be considered Concealing the Death of another.  If you shoot them and leave them where they fell, I don't think there is a criminal law obligation to call the police and provide evidence against yourself.  5th Amendment argument.  

However, the circumstances of failing to call the authorities after the killing could be damaging to your defense if they decide to prosecute.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

If you shoot them and leave them where they fell, I don't think there is a criminal law obligation to call the police and provide evidence against yourself.  5th Amendment argument.  

However, the circumstances of failing to call the authorities after the killing could be damaging to your defense if they decide to prosecute.

If you fail to call the police in a use of force situation, your chances of using self defense in the trial aren't likely to be very good.

The prosecutor is going ask something along the lines of:  "If you felt you were justified in shooting him self defense, why didn't you call the police?"

I can't think of any answer to that question that isn't going to harm your defense

• Like 1

for the record - i dont fault anyone in whatever their thinking was back then anymore --OK EXCEPT HANOI JANE , she should have been prosecuted but her father was heroic in his WWII career , that said ...................

ive never ever won at any gamble i ever took , not in the tickets you buy in the convenience store ,  the pull tabs at the bars , the raffles for all of the good causes , or the slots and tables at las vegas [or local not that i ever really did that] but i 'won' at this one at the time , yet as stated above i always felt i missed something in this life , im still 1H so subject to call up at any time , but i no longer carry the draft card with me , at 74 i doubt they really want this cranky old curmudgeon with ailments and opinions they can no longer mold to their needs , 

i am seeing a lot of things reminiscent of those times that i dont like much , the recent protest movements are foreign led here as they were during VN , the anti-semitic  crap is all BS , and the liberals in this country should start rethinking their DIE agenda as they have just proved they wont live it or believe in it , 

• Like 1