SASS Wire Forum

Chrysler At War

A FB find:

"

In 1940, William Knudsen telephoned K.T. Keller, the chief executive of Chrysler, and asked him if Chrysler could build tanks. “I don’t know,” came the answer. “I’ve never seen one of these things.” Soon after, Chrysler broke ground on what would come to be known as the Detroit Arsenal Tank Plant, situated in what is now the suburb of Warren. Its goal: to build swarms of tanks according to auto-making mass production principles—something never accomplished before.
Even before the factory had been completed, the first Chrysler M3 tank rolled off the assembly line. The walls of the factory were not even up, so engineers brought a steam locomotive in to keep the place warm for the workers during Michigan’s bitter winter of 1940-41. As the factory swelled to 1.25 million square feet, the company switched to M4 Sherman tanks, which were powered by a Frankenstein of a motor. Engineers took five six-cylinder engines that had been used in the Chrysler Royal and Windsor cars before the war and welded them together into one 30-cylinder motor that could pump 425-horsepower to the tank treads.

In the end, the Detroit Arsenal built more tanks than all of the Third Reich during the war years, tanks that roared through enemy lines all the way to Hitler’s Berlin.

WORKERS AT A CHRYSLER PLANT ASSEMBLE TANKS. THE COMPANY'S FIRST TANK ROLLED OFF THE ASSEMBLY LINE EVEN BEFORE THE FACTORY WALLS WERE COMPLETELY BUILT."

FB_IMG_1705432272857.thumb.jpg.5b3cba4cfdac1b559f417b06a84cb85f.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A 30 cylinder engine. Wow! 

Let’s see. 1 engine is about 24” long so 5 would be 120” so 10 feet. Dang! It would NOT fit in my Miata….

:lol:

Had to edit. Inserted “NOT”

Edited by Pat Riot
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

A 30 cylinder engine. Wow! 

Let’s see. 1 engine is about 24” long so 5 would be 120” so 10 feet. Dang! It would fit in my Miata….

:lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_A57_multibank

• Like 3

Joe, you may already be familiar with this channel, Tank Chats from the Tank Museum. Pretty interesting stuff. My only beef is some the English accents are so heavy that it's hard for my feeble hearing to understand. Closed captions help some, but the text is often way behind the narrator.

https://www.youtube.com/@thetankmuseum

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Joe, you may already be familiar with this channel, Tank Chats from the Tank Museum. Pretty interesting stuff. My only beef is some the English accents are so heavy that it's hard for my feeble hearing to understand. Closed captions help some, but the text is often way behind the narrator.

https://www.youtube.com/@thetankmuseum

Thank you!  I'm sure that I've run across that channel before, but it doesn't hurt to have another link.

The Periscope channel and the Imperial War Museum also have some good films.

• Thanks 2

@Pat Riot You don't want that Chrysler Christmas tree, swap in a Ford GAA V8.  There is a reason most of those A57 went in Lend Lease tanks, Americans used most of the GAA tanks.  Regardless of that, your Miata will perform much better with the DOHC V8 that is a 1/4 the weight and almost 1/2 again the power. 

Pat!! The engine WOULD fit, but then YOU wouldn’t!!  <_<

• Haha 2

Looking at that picture I have a couple of question, first off why would they lift a tank that high over a floor with nothing on it ( a foot would be enough) and number two, how many of todays OSHA inspectors would have had a heart attack and died on the spot seeing that !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

Looking at that picture I have a couple of question, first off why would they lift a tank that high over a floor with nothing on it ( a foot would be enough)

Because there might be something 6 foot high out of the frame.

2 hours ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

Looking at that picture I have a couple of question, first off why would they lift a tank that high over a floor with nothing on it ( a foot would be enough) and number two, how many of todays OSHA inspectors would have had a heart attack and died on the spot seeing that !

Looks like they are transporting the tank to the opening on the train.  The chocks are already there with men standing by.

They were working to produce many tanks as quickly as possible.  They wouldn't have taken the time to lift the tank that high and lower it again unless it was necessary. 

Edited by sassnetguy50
  • Thanks 2

Guess that’s all possible but having worked around overhead cranes and lifts most of my life and seen a couple of really nasty accidents when things fell off lifts and lifting straps failed, smart folks don’t lift heavy loads until they have to, of course you don’t get complaints from guys who were under something heavy when it fell and in those days people were smart enough to not walk under a tank in the air, just looked like a stupid thing to do that’s all

• Like 1

When I posted this I hadn't realized that they were loading rail cars inside the building.  I thought that was an assembly line and the one on the lift being taken off.

Looking at both the photo in the OP and the action in the video it doesn't look like there's a lot of unnecessary travel.