SASS Wire Forum

Clay Dot shotshell loads

Jack Spade

What loads are you guys shooting in 12 ga with clay dot powder and AAHS hulls?  

14gr. Clay-Dot, grey Clay Buster's CB0178-12 wad, 7/8oz #8 shot. I use  STS hulls and some AA. Same load.

• Like 2

That's what I was thinking but wanted another opinion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

14gr. Clay-Dot, grey Clay Buster's CB0178-12 wad, 7/8oz #8 shot. I use  STS hulls and some AA. Same load.

I load 1 oz of shot with 14.6 gr Clays or Clay Dot....works well

Kajun

• Like 1

It has been in stock off and on at Natchez and other online suppliers.  I happened to be in a small gun shop that had three 1 pound bottles for $32 a bottle so I bought them all.  My new shooter is only able to shoot one match a month right now so that should last him a while. 

Good stuff.  Yeah, 14 grains will make a nice light load with 7/8 or 1 ounce shot.   I'm using 16 with an ounce and that's plenty.

good luck, GJ 

• Like 1

I picked up 5 lbs of Clay Dot several weeks ago but it was about $44/lb.  I'm just about out of Clays and my understanding is that Clay Dot is a direct substitute for Clays.

I'm loading 14.8 gr. of Clays with 1 oz of shot.   

• Like 1

I loaded 14.4 Clay Dot with 7/8 or 1oz shot.  I recently changed to Hodgdon’s Perfect Pattern, it’s about $240 for an 8lb jug. I load 11gr. behind 1oz shot in a 7/8oz wad to get the height correct. It has about the same or less felt recoil as Winchester AA Featherlites. I’ve used this for 4 or 5 matches and very happy so far.

Randy

• Like 1