SASS Wire Forum

1851 Navy Conversion questions

Blind Squirrel

I was at a gun show recently and ran across a Uberti 1851 Navy Conversion. I'm thinking about trying to pick up a set of them chambered in 38 Spl. with a 5.5" barrel length.

My questions are:

- Where can I find them for sale?

- What would be a fair price to pay for them in today's market?

- Is there an "expert" or "go to" gunsmith or person here on the forums that can tell me what (if anything) that I might want to do to them to smooth/slick them up.

Thanks!

Edited by Blind Squirrel
Added a question to the list.

i saw a list of items on taylors site when they sent me that extra cylinder deal email , but not certain it had what your after , i suspect they can get you what you want tho , 

• Like 1

I picked up a pare of 51 C Mason conversions from Taylor’s last year. 5.5” octagon barrels in 38 special. They had the nickel plated or blued in stock.

If you buy a set of 1851 mason conversions you really need to look up Larsen E Pettifoggers instructions on tuning the 1851 revolvers, it’s basically the same gun only converted to cartridge and his tuning tips should be engraved on a gold plate and stored someplace safe forever. All kidding aside his instructions are very straight forward, easy to follow, great pics and show you why you need to do each step. You can probably find him right here on the forum most any week

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Lead Monger said:

I picked up a pare of 51 C Mason conversions from Taylor’s last year. 5.5” octagon barrels in 38 special. They had the nickel plated or blued in stock.

Would you happen to be able to provide a link to this Taylor's?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, WymoreWrangler SASS 46187L said:

Run N Iron has tuned all of my conversion models...

Can you provide contact information for Run N Iron?

Thanks.

Edited by Blind Squirrel

49 minutes ago, Blind Squirrel said:

Would you happen to be able to provide a link to this Taylor's

Look up Taylor's and Co. Firearms ... Google works.

Dealers should sell cheaper than going direct as Taylor's doesn't like to compete with their distribution channel.

Phantom

Edited by Phantom, SASS #54973
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just before the 2023 season started I bought a '51 Mason Richards by Uberti. A nice looking gun and it handles nicely as well. I like it so much I probably used it more often than any of my other guns. I have the long barrel, is chambered in 38 LC/38 Spl and I like it in the cross draw. 

Mine came in assembled kit form, as do most. I referred to the Pettifogger files more than once to get the old girl running. I needed a few parts and some advice as well. I like the customer service that Taylors provided me. 

They do have a rather annoying feature. The ejector rod lines up with the cylinder before the half cock stop. if you go to the stop, the rod misses the chamber mouth. No, not a defect, that is the way they came back in the day, and the new ones do as well. 

Mine was in horrible shape, test fired once and stored dirty for about 20 years. The barrel is pitted from the forcing cone in for about 3/8 of an inch. In addition the timing was off, and I needed some parts to fix that. I also moved the barrel back to take up some of the slop. IIRC I also replaced or tuned up the firing pin (pierced primers). The new ones are probably better, I can't see them being any worse. I also worked on the main spring, too heavy. It would drive the firing pin through the primer every time. WSP and CCI SP. 

If you will eventually sell your guns, clean them. It's OK to run them hard, but please do not put them away wet/dirty. If you are fussy and like perfect guns, don't buy one. They run just fine loose and sloppy.

I have a '66 for a rifle, and my '97 just seems out of period, so I broke down and bought a SxS. I'm no purist, but shooting a '97 for a shotgun when my other guns are 73s or older just didn't seem right.  

Masonrichards51.thumb.jpg.f8a7622f8c6e7f4a4d95ce43a734b594.jpg

BB

• Like 2

I found a used 5.5” barreled model in a local pawn shop and payed about $400.00 for it. Ordered another one new in box through gun broker for something like $550.00. Installed Wolf springs in both and they work well enough Pokin A Long adopted them. I ordered a pare directly from Taylor’s with Nickel finish and 5.5” barrels, added Wolf springs and gave them to PAL to get my blued ones back. We shoot them a lot. 
I agree, if you like to do a little work on your own revolvers or have interest in what’s involved in getting smooth, reliable function look up Larsen E Pettifogger’s instructions for Uberti and Pietta revolvers. 

9AE2E86C-164A-4BC5-9E02-7932C9EE10D2.jpeg

• Like 2

well those are very nice , now you got me thinking and thats never a good thing when it comes to guns , im going to pick up an 1851 this week from a local source - i have a conversion for it but now im looking at these and thinking it might be nice not to pull the cylinder to load it , this is not good on my wallet 

• Haha 1

These are the 1851 Navy conversion in practice  but they are completely designed to fire modern 38 special ammo with standard diameter bullets. Plus the loading gate, ejector rod and awesome sight picture. I also play with the aftermarket conversion cylinders in my 1861 Navy’s from time to time. Being 36 cal. Cap & ball they have .375 diameter barrels and don’t group standard 38 bullets well. Like many, I load 148g HBWC 38s in 38 cases special for the cap guns. They work very well.

At one time, Cimarron was cataloguing the 1851 Richards/Mason in multiple barrel length.  4 3/4, 5 1//2 and 7 1/2.  I don't see that availability now.  It may be a "Call and See" kind of thing.  For a while was the same for the Open Top.  Multiple barrel lengths.  It may well be, with the reduction in demand, those options have been discontinued.  Still worth a Call.

Once you get an answer from Cimarron or Taylors, DO go thru a dealer.  Preferably one you know and trust.  You will get a better price than ordering direct from any importer.

Edited by Colorado Coffinmaker
Add some information
  • Like 2

On 1/2/2024 at 7:38 PM, Blind Squirrel said:

Would you happen to be able to provide a link to this Taylor's?

Thanks.

Can you provide contact information for Run N Iron?

Thanks.

http://runniron.com/contact/index.html  ask for Lonnie

• Like 1

100% Spot on .

Phantom & Coffinmaker both are giving you the best information your going to find here .

I would recommend Buds gun shop  or  Lipsy's 

Rooster 

Edited by Rooster Ron Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple sets of open-tops (old ones from Navy Arms / Uberti), a good source to action job is to search for “tuning the uberti open top” for some great articles by Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933. But all I did was deburr the internals with jeweler file an lighten up the hammer spring slightly. They’re great / smooth shooters for many years. But only bring em out a few times per year an clean after every shoot.

IMAG0510.jpg

• Like 1

so , ive had a 45colt conversion cylinder in my 1858 remington C&B revolver for a number of years , i love shooting it and fiddlin with the relkload process , im not in any hurry when shooting these , i shoot my SASS reloads in it and ir works very well , this is the standard revolver with the 8" bbl ,

the 1851 i picked up recently was purchased for a 38 conversion , it did come from taylors and it came with two C&B cylinders , ive not shot it yet with the conversion cylinder but im looking forward to doing that when it warms up with my SASS 38 reloads , this also is the standard revolver with the 8" bbl , the cylinder fit perfect and functions excellently , 

now im looking for delivery of one of the shorter 1851s with the 5 1/2" bbl that i intend to fit the krist 22lr conversion cylinder to , i know that arruacy is not going to be good with a 36cal bbl and a 22cal bullet - thats not why i got it , i just like shooting 22s and i like the idea of shooting a 22 from an 1851 - i might even think on sleeving the bbl down the road but for now im just wanting to plink a few targets with it for fun , 

thats why i bought the 22lr conversion unit for my sharps 4570 and fitted out two springfield M1903 variants with conversions and bought the units to convert a few semiauto pistols as well , i just enjoy shooting them for fun , BTW most all my ARs have conversions as well or a dedicated version with them , 

i collect 22s - its been a hobby till it became an obsession , mostly old but then it depends on what you call old anymore , i just love 22s of all eras and types , as well as anything converted to 22cal , i have a colt 1st gen SAA that was converted from 38wcf to 22lr either by the factory or a really great gunsmith