SASS Wire Forum

It’s rare but it can happen

Utah Bob #35998

Been there!! DONE THAT!!

Hot ‘n’ sweaty and the follower slipped out of my fingers at the loading table.

Ruined a new pair of britches, (Not what you think! It sent big shards of brass into the groin area) dented up the magazine, and caused me to have to pick brass out of sensitive areas for several years!

It scared hell out of some folks over in the next bay! We were at the range after a match, practicing. It was a hundred two degrees in the shade and I was sweating like an ice cold bottle full of beer!

It took several hours of careful metal work to repair the magazine too!

Several years ago Mary and I were at a state match just hob-nobin. We were visiting with a lady whos husband was shooting for the first time in a while because he was recovering from bad hand injuries from a magazine tube explosion.  He came back to his cart where we were standing and we had a short visit while he prepared for next stage.  I asked him how it happened.  He didn't say.  I got the drift that he didn't want to talk about it.

Watching the video, he revealed that he actually violated another Henry “No No”!

DON’T incline the barrel/magazine upward and allow your cartridges to slide down the magazine!  Lay the rifle flat on the table or whatever prop you’re reloading on and slide the cartridges in.  Use the next cartridge to push the one before it into the magazine and repeat until you have all cartridges in the tube. Then, if you’re using one, slide your spacer into the channel and carefully lower the follower until the stack is all the way down.

This will prevent detonation in the magazine, unless the rifle is dropped or slammed down from either end.

Archived