SASS Wire Forum

Blueing contamination? (big pictures)

sassnetguy50

Found this Smith & Wesson 38 Military & Police Model of 1905 38 Special revolver while researching S&W 38 models.  The ad stated “The cylinder and barrel show signs of bluing contamination.” It looks someone took the frame and ejector rod from one gun then added the barrel, crane and cylinder from another one.  Have you seen this before?  Is it common in certain environments or different older steels or blueing methods?  

D438AD7B-2BC5-4E60-A7BF-CEF26F5E09C6.jpeg

7F6EB887-D3E5-45CF-9F11-1DC57C0D92D1.jpeg

9FD8CF8C-31DA-4CC6-97CC-5761C5B040B7.jpeg

A537475C-7AE1-4EE4-ACD2-69ADDDC97487.jpeg

I agree with Subdeacon Joe; although it might be a "naturally acquired" patina.  If the price is appealing (low),  I would still consider purchasing it.  Everyone should have a beater that they can take to the range and not worry about dings.

edit:

If you are worried about a "Frankengun", assembled from parts , you can check if the serial numbers match.  Look for them on the bottom of the grip frame, on the back of the cylinder (around the rim, outside the chamber openings), and on the barrel flat just above the ejector rod (you can see them but not read them in the last photo).  Before 1957 when S&W began using numerical model numbers, the serial number was not found on the frame under the yoke.

Sorry to disagree, but the numbers found on older S&Ws used assembly numbers on the frame crane area, cylinder rear, these have nothing to do with the model or serial number. Once the gun was assembled, they were no longer important.

10 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Sorry to disagree, but the numbers found on older S&Ws used assembly numbers on the frame crane area, cylinder rear, these have nothing to do with the model or serial number. Once the gun was assembled, they were no longer important.

I said the serial number was NOT found on the frame under the yoke before 1957.  Is there still disagreement? I have several pre- 1957 S & Ws with matching serial numbers in the three locations I described:  grip frame, barrel flat, cylinder face.

Okay, I mis-read! Yeesh, it's only the first time I've been wrong in the last.....oh.....3 minutes....:rolleyes:

I have seen blued guns with that purple patina. I have no idea what causes it. 
My S&W 442-1 has a purple patina in certain light, but only the barrel and cylinder. It is definitely not as pronounced as the revolver in the post @sassnetguy50posted. 

I actually rather like it. 

No, I’m not buying it nor do I think it is a frankengun.  That example was to point out the contrast in color.  I’m genuinely curious about how the blueing changed so dramatically.  

Pat, agreed, the purple bluing on old shotguns looks great in the sun against the green skeet field.  The brown/orange mixed in this one looks like a case color gone wrong, covered by purple blueing, not for me.

9 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

No, I’m not buying it nor do I think it is a frankengun.  That example was to point out the contrast in color.  I’m genuinely curious about how the blueing changed so dramatically.  

Pat, agreed, the purple bluing on old shotguns looks great in the sun against the green skeet field.  The brown/orange mixed in this one looks like a case color gone wrong, covered by purple blueing, not for me.

Where is it for sale? I am curious. 

My original pair of Remington revolver replicas were reblued a number of years ago by a really good gunsmith. I asked for something unique and he came up with that same “purplish” color. I love it!!  Those two are just about ready for another freshening up and I want to have them redone in that same finish. I asked if he could do it again and he reassured me that he could.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived